8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Crumpler
It’s predictable with this car. Any major projects and she is a PITA to get running again, WTF.
This round includes top end work so injectors and rails were off. Ran well two weeks ago “when parked”, infact, I drove the f’er home from the track.
Cranks. But no start.
So far:
Fully charged battery. 12.47 v at CE
FP fuse good.
All relevant relays switched out for good.
All top end connections checked.
Battery connections and grounds are solid.
Jumped FP relay, FP runs. 66 psi on rail, holds at 52 after.
Spark tested positive both banks with indicator light.
Pulled LH connection, cleaned and sprayed with Deoxit.
I was going to put noid lights on next to check injector pulse.
Last time I did this I had a LH loaner from Roger. Switching them did nothing. With mine back on it started randomly again at WOT. That was roughly three months ago the last time it was up on jacks for an extended period. In that go round I had replaced MAF as well.
Thoughts please ;)
By Crumpler
SeanR wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 pm If you have spark, next step is the noid light. not exactly fun to get to on your car either.

Is the fuel pump running while cranking?
Thanks for following Sean, yeah, I just confirmed that FP is running while cranking. Had my wife crank, with me listening to pump, she really loves this shit ;)
By SeanR
Yea, it's great to have a 2nd hand around. When I had the shop I was leasing from a buddy, he didn't work so he spent all day every day in the shop helping. Was free help. Had I needed to pay someone to do that it would have been $40.00 an hour for that. Now I have to ask the wife or kid to assist on simple things like "push the horn button" for me.
Crumpler wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:08 pm
SeanR wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 pm If you have spark, next step is the noid light. not exactly fun to get to on your car either.

Is the fuel pump running while cranking?
Thanks for following Sean, yeah, I just confirmed that FP is running while cranking. Had my wife crank, with me listening to pump, she really loves this shit ;)
By worf
y, injector pulse test next.

Did you disturb any ground leads? Like the ones at the back of the block?

How about throttle linkage stuff? Idle switch closed when cranking?

Battery cables tight?

What are the N silliest ways that would cause a no-start? Check all of those first.
By Crumpler
Interesting, noid light on number 8 cylinder last night shows no injector pulse.
Going to verify on other cylinders today.
By worf
Relay, Relay, Fuse...

LH, FP...
By Crumpler
I thought I was on to something today, found that the injector #8 wiring was exposed and likely shorted, potentially keeping injectors from batch firing.

After replacing the connector and splicing back into the harness, no luck. Still no injector pulse on the noid.
I can’t see any other injector connections that look as bad as the one pictured but I guess I can’t rule out there is other harness issues.
So all relays, fuse, connections, easy stuff seems to be over with.
So what’s my problem list for no injector pulse and what would you guys do next?
By hessank
Make sure to buy the injector plugs with the easy to use clips and not those friggin wires.
By worf
Shifted wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:14 am ... if he's sure that the others aren't shorted out (which can be confirmed with a multimeter),..
———^
By Crumpler
Man, I appreciate it you guys. It really helps me to have some emotional back up.
I have put an order in with Roger for the rest of the connector kits ( yes, the new ones are so much better then that old set up with the fiddly wire clamp).
And hopefully an LH loaner if he has one.
I plan on trying to detect if short/break in harness, but sounds like I can narrow this down to either harness failure or LH failure right? I guess that counts as progress.
By milrad
I don’t know if any loaner parts from my 89 will help, but you are welcome to any of them.

And you can hold the engine stand while I get the last 90 degrees on the cylinder head bolts before you leave lol 😄
By Landseer
Sometimes 85/6 flood out dead. Happened to mine a half dozen times, 2 different cars, usually after a short run, like repositioning on a driveway.

Might be worth a couple very long crankings to try to clear.

Foot to floor during attempt. I seem to remember that stopping fuel. Might be wrong.

Anyhow, if it catches, prepare to lay down as much white smoke as stearman biplane.
By Crumpler
milrad wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:57 pm I don’t know if any loaner parts from my 89 will help, but you are welcome to any of them.

And you can hold the engine stand while I get the last 90 degrees on the cylinder head bolts before you leave lol 😄
Hey Jason, I can get out there if you need a hand, just text me.
I’m still giving you the award for deepest dive into 928’ness in shortest amount of time ;)
Landseer wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 am Sometimes 85/6 flood out dead. Happened to mine a half dozen times, 2 different cars, usually after a short run, like repositioning on a driveway.

Might be worth a couple very long crankings to try to clear.

Foot to floor during attempt. I seem to remember that stopping fuel. Might be wrong.

Anyhow, if it catches, prepare to lay down as much white smoke as stearman biplane.
That’s exactly what I thought would happen, do I wasn’t that worked up initially!
I expect that chicanery with the S3, I know they do it but don’t know why (they flood)? You are the S3 king Mr. Toft.
I’ll try it again.
By Crumpler
Number one injector failed continuity, complete break.
It was actually one of the better condition connection boots. Pretty rough. Obviously I’m replacing them all.
By worf
Test not the patience of LH wiring harnesses for they are subtle and quick to anger.
By Crumpler
worf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:56 pm Test not the patience of LH wiring harnesses for they are subtle and quick to anger.
We need a 928 sayings thread for this forum now.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]