8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Landseer
My original isnt salvageable.

Tried Passat fan --- no way the one I got can work, even after 2 hours of reshaping and refitting. This one was far too large in diameter to accept the 928 OEM fan cage.

Any options? Or is it OEM only? Anybody done a replacement lately?

This Passat fan attemp turned into a nightmare.
By Majestic Moose
I know Roger has an aftermarket available. I will need one too. Mine works well but it sometimes squeals.
G8RB8 liked this
By Landseer
Thanks Alex.
Maybe I can ask him in frenzy parking lot tonight.
There has to be a better solution.
This Passat one came from from there.

I've destroyed it and the top half of the housing trying to modify. Was trying to have defrosters ready before driving the car.

Lol. If I come out tonight. 'll bring the bucket of parts and folks can show me what I sould have done.

Or learn of a new solution.
By Polecat702
Get the replacement from Roger, it's a strait forward installation, plug and play. Better than the original. Took me and Jeff Spahn about 45 minutes to R&R the motor.
By hessank
by Polecat702 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 pm
Get the replacement from Roger, it's a strait forward installation, plug and play. Better than the original. Took me and Jeff Spahn about 45 minutes to R&R the motor.

I have it installed (about 5 years now). Yes, it pushes a lot of air but it is NOT plug and play.
This motor spins at a higher speed and requires more amperage than the OE wires can accommodate.
So, (if my memory is still 50% intact) I believe Roger teamed up with Greg to produce a beefier wiring package.
Since that relationship went sour and Roger returned Greg's stock, blah, blah blah... check with Roger on this.

For the record, with my AC on and fan on high it trips the breaker. Two years ago I installed a resettable breaker (same amperage) that would cool down in 10 mins and reset. No more issues.
By Polecat702
It is plug and play now. Roger will confirm. I guess they made some changes in the past five years, mine was replaced last year, plug in and go.
milrad liked this
By hessank
That's great. Thanks for the update.
I checked mine yesterday and it came with an additional relay.
So I had to update my CEP notes about that relay and its location under the cowl
By Polecat702
hessank wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:54 pm That's great. Thanks for the update.
I checked mine yesterday and it came with an additional relay.
So I had to update my CEP notes about that relay and its location under the cowl
I thought the same thing Fred, based on the RL thread regarding the replacement motor that Roger offered in the past. He said it was no longer needed, and the R&R was quick and simple. New motor moves a lot more air, and very quiet.
By Tony
Got Rog's motor. Only minor issue is to make sure the installation depth of the fan is correct...you will know when you turn it on. It will rub. Dont put the hood etc back on until you have tested it all.

Nice upgrade.
maddog2020 liked this
By ROG100
I have sold many of the VW fans, and most have installed them with some clever Dremel work. Price is reasonable at circa $75.
Landseer - I do not know what went wrong with your install. I have done two on my early cars and part from the grinding with the Dremel it was straightforward. You did remove the VW squirrel cage and just used the motor?

My fan motor is Bosch and certainly pushes more air that the original. On cars from 86 to 95 the top of the blower was modified with two "ears" to take the extended brushes of the later motors. So on cars with the later blower top it is truly plug and play. To use it on earlier cars you have to get the Dremel out. Initially peeps said it was pulling too much amps and that is why GB came up with the extra harness to take power directly from the jump post. This was found to be not needed after all and at an extra $100 I dropped it.
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]