8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By maddog2020
I’ve done every other rubber bit in the front and rear suspension. I’m waiting on rotor hats so time to pull the suspension for the umpteenth time..
New bits

Old bits

Most hated substance on the planet
By maddog2020
New favorite tool of the week. I bought a pair of these about a year ago to help position exhaust. I like the threaded part so you can use it like a floor version of the shop stand.

They are RV levelers. Not to take the place of jack stands but unbelievably frickin handy for tons of stuff. In this case holding the upper control arm parallel to the ground so you can get the strut assembly out easier.

to drop the front shock out, I unbolt the ball joint from the lower control arm, loosen the rear lower control arm bolts but do not remove. Then I remove the front bolts for the lower control arm. ( I do not remove the bolts holding the bracket for the front control arm bolts) Lower control arm pulls down out of the way, shock drops out easy peasy.
By Gary Knox
Sterling,

LOVE the support jack for the hub. I've got an A8 and the GTS to do suspension work on over the next year. Just ordered a pair. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary :jumper:
By maddog2020
Gary Knox wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:51 pm Sterling,

LOVE the support jack for the hub. I've got an A8 and the GTS to do suspension work on over the next year. Just ordered a pair. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary :jumper:
Works like a charm.

This is also another favorite

Also just as a note the new front strut bushing is 10mm taller than my 30 year old one.

By Sazerac
Also just as a note the new front strut bushing is 10mm taller than my 30 year old one.

Hmmm... That's interesting. Never thought about that one.
By worf
Sazerac wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:18 am Hmmm... That's interesting. Never thought about that one.
https://openroad.site/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2023
maddog2020 liked this
By Gary Knox
Sterling,

Can you post the height of the new strut mount bearing? That would help all of us know how much ours has collapsed whenever we start working on refurbishing the front suspension.

Thanks,

Gary
By worf
Gary Knox wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:06 pm Sterling,

Can you post the height of the new strut mount bearing? That would help all of us know how much ours has collapsed whenever we start working on refurbishing the front suspension.
I already did: https://openroad.site/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2023
By Gary Knox
worf wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:22 am
Gary Knox wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:06 pm Sterling,

I already did: https://openroad.site/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2023

David,

The only number I saw on this post regarding the strut mount is the 'the new one is 10mm taller'.

Being relatively new to this site, I was not aware that the light grey print in your post was a link. As I peruse that post, it looks like the new ones are 80 mm 'tall' - correct?

Thanks,

Gary
By worf
@Gary Knox

Correct: the new ones I measured were about 80mm thick measured from the point where the spring plate captures the end of the coil.

@maddog2020 It will be interesting to see if the new mounts have any initial “settle” and the magnitude if any.
By maddog2020
Cleaning up after replacing the front strut bushings and finding you left out one of the washers that goes between the bushings.   Don’t know which side I left off.

:banghead:

Cell phones come in so handy these days...

This one has the washer

This one doesn’t

I’m down to a strut removal in under 5 minutes.... :order:
By worf
BTDT ate the labor. Sucks. But, I guarantee you’ll never do it again!

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]