General discussions related to cars and driving
By FlatSix
I have a more specific question, but since I didn't see a general "detailing" topic maybe this can serve the purpose.

Anyone used the "Graphene Nano" coatings? Thoughts?

I'm wondering if that makes more sense on a DD that gets exposed to a lot of weather than spending time and money applying carnauba. However they look a bit more tricky than wax.
By fpena944
FlatSix wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 pm I have a more specific question, but since I didn't see a general "detailing" topic maybe this can serve the purpose.

Anyone used the "Graphene Nano" coatings? Thoughts?

I'm wondering if that makes more sense on a DD that gets exposed to a lot of weather than spending time and money applying carnauba. However they look a bit more tricky than wax.
My detailer used something advanced and required specialized skill to install. It was on my 996 and it looked terrific for quite some time.

It has since worn off but I do keep my car garaged almost all the time and will probably take it back to him when I'm ready for that kind of detail.

Are you looking to do it yourself or hire it out?
By points
Just for the hell of it I bought some stuff called "Polish Angel"...I mean to tell you this stuff makes your car shine incredibly well. Had used Kenotec for years but cant find it anymore, so tried this and its better. pricey but worth it.
By lupo.sk
Does it work with gas station car wash? :burnout:
By FlatSix
lupo.sk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:58 pm Does it work with gas station car wash? :burnout:
Sacrilege!

El Jefe, this is what I was thinking about trying. I like 303 products and though I'd give this a whirl on the Mrs. daily driver.
By FlatSix
points wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:52 pm Just for the hell of it I bought some stuff called "Polish Angel"...I mean to tell you this stuff makes your car shine incredibly well. Had used Kenotec for years but cant find it anymore, so tried this and its better. pricey but worth it.
I'm sorry, but when I read "Polish Angel" this is what sprang to mind.

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
FlatSix wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:14 pm
lupo.sk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:58 pm Does it work with gas station car wash? :burnout:
Sacrilege!

El Jefe, this is what I was thinking about trying. I like 303 products and though I'd give this a whirl on the Mrs. daily driver.
I can reach out to my detailer buddy and see if he has any experience with this. If it really is "spray and shine" then wow, how easy!
FlatSix liked this
By fpena944
FlatSix wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:14 pm
Sacrilege!

Got a response back from my detailer buddy. Here is what he said:

"Graphene is the newest buzzword, but the amount of graphene in these products is tiny. Not to say they are bad, but the longevity of any spray will not compare to a true ceramic or graphene coating. That being said, if you don’t mind constant re-application a handful of times a year, I’m sure this product will be fine. 303 has always made solid products."

Hope that helps!
David993S, amdavid liked this
By FlatSix
Thanks! Very helpful. I never expected that this was the equivalent of a pro-applied ceramic (which is beautiful and probably what you got). But maybe it's more durable than my expensive carnauba on the wife's beater Benz and not too hard to work with.

For ten bucks, I'll give it a try and report back.

For those of us who like to detail their own cars (Lupo you are excluded), please post tips/tricks/good products here.

I started detailing with my parents' cars at 15, had a decent little business with a high school buddy doing their friends' cars, and still like to do it.
By lupo.sk
Snif, why am I excluded?
I really like when my car is detailed ... by someone else! :beerchug:
By points
When I go carnauba I use Malms Extreme Wax...Polish Angel from time to time when I just wash. Griots foam cannon with their shampoo is very good.

Most important thing I do is use RO water on the wash and rinse...no water spots anywhere. I Use a leaf blower at the end to get water out of wheels and around windshield.

I pay my guy to do inside...Im too old and creaky to get into all those tight places.
By FlatSix
lupo.sk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:03 pm Snif, why am I excluded?
I really like when my car is detailed ... by someone else! :beerchug:
You answered your own question!

Do you have someone else clean your weapons? :nono:
By ny991
points wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 pm When I go carnauba I use Malms Extreme Wax...Polish Angel from time to time when I just wash. Griots foam cannon with their shampoo is very good.

Most important thing I do is use RO water on the wash and rinse...no water spots anywhere. I Use a leaf blower at the end to get water out of wheels and around windshield.

I pay my guy to do inside...Im too old and creaky to get into all those tight places.
I’ve been using the Griots Carnuba. However, I have experienced that using the buffer to polish the wax makes it last a lot longer. I don’t worry too much about the water quality because I dry it as soon as I’m done washing.

I usually do two coats of carnuba, waiting 12 hours between coats as they suggest.

Man, this is sounding like a 992 forum and I’m guilty too! Lol!

I plead guilty to being a little anal! :byewave:
FlatSix liked this
By FlatSix
No, if it were a 992 forum we'd be talking about how our detailer Raoul, who is exceptional, had been recommended by several of the proprietary members at the club. This is a you-own-it, DIY issue.
By lupo.sk
FlatSix wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:02 pm You answered your own question!

If I trusted anyone with them, sure :)
By FlatSix
lupo.sk wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:03 am
FlatSix wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:02 pm You answered your own question!

If I trusted anyone with them, sure :)
That's how I feel about most of my cars. :beerchug:
By Redgt
Spring ritual, car up, wheels off, clay bar, paint correction where needed and....Griots spray wax! I can get into all the tight spaces in wheel wells, etc with it. Car is always garaged, so usual quick detail spray and wax and go.. car has original single stage paint, so paint correction works wonders on finish. Yes , I don’t bend and twist as I used to, either, so interior can be a pain to detail! ( little ocd also.) I use mostly griots products.
Alansglide, David993S, FlatSix and 1 others liked this
By linderpat
Bob, your car is exceptional. I'm really loving my guards red now too. May I ask what kind of paint correction are you doing? How does that work? I'd like to get mine looking better.
By David993S
I've been considering the 303 Graphene product too. Looking forward to some feedback. Usually every Spring I do a swirl remover product then a wax. Since my cars are always garage kept and (unfortunately) not used frequently, a wash, dry and use a spray detailer as needed to keep them looking good for the driving season. If the Graphene product improves the appearance without much work and expense, I'll give it a try.

As a side note: I started using 303 Aerospace Protectant about 30 years ago when a boat-owner friend recommended it. I guess 303 finally woke up and realized there was a huge automotive market they were missing.
By fpena944
Redgt wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:32 pm Spring ritual, car up, wheels off, clay bar, paint correction where needed and....Griots spray wax! I can get into all the tight spaces in wheel wells, etc with it. Car is always garaged, so usual quick detail spray and wax and go.. car has original single stage paint, so paint correction works wonders on finish. Yes , I don’t bend and twist as I used to, either, so interior can be a pain to detail! ( little ocd also.) I use mostly griots products.
Wow I only wish my car could look that clean! :bowdown:
By Redgt
Linderpat quote

“Bob, your car is exceptional. I'm really loving my guards red now too. May I ask what kind of paint correction are you doing? How does that work? I'd like to get mine looking better.”

Ed, sent you a pm.

Bob
By linderpat
Got it, thanks Bob!
By FlatSix
So, for a first effort, I used the 303 Graphene on the Mrs's daily driver E class (silver). Stuff is extremely easy to apply, but aggravating to buff to a consistent shine. Easier than wax on, a lot harder than wax off. Now, I didn't clay the paint before trying it this time, so maybe that had something to do with it. It's supposed to rain today so we'll see how it beads.
By amdavid
FlatSix wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:31 pm So, for a first effort, I used the 303 Graphene on the Mrs's daily driver E class (silver). Stuff is extremely easy to apply, but aggravating to buff to a consistent shine. Easier than wax on, a lot harder than wax off. Now, I didn't clay the paint before trying it this time, so maybe that had something to do with it. It's supposed to rain today so we'll see how it beads.
Don't like hard to remove products. What were the working conditions/temp...?..could that have had an effect on removal?

P21S is amazingly easy to remove and doesn't bite if you hit black trim. Nothing fancy, good ole carnauba wax that needs application twice a year.

I want to know what the detailers use for cleaning fender well covers, especially the newer fuzzy one's like on our 2011 Cayenne.
By FlatSix
Conditions were nice day, mid sixties temp, nothing unusual.

I will try again, but clay the car first, use some different microfiber removal cloths, and go in smaller sections (directions said let dry to a haze; maybe I let it go too long). The stuff is probably still fine for a 15 year old daily driver MBZ that I don't want to use my expensive stuff on.

Love P21S. That's what the 993 gets. Or Zymol.
amdavid liked this
By FlatSix
So, washed the car again today and I am impressed with how well the 303 Graphene Spray product beads. Will see how long it holds up. If I reapply I will take some more time to prepare the paint, work in smaller sections, and see if that fixes my "difficult to remove" experience.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]