8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By maddog2020
Ever wondered what your abs rings look like? Usually they are black coated with brake dust and other grime. The abs sensor reads the teeth as they spin around past the sensor. Over the years I’ve seen abs issues that some owners have lived with for years. Before going down the expensive rabbit hole of buying new sensors, I’d recommend removing the sensors and getting all of the metal shavings off of them 1st. The abs rings are steel, and when coated with gunk and grime may not be so easy for the sensor to read.

I’m removing my abs rings from the 928 hub to put them on billet 944 hubs so I can have better offset options and pull the wheels inboard. Here are some pics of the hubs and my removal process. I’ve already cleaned the hubs and abs rings up quite a bit to pull them off.

I’ll upload a pic of them after they have soaked a bit.
By maddog2020
Before anyone asks, no you don’t have to remove the rings to clean them... but once you get the hubs out you can get them pretty clean.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:22 pm Before anyone asks, no you don’t have to remove the rings to clean them... but once you get the hubs out you can get them pretty clean.
And once, off the hubs, you can re-plate them if your want to.
maddog2020 liked this
By worf
Most of them look that way when cleaned. Some don’t.
By maddog2020
I’ve never seen a clean set. I’ve seen a few on the other site that used some sandpaper to get the junk off, and that just takes off the finish and makes them rust. Then there are more problems down the road
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:57 pm I’ve never seen a clean set. I’ve seen a few on the other site that used some sandpaper to get the junk off, and that just takes off the finish and makes them rust.
Correct. As long as the original Zinc plating hasn't be compromised a gentle chemical cleaning, or soda blasting, will clean and reveal the plating as you show above. Most of the time the ABS rings are covered in oil/dirt/grease that protects the zinc plating. Most of the time you can just soak the whole wheel hub and clean everything in place.

Once the zinc plating has started to deteriorate then nothing will "bring it back" except stripping and re-plating.

Any abrasive will mechanically remove the zinc plating (speed of removal dependent on many factors.)
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:41 pm I didn’t get to choose color of hub, but it looks sorta Ironman.... too bad no one will see them.
Anodized? Or powder coated?

Why didn't you get to choose?
By maddog2020
Anodized. Off the shelf part. Made in batches. Racers edge makes them. Iscamerica on rennlist did his with used stock 944 hubs but those are known failures, so I went with these 7075 billet replacements instead. Heavier car and wider tires I didn’t want to take any chances with known failures.
worf liked this
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]