By Voith
While it may look bit of europe-ish, it is pure American vehicle, developed and built in Detroit. :)

My relatively new daily driver and I must say so far it's pretty impressive (to me at least). :mrgreen:

I was never big fan of driving on electricity and especially the Tesla hype, hated prius and it's tree hugging crowd showing it down our throats, but now that I drive on electricity for few weeks, I must say that by far the best part of ev is I don't need to stop on gas stations anymore. This waste of life alone is pretty much worth it. 80% cheaper per km is nice too.

20200821_201156.jpg
20200817_190412.jpg
20200821_195358.jpg
20200904_075431.jpg
20200823_194827.jpg
20200903_140026.jpg
20200904_070920.jpg
20200903_181433.jpg
20200830_123750.jpg
20200905_141542.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
Nice ride! It's too bad some of the best Opels don't have similar equivalents here in the USA. I mean the platforms are the same but often times the European version has a better suspension, engine, and more upgraded interior materials.

If gas prices where you live are anything like Germany or Italy, I can see an electric vehicle being a huge benefit to fight those gas bills!
By Voith
Didn't know that but it makes sense I guess, Opel wants to compete to Bmw and Mercedes in germany and rest of europe and has to be close to performance of those two.

Gas here at this point is at 10-15 years low, 1.0€/L. Which in your terms should be $4.6/gal. This is considered crazy cheap, before kungflu situation it was closer to 1.6€/L.. ($7,15/gal)

Either way commute to job and back on electricity is peanuts compared to gas. I've kept diesel Opel for trailering stuff arround. :)
By fpena944
Voith wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:23 am Didn't know that but it makes sense I guess, Opel wants to compete to Bmw and Mercedes in germany and rest of europe and has to be close to performance of those two.

Gas here at this point is at 10-15 years low, 1.0€/L. Which in your terms should be $4.6/gal. This is considered crazy cheap, before kungflu situation it was closer to 1.6€/L.. ($7,15/gal)

Either way commute to job and back on electricity is peanuts compared to gas. I've kept diesel Opel for trailering stuff arround. :)
Makes sense and Opel should be in a position to compete against them - after all they have the backing of GM to help with R&D plus advertising.

Yes we're spoiled here for sure. Once gas gets above $4 people here panic.

Actually about 8 years ago we were in northern Italy and Slovenia. Visited Predjama Castle and Postojna Cave. I drive a Fiat turbo diesel 1.3 which thankfully was pretty good with gas mileage! We need to go back now as my son is old enough to appreciate the sights.
By Voith
Small world :D Yeah small diesels are common here. Did you do the full tour of the cave? The long version of tour is impressive.

I drove both volt and ampera before buying this one and ampera has stiffer ride too, it's not mentioned in that article. Also no Onstar integration which is great. You can't get rid of onstar completely in US volts. :)
By fpena944
Voith wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:14 am Small world :D Yeah small diesels are common here. Did you do the full tour of the cave? The long version of tour is impressive.

I drove both volt and ampera before buying this one and ampera has stiffer ride too, it's not mentioned in that article. Also no Onstar integration which is great. You can't get rid of onstar completely in US volts. :)
Yes we spent at least a couple of hours in there. Quite interesting and amazing. Made the caves back in the USA seem tiny in comparison!
By Voith
Didn't take long for something to shit itself.. :)

US volts don't have this lock as it is european law thing, so there is that..

By Scott at Team Harco
Voith wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 am While it may look bit of europe-ish, it is pure American vehicle, developed and built in Detroit. :)

My relatively new daily driver and I must say so far it's pretty impressive (to me at least). :mrgreen:

I was never big fan of driving on electricity and especially the Tesla hype, hated prius and it's tree hugging crowd showing it down our throats, but now that I drive on electricity for few weeks, I must say that by far the best part of ev is I don't need to stop on gas stations anymore. This waste of life alone is pretty much worth it. 80% cheaper per km is nice too.
I'm not sure this little fella shares your enthusiasm.

amdavid liked this
By Voith
He's fan of ice cars, this electric stuff lacks the cosy sounds and vibrations babies love. :relaxed:

Replaced the stupid lock and its shear bolts with regular M8 and coded keys to new lock.. Works as intended again. :grinning:
20201002_161923.jpg
20201002_161920.jpg
20201002_164815.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
Voith wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:01 am He's fan of ice cars, this electric stuff lacks the cosy sounds and vibrations babies love. :relaxed:

Replaced the stupid lock and its shear bolts with regular M8 and coded keys to new lock.. Works as intended again. :grinning:

20201002_161923.jpg
20201002_161920.jpg
20201002_164815.jpg
It wasn't still under warranty? Stinks that you had to make these kinds of repairs on your own but glad it's all fixed!

As for the baby and the rumble of the ICE engine, yes I can absolutely attest to the success that we had with putting my son in the 911 to get him to fall asleep.

This was mine about 6 years ago, the car is the same, the kid looks quite different! :grin:
By Voith
It had warranty as I bought it from company and they are obliged to have at least one month warranty on sold used cars.

Pretty amazing you got that seat in the back of 911. :smiley:
By Voith
~140mpg in 4500 miles Ive done since I bought it.

Pretty awesome. :smile:

By lupo.sk
Voith wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:45 am ~140mpg in 4500 miles Ive done since I bought it.

Pretty awesome. :smile:

Wow, almost like my cayenne turbo S with the overall consumption in the same time frame!

Granted, I only drove it 4 miles to my indy and it has been idling a few times there since it has been sitting there since spring waiting for the engine to be pulled.
By Voith
What's wrong with it? There are few cayennes here selling for dirt cheap, I am toying with idea to buy one when I get out of house inflicted bankrupcy.. :biggrin: But then again I'm leaning more to some nice older G wagen.

Always wondered how much winter affects electric car range. Got the answer now, quite a bit. About one third actually. With generous cabin heat, It will only do about 50km's when it's below zero outside. Remote preheating is awesome though.

By lupo.sk
Voith wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:27 am What's wrong with it? There are few cayennes here selling for dirt cheap, I am toying with idea to buy one when I get out of house inflicted bankrupcy.. :biggrin: But then again I'm leaning more to some nice older G wagen.

Always wondered how much winter affects electric car range. Got the answer now, quite a bit. About one third actually. With generous cabin heat, It will only do about 50km's when it's below zero outside. Remote preheating is awesome though.

Left side turbo lost a couple of blades and the engine ate them. 3 cylinders have 0 compression and I have essentially a 2 stroke cayenne.
By Voith
Ouch..
By amdavid
The EV world is tempting. I have a 5 mile commute with 2 stops..an EV would work nice, however I'd probably just get an Ebike.

Double up on the ouch.. :bigcry:
Voith wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:20 amOuch..
By Voith
Volts are cheap in us, get one that's in good shape. You'll love it.
By Gator_86_951
I will probably buy my electric smart car when the lease is done. The residual is $14k, but there is no way it will be worth that given that they left the market. Assuming the battery is in good shape, I will just negotiate over the phone and buy it. Its the best car for our situation here. Its basically all pre-war residential and old town is from the 1800s. Electric cars are hilarious and awesome at the same time.
By Voith
how many miles do you get out of full charge?

EVs are fun but overhyped imo. Good for some things liek daily commute but I love gasoline and diesel powered stuff and don't see future without em. :smile:
By Voith
There are some drawbacks also with Detroit made cars..

By Scott at Team Harco
Voith wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:02 pm There are some drawbacks also with Detroit made cars..

Not sure what you're implying. Wheel bearings have a service limit.

My A4s seem to eat rear wheel bearings.
By Voith
It probably depends on road types car was driving on but I have dealt with lots of cars and I never ever came across a 100k mile car that would have bad bearings, let alone $60k car. Also seen and drove multiple company owned 200-300k mile cars with first bearings.

Then again OE and replacement are Aisin bearings made in Korea so probably this has something to do with it.
By fpena944
Voith wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:32 am It probably depends on road types car was driving on but I have dealt with lots of cars and I never ever came across a 100k mile car that would have bad bearings, let alone $60k car. Also seen and drove multiple company owned 200-300k mile cars with first bearings.

Then again OE and replacement are Aisin bearings made in Korea so probably this has something to do with it.
I was going to ask, how many miles? Because yes bearings go after a while but it usually takes quite some time or some really hard miles.
By ny991
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:14 am
Voith wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:02 pm There are some drawbacks also with Detroit made cars..

My A4s seem to eat rear wheel bearings.
My last four Audi’s had wheel bearings go around 50k miles. I do believe it had more to to with the local town using sand instead of salt during the winter. I’ve moved out of that town so we’ll see what happens with my A5.
By ny991
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:20 pm I rally the shit out of my cars. I wonder if that has any impact?

No, not a chance! :rockon:
By Scott at Team Harco
ny991 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:01 pm
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:20 pm I rally the shit out of my cars. I wonder if that has any impact?

No, not a chance! :rockon:
Good to know. :beerchug:
By Voith
My workhorse opel today. :)

By Voith
Found this pic on the server yesterday.. My father in ~1975 with his modified Opel Manta A. :biggrin:

By Voith
Switched the tires to summer Conti Eco 6 and what a massive difference in mileage. I can now do about 110km (68 miles) on one charge which is quite spectacular considering car is 8 years old.

Never thought tires make such a difference.

By Voith
Did over 80 miles on one charge on sunday. :biggrin:
20210516_203236.jpg
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]