By JustBud
Talk to me fellas.....

When I was growing up we had an old Ford with what we called a skip loader (don't know if that is the correct term, it had a bucket on the front so I guess it's considered a front loader). Small but it worked, literally and figuratively.

I'd like to get a tractor that is similar.... I'm thinking new though. John Deere or other?

What say you guys....

Would like to get a front loader and be able to eventually get a small auger attachment and small backhoe for work around the property (like digging fence post holes, I did way to much digging in my younger days, want it easier than digging with a razor back or post hole digger).

Is this overkill? Should I buy overkill so I don't regret later?

By NCporsche
Tractors are like garages and greenhouses. Always buy one size larger. With wives, always get one size smaller.

I have a ‘50 Ford 8N for mowing the pastures and other work too delicate for the F-250 SD to accomplish.

Priced a new(er) JD but I found it more economical to buy the 8N and just hire the guy down the road rather than pay for a garage queen.
SeanR liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
Oh, boy. A tractor thread.

I agree with NC - bigger is better. But... if you need to do something more 'delicate' (what ever that is), bigger is not always better.

You definitely want a bucket. An auger is great and you will want a mower deck. A backhoe is nice for a bunch of things too. Decide what you figure on doing most and buy appropriately. Look for used items for the infrequent work. We have a wazoo rake and auger that fit those roles. Then again, our first two tractors were purchased used.

First was 'Willy'. We needed something to get us through the first couple of years.

Then we got a more serious tractor; 'Roddy'. Bigger, diesel powered 3910.

We bought an LS last summer. We haven't had it long enough to name it. And it was purchased new. Does those 'delicate' jobs.

amdavid liked this
By NCporsche
Delicate, HA. Delicate in the wife is two sizes smaller.

Delicate in tractors v full size pickup is turning radius and length. In my situation is getting amongst the trees; pulling them down, skidding logs, and hauling a wagon full of firewood.
By Scott at Team Harco
NCporsche wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm Delicate, HA. Delicate in the wife is two sizes smaller.

Delicate in tractors v full size pickup is turning radius and length. In my situation is getting amongst the trees; pulling them down, skidding logs, and hauling a wagon full of firewood.
One priority for the latest tractor was the ability to rake the indoor arena. That's kind of a delicate task. It's still stout enough to do many other things, but it's kind of the 'sport tractor' in our lineup.
By JustBud
I don't really have anything that is delicate, so I'll go one larger than I originally thought.

I've heard that 6 foot mower is about as big as you want to go?

Anybody heard anything about these guys?

https://bransontractors.com

A neighbor has one and he says it's been great. They're made by Kukje Machinery, a Korean company.

edit: technically the Branson takes this out of the American Vehicles section...... :hiding:
By NCporsche
Research mowers, Woods for example and brush cutters, Bush Hog for comparison. Make sure you get what the type you need.
By Scott at Team Harco
JustBud wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 am I don't really have anything that is delicate, so I'll go one larger than I originally thought.

A neighbor has one and he says it's been great. They're made by Kukje Machinery, a Korean company.

edit: technically the Branson takes this out of the American Vehicles section...... :hiding:
Our LS was made in Korea too. I think many other tractor brands are made there. Case/IH, for example are similar, just painted red. Anyway, our Ford/New Holland dealer led us to believe this.

You will pay the green premium if you do end up buying a Deere. They are certainly of good quality, but we chose to stay with blue. Kubota has a good reputation, but then you're going with a Japanese brand.

I have found getting parts for our old Ford tractors is no problem. There are plenty of places for parts, and prices are surprisingly (to me, anyway) low.
By JustBud
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 am
JustBud wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 am I don't really have anything that is delicate, so I'll go one larger than I originally thought.

Our LS was made in Korea too. I think many other tractor brands are made there. Case/IH, for example are similar, just painted red. Anyway, our Ford/New Holland dealer led us to believe this.

You will pay the green premium if you do end up buying a Deere. They are certainly of good quality, but we chose to stay with blue. Kubota has a good reputation, but then you're going with a Japanese brand.

I have found getting parts for our old Ford tractors is no problem. There are plenty of places for parts, and prices are surprisingly (to me, anyway) low.
Yeah, I like the idea of having a JD, but like the neighbor said, "JD will cost you dearly (Deerely)?"
By NCporsche
Since we are posting pictures.
16A9109A-0CF9-49FC-AFB7-80394116851A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By JustBud
NCporsche wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:14 am Since we are posting pictures.

16A9109A-0CF9-49FC-AFB7-80394116851A.jpeg
Love it! Our old feed store tractor was blue where Fred is red.... with a front bucket on it.
By ny991
I went with Deere when I needed to buy one. You need to look at the weight of what you’re buying vs. the price. Deere is more expensive, probably a small premium there, but you will have this a long time. You need to drive what you’re buying with the bucket on it to experience the hydraulics and how quick and maneuverable the hydraulics are.

I went with the 3046r for the extra horsepower in a smaller frame. It’s built tough and the hydraulics are excellent. You can put a 60” tiller on this, and a decent backhoe.
By N_Jay
NCporsche wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm Delicate, HA. Delicate in the wife is two sizes smaller.

Any chance you want to demonstrate those skills? I have a lot I need cleared as a playground.
By JustBud
Narrowed down to a Deere 5075e or a Kubota M7060.

I'll keep you all updated....with pics...

Maybe video so you can laugh at me trying to get stuff down around here. :lol2:
By amdavid
I almost enjoy looking at tractors as much as Porsches....and yes I do like the Porsche tractors...and airplane.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.
By NCporsche
N_Jay wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 am

Any chance you want to demonstrate those skills? I have a lot I need cleared as a playground.
When those tasks get to the top of the list, I’ll be happy to include a video. I could even load the tractor and come down there for a day once I get through a month of warm weather.

I do not grade nor do I pull stumps.
By N_Jay
NCporsche wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:57 am
I do not grade nor do I pull stumps.
Talk about useless! ;)
By yellowducman

My 5425 and 51 B. The B was my grandfathers. He bought it new.

I've got the power reverser on my 5425. I wouldn't want one without it.
By Flat6Noise
It all depends on intended use and terrain. When I had my property (18 acres), I had a skid steer that was one size down from the largest that they (Bobcat) made at the time. The attachments available are pretty wide ranging. It was a great tool for what I mostly used it for. But on rare occasions when I really needed to do a lot of digging, I’d just rent a backhoe and get it done quickly. But any tractor is better than no tractor. Plus, as an added bonus, if my now ex-wife was acting like a bitch, I’d grab a few beers and get on the tractor. There was always something that needed to get done. Plus, if they persist in following you out and yapping at you, you won’t have to hear them over the sound of the machine. Yes sir, great tool!
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]