8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By worf
Changing this thread's title a bit since we now have an embryonic sub-forum.
Last edited by worf on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Fox_
Because what?
IMG_20200305_180024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
I don't know what's going to happen here.

But, I'll start with a picture. The first time I've gotten radiator clamps to come out almost perfect. It's way, way more work than just tossing them at the plater.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by worf on Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ghosteh liked this
By worf
Fox_ wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 pm Because what?
You beat me to my own thread :twisted: :o :D
By G8RB8
image1q.JPG
Ghosteh liked this
By worf
G8RB8 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 pm...
Nice. That's a lot of red. What headers are those?
By SeanR
Got to work on mine this week and what a hot mess she was.

Since I put the SC on a decade ago I've had small issues that I just figured were ghosts in the machine, well those ghosts turned in to demons in the last couple weeks and got to the point the car just wouldn't run. Knew it was a fueling issue this time so I tossed in a new pump/filter and no change and thought great, I'm actually going to have to work on this. Went around everything, Sharktuner showed all in the green etc so figured it was time to yank the intake and take a look at the ISV and associated hoses. Just as I was getting the tools out to start that process I got to thinking, what if that JDS rebuilt LH that has been to John a couple times is in fact, bad. See, when these ghosts started I'd sent the comp off to john on 2 occasions for testing. Just to make sure. So I toss my other JDS rebuild in to the car w/o PEM's and it starts right up like a good car should. Tossed in the PEMs and put it all back together for a drive. Whollychit this thing runs great, going to have to re-tune. Only thing I can figure out is the injector drivers have failed and that they had been failing for a long time now.
By worf
SeanR wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 am ... I'm actually going to have to work on this...
Tell me about it! My winter plan is transaxle rebuild on my ‘91. No way to do it until salt season though.

I send all of my electronic boxes to Rich. Now.
By JMW928
In!
By linderpat
choices:
IMG_0133.JPG
By Mongo
Im here. There goes the neighborhood now.

By worf
When the last guy, before you got it, put on the cam covers and didn't use a torque wrench:
Last edited by worf on Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Fox_
Fun.

Looks like you need a new 928. I'll sell you one.
By worf
Fox_ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:00 am Looks like you need a new 928. I'll sell you one.
It's not mine. It's a client's GT. I'm busy correcting all the previous work done poorly by previous owner's wrenches.
By Fox_
I'll still sell you a 928. :lol:

Last night, windows on 928 work fine.

This morning, both power windows mysteriously kaput.
By amdavid
Porsche V8's, there's no substitute! 9 2 8 is one Porsche I've yet to own, they're a mystery to me. I absolutely see the appeal though!

There's a scene in Weird Science where a 928 rips out of a parking lot....I watched that scene over and over listening to that exhaust note. Intoxicating.
By worf
amdavid wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:37 am There's a scene in Weird Science where a 928 rips out of a parking lot....
That was on last weekend. Caught a few bits. Watched it dozens of times when it was new and slightly used.

Now, I see that the only redeeming qualities were the 928 and Kelly LeBrock.

(If I was a ‘convertible guy’ I’d add the Mondial to the list of qualities.)

80’s hairstyles. LoL.

I wonder if Bill Paxton and Robert Downey Jr. see it as the vehicle for their breakout roles...
By WyattsRide
I'm a new guy here. I would like to add my liberal political views somewhere if possible. My good friend linderpat told me to come here. I hope this a good safe place for my fragile feelings.

Here's my 1985 928S. I will be converting the gas guzzling fossil fuel engine with something better for the environment, as soon as Biden is in office and sends me my monthly check.

Thanks
Rick
Ghosteh liked this
By SeanR
WyattsRide wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am I'm a new guy here. I would like to add my liberal political views somewhere if possible. My good friend linderpat told me to come here. I hope this a good safe place for my fragile feelings.

Here's my 1985 928S. I will be converting the gas guzzling fossil fuel engine with something better for the environment, as soon as Biden is in office and sends me my monthly check.

Thanks
Rick
LOL, welcome Rick. Glad to see ya here.
By WyattsRide
SeanR wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:19 am
LOL, welcome Rick. Glad to see ya here.
Glad you got my humor Sean. Good to be here
By Erik N
Morning, Gentlemen.
It's 11:30am on a Friday, and I just now put some pants on.
By G8RB8
I haul my camping gear in mine too.
By Erik N
G8RB8 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:30 pm I haul my camping gear in mine too.
1 Tentcot
1 Sleeping bag
1 Cooler
1 Duffelbag
1 Camp chair
1 Gun
1 Quart oil
1 Full tank of gas
By linderpat
WyattsRide wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am I'm a new guy here. I would like to add my liberal political views somewhere if possible. My good friend linderpat told me to come here. I hope this a good safe place for my fragile feelings.

Thanks
Rick
Good lord help us. He really is a lib - I caught him quietly weeping one evening and I asked him what was wrong, he said "Oh nothing, I just watched Steel Magnolias last night and was thinking about it." :lol:
Welcome aboard Rick.
By linderpat
linderpat wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks
Rick
Good lord help us. He really is a lib - I caught him quietly weeping one evening and I asked him what was wrong, he said "Oh nothing, I just watched Steel Magnolias last night and was thinking about it." :lol:
Welcome aboard Rick.

BTW, j/k about Rick political POV
By WyattsRide
linderpat wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:17 am Good lord help us. He really is a lib - I caught him quietly weeping one evening and I asked him what was wrong, he said "Oh nothing, I just watched Steel Magnolias last night and was thinking about it." :lol:
Welcome aboard Rick.
Now I'm weeping because you violated my feelings and exposed my feminism. :lol:

Thanks for inviting me here Ed!
By worf
More this:
0D3C77EB-F862-4A1B-AAFC-8CBF87B950B3.jpeg
or more this:

[bbvideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtSYZi7zd7A[/bbvideo]
Mrmerlin liked this
By SeanR
So, a car shows up from Colorado this weekend that had been at a Porsche shop in the Denver area for the past year. No start condition and we'd been giving the owner and the shop a ton of advice on what to do. They couldn't get it to run and since I was actually back to working in 2020 told him to bring it and i'll jump on it immediately.

CE panel was a mess because that was apparently where they had focused their attention. Got it put back together with new relays, unplugged shit that should not have been plugged in and still no start. Has spark so I knew the CPS was doing it's thing and grabbed my rebuilt JDS LH and plugged that in. Car starts right up and runs great. This was one of the first things I told the shop to do, relays, check for spark, jumper the fuel pump, then LH. From looking at things It's obvious they knew better than I did and ignored me.

Told the owner this morning and he's so happy, happy enough he told me to find other things to do to it and report back.

Love happy customers.
By amdavid
Rick, I'm glad you made even though this is our first exchange. I see you like Wyatt's ride, nice!....gimme da keys Lisa!

Sean, "find other things" means "open check book". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By worf
SeanR wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:07 am From looking at things It's obvious they knew better than I did and ignored me.
Dontcha just love that shit? I’m at the point where when that happens to me - I’ve spent hours explaining, helping etc, multiple times and the shop/person ignores me after consuming my time - that person/shop is dead to me.
Told the owner this morning and he's so happy, happy enough he told me to find other things to do to it and report back.
Yup. It’s the main reason I do this: happy clients who would otherwise have sold their 928s out of frustration.
By The Rover
I'd been maintaining my 86.5 auto with help/technical posts from the guys on Rennlist since 2009.

Prior to that I was taking it to a "high end" independent shop that that loved taking my money to learn about the car as they went along.

Worf, I believe we met one year at SITM. If memory serves, it was at Dave and Jeannie's place where you told me "mechanics will slowly fuck you up the ass with a chainsaw".

I have the invoices to prove it!

Haven't been able to work on the car the past few years due to medical issues, so it gets driven rarely...and not at all since October since I'm not capable of driving at present.

Once I'm better, I plan on finding someone honest who knows these cars well to take care of all the major deferred maintenance...even if I have to ship it out of state.
By worf
TheClairvoyant wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:58 pmWorf, I believe we met one year at SITM. If memory serves, it was at Dave and Jeannie's place where you told me "mechanics will slowly fuck you up the ass with a chainsaw".
LoL. Yeah, that probably was me. There are a handful of folks that don’t have to learn by working on your 928 and will provide the service for which you pay. Two of them have posted to this thread. :)
TheClairvoyant wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:58 pm a "high end" independent shop that that loved taking my money to learn about the car as they went along.
One of the 3 90GTs here right now - above picture with snapped cam cover bolt - has suffered extensively from that disease.
By Polecat702
SeanR wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 am Got to work on mine this week and what a hot mess she was.

Since I put the SC on a decade ago I've had small issues that I just figured were ghosts in the machine, well those ghosts turned in to demons in the last couple weeks and got to the point the car just wouldn't run. Knew it was a fueling issue this time so I tossed in a new pump/filter and no change and thought great, I'm actually going to have to work on this. Went around everything, Sharktuner showed all in the green etc so figured it was time to yank the intake and take a look at the ISV and associated hoses. Just as I was getting the tools out to start that process I got to thinking, what if that JDS rebuilt LH that has been to John a couple times is in fact, bad. See, when these ghosts started I'd sent the comp off to john on 2 occasions for testing. Just to make sure. So I toss my other JDS rebuild in to the car w/o PEM's and it starts right up like a good car should. Tossed in the PEMs and put it all back together for a drive. Whollychit this thing runs great, going to have to re-tune. Only thing I can figure out is the injector drivers have failed and that they had been failing for a long time now.
Sean, my problem was the EZK. Runs like a scalded cat now!!
SeanR liked this
By linderpat
It's neck and neck - the two most popular model forums are the 928 and the 997 forums (based on postings). Having both in the garage, I can understand. They are the two best models Porsche made, excluding the special ones like the 550 Spyder or the CGT.
By worf
linderpat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:43 am They are the two best models Porsche made...
Well, you’re half-right :lol: :mrgreen:
By worf
I kid, I kid.

Just trying to generate traffic here.
By linderpat
I come here really for the OT/P&C from the former renny site. But the reality is, nothing will duplicate the breadth and depth of knowledge on the rennlist tech forums (at least for 928 and 997), and that will remain my daily fix and first go to for questions, answers, etc. It just doesn't make sense to try to recreate that here. Still, I'm glad we have these placeholder forums, if for nothing else, to see who all came over.
Ghosteh liked this
By amdavid
Agreed. Still nice to "play Porsches" here with some eye candy and such. I just won't be posting in the DIY section of SS.
linderpat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:26 am I come here really for the OT/P&C from the former renny site. But the reality is, nothing will duplicate the breadth and depth of knowledge on the rennlist tech forums (at least for 928 and 997), and that will remain my daily fix and first go to for questions, answers, etc. It just doesn't make sense to try to recreate that here. Still, I'm glad we have these placeholder forums, if for nothing else, to see who all came over.
By worf
I for one will do my best to answer questions posed here.

This forum can't survive on OT alone.
By linderpat
OK then Dave I'll play. My current red 85 is my 5th 928. I still have my 78 Minerva blue (Blumaxx). This red one though has a weird situation with the seat belt - the seat belt isn't as long as the seatbelts in all the other 928's I've had (or any other Porsches or other cars for that matter). It is a tight fit. Now I know I have gained some Covid -19 (or 20 or....you get the picture), but this is strange. Did Porsche use different seat belt lengths?
Note - I pulled the rear quarter speaker to examine the end of the seat belt behind the panel - it is fully functioning, not hung up inside. When I pull it out, it comes all the way out.

Any thoughts appreciated (snide comments from Rick NOT appreciated :lol: )
By SeanR
linderpat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:48 pm OK then Dave I'll play. My current red 85 is my 5th 928. I still have my 78 Minerva blue (Blumaxx). This red one though has a weird situation with the seat belt - the seat belt isn't as long as the seatbelts in all the other 928's I've had (or any other Porsches or other cars for that matter). It is a tight fit. Now I know I have gained some Covid -19 (or 20 or....you get the picture), but this is strange. Did Porsche use different seat belt lengths?
Note - I pulled the rear quarter speaker to examine the end of the seat belt behind the panel - it is fully functioning, not hung up inside. When I pull it out, it comes all the way out.

Any thoughts appreciated (snide comments from Rick NOT appreciated :lol: )
Since you didn't rule me out. How much has quarantine binge eating had to do with the way the seat belt fits?
By Erik N
The red car was in a horrible accident and the passenger's belt got stretched? Or, the red car was in a horrible accident and the body shop replaced the driver's belt with one that is too short?
By worf
linderpat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:48 pm OK then Dave I'll play. My current red 85 is my 5th 928...This red one though has a weird situation with the seat belt - the seat belt isn't as long as the seatbelts in all the other 928's I've had (or any other Porsches or other cars for that matter)..
Both front belts are "too short" or just one side? Your use of singular suggests just one belt.
... Did Porsche use different seat belt lengths? ...
Although I've never touched anything older than '82, I don't think the requirements for the front seat belt length changed from '78 to '95. Between the wheel wells it's all the same tub.
Ok. Let's assume that you observations are correct and the mechanism is allowing full travel of the belt.

There are two logical possibilities:
1) the belt was too short as it left the factory
2) the belt was 'shortened' after the factory.

In the first case, is it possible that Hans or Franz grabbed a belt mechanism from a 911? Or a 944? In those days parts where just stacked on shelves everywhere. Or perhaps it was a mis-manufactured part.

In the second case, the only reason for shortening after the fact is damage to the original.
(snide comments from Rick NOT appreciated
Since I wasn't excluded either:
Perhaps yours is a 'light weight' version. But referring to the required driver, not the car? :lol:
Last edited by worf on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By linderpat
SeanR wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:32 pm
Since you didn't rule me out. How much has quarantine binge eating had to do with the way the seat belt fits?
I'll get you back at Frenzy!

Yes it's both belts. And covid 19, or 20 or whatever no doubt doesn't help :o

I'm thinking Dave may be right - Hanz or Franz grabbed a 911 set from the bin.
By worf
linderpat wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:43 am Yes it's both belts.
Both belts too short, says to me, factory error or supplier error.
By Daniel5691
Howdy !

Is it too early to predict? Or..
Will this section called "928 Forum" become a forum or will it probably just stay a single 928 'thread' ?

I am asking because it if this is going to be an actual forum section it would be kinda cool to get it better-organized than the old RL 928 forum.

For instance it might be interesting to organize a new 928 forum from the ground up based on the sections in the Repair Manual...
It would make it so easy to search through topics that way, a way to archive all the knowledge.

just a thought. Well not much of a thought... maybe more like a half-thought...
Getliquid88 liked this
By SeanR
Daniel5691 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:25 pm Howdy !

Will this section called "928 Forum" become a forum or will it probably just stay a single 928 'thread' ?

I am asking because it if this is going to be an actual forum section it would be kinda cool to get it better-organized than the old RL 928 forum.

For instance it might be interesting to organize a new 928 forum from the ground up based on the sections in the Repair Manual...
It would make it so easy to search through topics that way, a way to archive all the knowledge.

Much is in the works in the background, some coming as soon as this weekend.
Getliquid88 liked this
By Daniel5691
SeanR wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:29 pm
Daniel5691 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:25 pm Howdy !

Much is in the works in the background, some coming as soon as this weekend.
Thank you good sir that is very encouraging for those of us who have most of our 928 in cardboard boxes ha ha
By worf
What Sean said --^

IIRC there's an expectation of model-specific sub-forums RSN.

I have removed the URL for my 928 inspection guide from my signature on Rennlist. I would like this place to be it's new home.

Presently there's no way to make it available here in the same manner: PDFs can't be uploaded.

I will ping Fernando about that presently.
By Crumpler
Yes. I crawled out under the concertina wire when they weren't looking.
I was afraid to be left behind.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]