Mid-engine cars
By Cuda911
Well, a week into this site and no Boxter forum yet, so here we go! I tracked my 996 a bit before going the Boxster route for track. Here are my '99 (purple) and '03 (silver).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amdavid liked this
By amdavid
187k when I sold it a couple years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By CharlieC
My 2004 Anniversary Model. (sold in 2014)
D20_0696.JPG
By CharlieC
Current car: 2012 Boxster S Black Edition
D20_3048.JPG
By Skyhawk172
01e57c9aa8f2a69f13f19bc1394b6d468f5f249122.jpg
By amdavid
What's all this 420 stuff.....?? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Cuda911 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 pm Well, a week into this site and no Boxter forum yet, so here we go! I tracked my 996 a bit before going the Boxster route for track. Here are my '99 (purple) and '03 (silver).
By fpena944
Cuda911 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 pm Well, a week into this site and no Boxter forum yet, so here we go! I tracked my 996 a bit before going the Boxster route for track. Here are my '99 (purple) and '03 (silver).
So how does the Boxster compare to the 996 on the track?

Do you really lose out on that out-of-the-corner power that you get with the rear-engine weight? I imagine the Boxster is more forgiving if you make a mistake but how else do they differ?
By amdavid
The boxster takes less work to drive fast and it is easier to "feel" the limit. Steering feel is similar in terms of light/heavy. When you throw a boxster into a corner it's a lighter feel (obviously) and is easier to toss back and forth....and because of the lighter weight they move pretty good considering smaller motor/s. However, nothing compares to jumping on a 911 out of a corner!
By amdavid
A huge take away from owning older 911's vs the boxster is how much 911 has grown over the years and how LARGO it is post or around 997 iterations. Smaller cars always seem more toss-able, because they are.
By fpena944
Yeah you could see it even with just the 997 to 991 transition. Look at the difference in size:
image.png
By Cuda911
fpena944 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 pm
So how does the Boxster compare to the 996 on the track?

Do you really lose out on that out-of-the-corner power that you get with the rear-engine weight? I imagine the Boxster is more forgiving if you make a mistake but how else do they differ?
They are quite different on the track. You have to work the Boxster harder, and maintain revs. I like the power of the 996 better, but Boxster is fun to push hard and abuse.
By amdavid
My perspective was indeed the street/mountain road experience, no track...

Yes on working the boxster harder....depending on the vintage and motor of said boxster, the 987's got a bit more peppy.
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:23 pm They are quite different on the track. You have to work the Boxster harder, and maintain revs. I like the power of the 996 better, but Boxster is fun to push hard and abuse.
By KevinRohrer
My 09S, which now has 73k on it.

amdavid, milrad liked this
By G8RB8
2000 base ~135000mi.

CharlieC, amdavid liked this
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Twenty-four years ago today, I took delivery of a 1997 Boxster. The story begins in the fall of 1994, when, after reading magazine articles on the Boxster concept car, I walked into the local Porsche dealer and plopped down a $500 deposit to get on “the list”. I was 31 years of age at the time; the dealer was happy to collect interest on my money for a few years, with no guarantee the car will even be built!

Two years later, the magazines started doing reviews on the first newly designed Porsche in ~20 years (since the 928) – the first normal road car to employ a water cooled flat six and Brembo mono-block brake calipers. The car that would become the ultimate savior of Porsche as an independent car company for years to come. I collected every magazine I could, and made a videotape copy of the Boxster reviews on the Motorweek and Autoweek TV shows. I also taped the original 2 Boxster commercials, both of which first aired during the 1997 Superbowl, and now easily found on the internet.

In mid-January of ‘97, the dealership sent me an invitation to the “Boxster Introduction Party”, which I attended; I came away with additional brochures, an ordering guide, and a few other trinkets. The dealerships were provided with a base (striped down) Guards Red manual as a demo, which stood front and center at the party – everyone there poked and prodded it – this was very new stuff back then. In the weeks to follow I poured over the information deciding, with my limited budget, how I wanted to spec my car while I waited my turn to order.

In early February, I got the call to come in, take a test drive of that demo, and spec my order. Prior to this, after hours upon hours of self-debate, I decided on Glacier White, with the only options being Boxster Red full leather, upgraded amp with door speakers, and black Boxster logo floor mats. Since Glacier White was a new color for ’97, I was a little hesitant - I had never seen it in person - only on the printed color swatch in the brochure. Wouldn’t you know, when I showed up to the dealer, there was a brand new 993 parked out front in Glacier White - it was meant to be! From that test drive, the things that stand out the most in my memory is the wonderful, wining sound of that flat-6 over my shoulders and those bulbous, red fenders rising over the front and rear flanks. I drove the car top down as the Jersey weather was cooperative that winter day. After the drive, I placed my order – now the waiting begins – the dealer told me it will be about 6 months, putting delivery in middle summer!

With my order in, I spent evenings reviewing all the car info and magazine reviews over and over such that it all got burned in my brain – I knew a lot about ’97 Boxsters! Then, out of the blue, I got a call from the dealer; it was Tuesday, April 1st: “Your car’s in.” At first I thought it was an April Fools joke! It wasn’t, now, I need to figure out how I’m going to pay for this thing – I was expecting a few more months, and it was my intention all along to pay cash! I got the money together, provided a bank check and took delivery 24 years ago today, April 3rd. – the car was just under $47K all in, including a Federal “Luxury Tax” they had at the time. To my surprise, PORSCHE logo mats were actually delivered – it turns out Boxster logo ones weren’t available that early on! Interesting tidbit: seven years later to the date, I went on a first date with a young lady who is now my wife! April 3rd has been good to me!

Shortly after taking delivery, I went to a local Porsche shop to have a PCA tech done so I could run it in a HPDE event at Pocono – things were a lot more lenient back then regarding roll bars and such. At Tech, it got a bit more scrutiny than the other cars they checked that day – they actually put it on the lift and a bunch of Porsche folks got their first look and the underside of this all new Sports Car - it was new to everyone - You did not see any on the road for quite a while!

Autoweek magazine used to run a feature called “Autofile”, perhaps they still do. I submitted my write-up on the Boxster, and was actually published in their article – I have a copy of the issue stowed away with all the other Boxster related stuff I’ve collected and set aside.

Fast forward 24 years: Today, I still have my first year, Stuttgart built 986. I read somewhere that the first “sold” 986 was serno 0061. If this is true, than I have the 1997th 986 sold (serno 2057). It is in nearly flawless condition, and almost all original, including things like the wiper blades and windshield washer fluid! I’ve done all the maintenance on it myself, and it’s been extremely reliable. It has seen a handful of track days (I used other cars for HPDEs in the many years I drove and instructed at them) but it has primarily been used commuting on nicer days and backroad rides. It has also had its share of rides from the home center with 10’ 2X6s sticking out, top down, of course. In its 58K miles, it has not been babied from a driving perspective - always sees full throttle and redline! Other than regular maintenance and tune-up parts, only the front brake pads, mass flow sensor, conv. top motor & cables, horns, oil filler tube, battery (2nd replacement), tires (6th set) and an instrument panel bulb are not original. It still has the original bad ignition switch (subject to a recall – which I never had done), ubiquitous illuminated airbag light and its almost original slight RMS leak! The top and plastic window, which I calculated to have been lowered over 2000 times, are still in pretty good shape, a testament to Porsche quality.

Because I’ve been working from home for the last 14 years, and have a few other fun cars (including a 10 year older big brother 928S4), the Boxster has had to share attention with the others and only gets driven once a month or so. It only traveled 652 miles in 2020 and 667 in 2019, but it still fires up right away, drives wonderfully and always puts a smile on my face – they are very special cars, so simple compared to modern cars – no nannies except for ABS and there is actually a mechanical cable that connects the pedal to the throttle! I never covered it in my garage, because I enjoy looking at it!

For those new to the Boxster, congratulations, you are associated with a special car. I hope you enjoyed reading my history as someone who has been around one since before the beginning; hopefully, others will post their own Boxster story, I know I’d be interested in reading them. Here are a few pictures.

By CharlieC
Seeing as how this forum hasn't had anything new in a while, here's a photo taken at the NE PCA region Boxster introduction at a Boston area Porsche dealer. I attended the event with my son. Circled are me and my young (at the time) son.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Do you remember what time of the year it was? I understand all the dealers got a guards red demo.
By linderpat
I think Boxsters are one of the most beautiful models Porsche ever made. The early versions - 986, perfectly captured what they were trying to do - resurrect the old spider 550 into a modern car. They nailed it! I think later iterations have drifted too far away from this original masterpiece, but it is awesome Geza that you still have yours. I had an 03 dark blue over sand beige S. Loved it. You should bring your original owned Boxster to Frenzy this year (yes, instead of the shark:-)) I'd love to see it in person.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
linderpat wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:03 pm I think Boxsters are one of the most beautiful models Porsche ever made. The early versions - 986, perfectly captured what they were trying to do - resurrect the old spider 550 into a modern car. They nailed it! I think later iterations have drifted too far away from this original masterpiece, but it is awesome Geza that you still have yours. I had an 03 dark blue over sand beige S. Loved it. You should bring your original owned Boxster to Frenzy this year (yes, instead of the shark:-)) I'd love to see it in person.
You think so? Maybe I will - we'll see?
linderpat liked this
By Geza-aka-Zombo
fpena944 liked this

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]