General discussions related to cars and driving
By David993S
After 13 years of ownership, I sold the Alfa through the Alfa Bulletin Board. It's going back to Calif. from whence it came.
When I bought it, I wanted something relatively modern but too common. That's why I decided on the Alfa.
Now I might start looking for another 2-seat convertible sports car to replace it. Keep in mind since I drive with hand controls I have to have something with two pedals. Z4? Miata? Boxster?
What do you guys think?
By linderpat
In that category, Boxster would be my only choice. Plus, I'd get an early one. Great value right now, but also the purest form of the car. You can clearly see the 550 Spyder lineage in it.
By XR4Tim
I think the Alfa would be hard to top. I would consider a Toyota MR2 Turbo. Not a true convertible, but it can be had with t-tops and an automatic, and the 3SGTE is a great engine.
By David993S
No Fiat, no MR2. Perhaps Boxster, but I have two Porsches (and a Ferrari). Not sure I want a 3rd Porsche...but maybe.
BMW-wise I like the looks of the Z4, but I don't know much about them yet. If anyone here has first-hand experience please let me know. I have a friend with a Jag XKR and it's a really nice ride. His is a Coupe but I would look at the convertible version. Another Alfa is also a consideration - the 4C Spyder is neat.
By XR4Tim
I've only driven the 4C Spider once, but I would highly recommend it. I found it more fun than the 718 Boxster, but less practical for regular use (no storage, noisy, etc.).
By CharlieC
David993S wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 am No Fiat, no MR2. Perhaps Boxster, but I have two Porsches (and a Ferrari). Not sure I want a 3rd Porsche...but maybe.
BMW-wise I like the looks of the Z4, but I don't know much about them yet. If anyone here has first-hand experience please let me know. I have a friend with a Jag XKR and it's a really nice ride. His is a Coupe but I would look at the convertible version. Another Alfa is also a consideration - the 4C Spyder is neat.
I had a 99 M Roadster based on the Z3. There aren’t that many of them but definitely worth a look.
By JustBud
David993S wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 am ........ Another Alfa is also a consideration - the 4C Spyder is neat.
That was my first thought, so I guess I'll second yours! :beerchug:
By David993S
I have found a nice (I think) 2nd gen Z4 "M" with some suspension and exhaust mods that has caught my interest. I never realized the "M" cars came with an automatic trans. We're going to go look at it in the next day or so.
As much as I'd like a 4C, upon some discussion with a few owners and looking closely at photos I think I would have real difficulty getting in and definitely getting out. The 2nd gen Z4 with the retractable hardtop might be the best option.
The last gen Jag XKR is still a possibility but they are bigger than I'd prefer.
By Erik N
Mid 90's MBZ 500SL. Heavy and fast.
David993S liked this
By David993S
Erik N wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:45 pm Mid 90's MBZ 500SL. Heavy and fast.
I almost forgot about those. That's a possibility.
I went to look at and drive the Z4 this morning (wife drove it, actually - I can drive them until they have hand controls). What a piece of junk. Not because it was a Z4, I've been in Z4's before and they're good cars. Just this particular one. Suspension lowered sooo low and stiff it has made the car have lots of rattles and loose bits. And........it's wasn't a "M". Just badged that way. I've since learned all "M's" are manuals. So this was a car that someone had buggered up, rode hard and put away wet. But I guess you don't know for sure until you go see.
The search continues.
By Erik N
David993S wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:48 pm
Erik N wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:45 pm Mid 90's MBZ 500SL. Heavy and fast.
I almost forgot about those. That's a possibility.
I went to look at and drive the Z4 this morning (wife drove it, actually - I can drive them until they have hand controls). What a piece of junk. Not because it was a Z4, I've been in Z4's before and they're good cars. Just this particular one. Suspension lowered sooo low and stiff it has made the car have lots of rattles and loose bits. And........it's wasn't a "M". Just badged that way. I've since learned all "M's" are manuals. So this was a car that someone had buggered up, rode hard and put away wet. But I guess you don't know for sure until you go see.
The search continues.
Yeah, I drove a Z3 M Coupe years back. Cheap plastics, almost like a 80's American car.

Always wanted a SL500. I had a '96 S500 coupe, great car. Sold it in TX when I moved N and needed 4x4.
Get a '95 or later, they got the 5speed auto, and had the biodegradable main harness issue fixed by then.
By David993S
^^ Thanks Erik. Found an SL550 we're going to look at tomorrow. Silver w/dark red interior. looks brand new in photos. About 50k miles.........just getting broken in.
By Erik N
David993S wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:25 am Silver w/dark red interior. looks brand new in photos.
Sounds juicy!
By kirkandorules
SL500/600 are some of the best looking cars of the 90s IMO. Cocaine white is the correct color on those, but silver is pretty good too.
By David993S
Disappointing update:

We went to look at the silver/red SL550 on Tues. Nice car. 2 owners, low miles, documented service from Mercedes, and beautiful. We didn't buy that day, but said we'd come back Thursday to look at it a little more closely (lots of stuff to check out on these cars). Very rainy on Thurs so I called the sales guy and said we'd come this morning. We get to the dealer only to see a "sold" sign on the windshield when we arrive. I get the story some guy is coming tomorrow to pick it up. I would have appreciated a call to say it's sold. It would have saved me 3 hrs of driving and half a tank of gas.

The search continues.
By maddog2020
I had a 2000 SL500 and had always wanted one. mine was white with grey interior and I updated with later 230amg wheels and euro headlamps. went to sell it in 2018 and couldn't sell it for a decent price. ended up trading it in.. it had 54k miles on it... It was in really nice condition... I got 5k trade in.

If you can find the SL600 drive it and you won't regret it. the SL500 is a little sleepy and with the old school trans it just felt slow even though it was relatively quick.

The SL600 is best of old school hand built, and good balance of power and handling.
By David993S
Here's the Alfa replacement..........

Not a great pic and very dirty after wife driving it home in the rain from the dealer. It's a 2011 SL550, but only two previous owners and only 21,000 miles. Looks, runs, and drives like new. A bit of a step up from the Alfa. I think I'm going to like it.
The stable was more balanced with two Germans and two Italians. Now it's 3 to 1 in favor of the Germans (and 1 Brit and 1 American to keep things calm).
amdavid liked this
By Redgt
You and your wife will love it, picked up a 2003 SL 500 back in 2012 for wife for summers. Was her dream car. Great cruising car. Make sure you have the ABC suspension fluid changed regularly, very complex suspension , big expense if it goes south..
David993S liked this
By David993S
rlm328 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:39 pm Jag F Type, fairly unique.
I forgot all about the F-type. They are neat cars. But I'm really happy with the SL550. I think the SL is a little more of a comfortable GT machine whereas the F-Type, IMHO, is more of a real sports car. With the 993, 996 track car, and the 360 I didn't really feel like I wanted another true sports car. I just wanted another nice two-seat convertible, thus the SL. Hell, I'm an old fart - a Mercedes suits my age. :wink:
Ineos Grenadier

Anyone have any experience with the Ineos Grenad[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]