8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Bertrand Daoust
Hi guys,

What is the best way to bypass the system without getting the electronic warning message (if there's any)?

I have a problem with mine that gives me a warning message everytime I drive the car on not perfectly smooth roads. That means all the times!
It comes and goes away by itself but very annoying...

Not even sure if the system would really work like it should in case of an accident after all these years...

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
By worf
You gonna be at Camp 928?
By maddog2020
it appears that power for the ecu's goes through the air bag controller so removing it is a bit risky depending on the year. I think most disconnect the airbags and take the bulb out of the cluster.
By Schocki
How about reading the fault memory of the ECU?
By Bertrand Daoust
worf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:16 pm You gonna be at Camp 928?
Unfortunately not.
Not allowed to cross the border right now. Covid restriction.

Unfortunately, I don't have a tool to read faults.

I read this trick on two other sites (928 realated and 944 related):
It is to unplug the airbag controller & link pins 3 & 4 (do it properly with a spare plug) on the car side (NB the female terminals are on the car side). Like this:
image.png
It looks like it's just what I did with the RDK system... And this worked.

Can you guys confirm this would work?
I mean not getting any airbag warning message on the dash pod.
Don't mind much loosing the airbag protection system.
I know this not ideal but realy want to get rid of those error message...

Thanks again! :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
Wiring harness and controller are integral pre-GTS.

No plug.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 pm it appears that power for the ecu's goes through the air bag controller so removing it is a bit risky depending on the year. I think most disconnect the airbags and take the bulb out of the cluster.
You will still get the warning every XX-minutes on the LCD display.
By maddog2020
plug #3 of the instrument cluster harness has the output from the airbag controller as well. I don't have the schematics handy but its there.
By Bertrand Daoust
worf wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:37 am Wiring harness and controller are integral pre-GTS.

No plug.
:frown:

Any other way?

Thanks!
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:19 am plug #3 of the instrument cluster harness has the output from the airbag controller as well. I don't have the schematics handy but its there.
Ja. The ‘trick’ may be in the wiring diagrams. It may be that only one or two pins to the cluster carry ‘the warning.’

Of course, isn’t it still rather seriously illegal to disable or otherwise tamper with an airbag system?

Maybe not in Canada.
By maddog2020
it is illegal for a paid mechanic or dealership to disable the airbag system. no federal laws preventing owners from doing so.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:37 pm Plug 3 pin 11 on a 90 model

Did you trace back to the controller?

Since there are two airbag warnings (the idiot light and the LCD message) there may be two leads to the cluster. I did this tracing a couple of years ago but don't remember what I came up with. I also don't know if they are active when grounded or need to float to be silent, or one of each.

In any case, if an owner were to disable the air bag system, such an owner would want to remove all three pills. I would think that having three explosive charges not connected to their controller is bad juju. The two on the passenger side are uncomplicated to remove once the dash is off. The steering wheel pill is integral to the cover. It is unclear to me if the pill can be removed without damaging the cover.

Depending upon the owner's location and inspections thereby required, a non-airbag steering wheel might be the ticket.
By Stepson
Worf, C'mon man! (said in my best Biden impression) Where is your sense of adventure??!

I can't believe that you don't want to leave unattended explosive charges in a passenger cockpit. Think of the excitement that could be generated each time one of those things exploded on their own. Life might never be the same for those folks present when the explosive device is activated. I know that I would have to change underwear after such excitement :roflmao: :roflmao:
By maddog2020
Stepson wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:31 pm Worf, C'mon man! (said in my best Biden impression) Where is your sense of adventure??!

I can't believe that you don't want to leave unattended explosive charges in a passenger cockpit. Think of the excitement that could be generated each time one of those things exploded on their own. Life might never be the same for those folks present when the explosive device is activated. I know that I would have to change underwear after such excitement :roflmao: :roflmao:
that post could have gotten you a ban on facebook.
Last edited by maddog2020 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Stepson
maddog2020 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:21 pm
that post could have gotten you a ban on facebook.
A ban? Because of my Biden impression? I didn't think it was THAT bad.
Because I used the words Explosive, cockpit, and underwear in the same post? Well, maybe...
or because I used 2 emojis at the end ? That must be it!
By Bertrand Daoust
Just a follow-up on this.

Looks like I fixed the problem. At least for now...

A weeks ago, I remembered that the problem went away for a while the last time I changed the water pump (2017)...
I then followed Luc's advice to clean and open all the male pins in the 14 pin connector.

Et voilà!
No more warning since then (1500 km).
There was probably one (or more) pin that was not tight enough and was causing voltage fluctuation on rought roads.

That's the only thing I can see...
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]