8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By AirtekHVAC
Is it possible to copy an entire thread from RL and post it here? I would love to get the threads on my (3) cars over...might make some good reading for some noobies.

The only way I can think is start a new thread with links to RL, but that seems counter productive.
By fpena944
AirtekHVAC wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm Is it possible to copy an entire thread from RL and post it here? I would love to get the threads on my (3) cars over...might make some good reading for some noobies.

The only way I can think is start a new thread with links to RL, but that seems counter productive.
Well there are ways but if they get wind of it they might unleash the lawyers for content/copyright violation. I'd have to study their TOS and see but I'm sure since they're owned by a big corporation that they're protecting their content.

Now if you're copying and then modifying/updating the content to post here, then technically it is new content.
By worf
AirtekHVAC wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm The only way I can think is start a new thread with links to RL, but that seems counter productive.
It isn't so much counter productive as it is zero sum. You wouldn't have copied anything. If the RL mods decide to edit your posts on RL then they are, in effect, edited here as well. And you're just driving traffic to RL instead of making it sticky here.

With respect to the legal issues of copy and paste (and variants there of) IANAL, but I've paid them tons, and tons, and tons over the years and like to think some of it rubbed off. But, El Jefe's opinion is what counts. It's his circus. We're just the monkeys.
By worf
I write the above and realize that my inspection guide (see link in signature) might just be a test case.

Of course, when I hosted it on Dunkle's RL's member webs, I didn't read the TOS. Its cover reserves copyright except for personal use. So, while I may not have violated Dunkle's TOS in 2009, it would be in violation of IB's RL's TOS now. Technically. Since it is copyrighted material.

Now that I've "removed" it from RL, RL might claim that I've destroyed some small portion of their IP.
However, in violation of their TOS, I never assigned them copyright. So, is it their IP?
And, it's not actually removed from RL. I just removed the URL from my signature. They are free to put the URL in a footer or header on every 928 forum page.

That would be cool. Then I could send them a nasty short letter.

I can't recall reading El Jefe's TOS. So, maybe I'm in violation here too.

Fun fun...
By Cuda911
I can't remember how to do it, but there is a way to download an entire RL thread as a document. At least that's what someone told me. I can ask him how if you want.
By fpena944
Just an FYI that I'm still using the default version of the TOS that came with the forum. I have not crossed that bridge yet but when I do it will include language to help protect the original poster and Open Road alike.

If you do have a lot to post, let me know and we'll set up an ideal format for it.
By AirtekHVAC
Wow, all great info. Sure don’t want to open a can of worms, just wanted to make sure the threads were available. I like the idea of stripping it down to just my posts, but seems like a lot of extra work and time lost that would be better served wrenching on the cars!

Maybe put the thread link and do a continuation? I dunno...
By Crumpler
That’s a good idea Ron.
But I kinda liked the idea of stirring the pot too.
You should post over there asking how to transfer all your info here! That would be fun to watch.

I don’t know if I have relevant threads over there that would help anyone, truth be told. Most of them were me showing people how to not do stuff, dumpster fires, lol.
By Crumpler
Ha!

Erik walks among us.

You gotta admit you miss us a little ;)
By ladybug83
As someone who likes following your projects, I’d hate for you to have to move everything, sounds like a chore. A link with continued progress would be great though
By maddog2020
I would have loved the ability to export my technical info and post it elsewhere, it was far easier to delete it and let it dissipate into the ether. I just quit posting anything of value there. (sorry Erik) That place is dead to me. I use it for archive purposes only to find something that I couldn't remember all the details about but remembered there was a thread about it.

Erik doesn't walk among us. He lurks like a ghost in the machine. :bowdown:

Use the OE bolt?

Sunroof t-shooting

yeas back "Dan the pod guy" had an exten[…]

The 928 Photo Thread

pictured is the plate that the choke 99961914100 i[…]

the link rod between the motor and the cooling fla[…]