8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By worf
The more I learn, the less I know. That said and assuming I qualify, I used to have my 20+ page doc linked in my sig on tOS. Was intending to re-host here. But mechanism is different. Haven’t yet spent time to figure out. Now’s a good a time as any.
By SeanR
I could type something out but most of it would just be my opinion on certain items. The owners manual has a bunch of information for general stuff but the more in-depth stuff is going to be determined more on condition of the car, miles on the car, previous maint on the car, how the car is stored etc. It's so broad it would be hard to put down in any single post. Besides, we'd have to add to it, edit it, remember to edit it.

Worfs check list is a good reference, hope he gets it posted up and we can use it as a baseline and then have a discussion and share opinions.
By worf
SeanR wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:30 pm I could type something out but most of it would just be my opinion on certain items. The owners manual has a bunch of information for general stuff but the more in-depth stuff is going to be determined more on condition of the car, miles on the car, previous maint on the car, how the car is stored etc.
This --^ x 928.
It's so broad it would be hard to put down in any single post. Besides, we'd have to add to it, edit it, remember to edit it.
And thus the problem with the "Article" concept on this board: it becomes a WORM drive. Many reasons why that's not a good idea for inspection/repair/maintenance/FAQ documentation.
Worfs check list is a good reference, hope he gets it posted up and we can use it as a baseline and then have a discussion and share opinions.
Lemme see where we're at in terms of new features here...
By worf
(Note: I see this post as a 'test' and a means of starting a dialogue on what we want to accomplish and how we might organize whatever it is we set out to do.)

Here's my inspection guide from the last decade. And a doc which is just the tables for when you don't need the directions and commentary. (I really wish this forum software had a native PDF viewer so that one could flip through PDF pages naturally without having to d/l it. It's sorta annoying that it doesn't. Plenty of modern suites do (like Atlassian Confluence for example.) )

It is specifically for '87-'95. But, the non-electrical-specific stuff is still applicable.

The genesis of this 'work' is at the time 928s were being dragged to me by new owners with the directive of 'go through it a tell me what it needs.' After a few of those, consistency required that I have a check list of things. A couple of months before Frenzy #13, I was asked if I'd do the Tech Session. I figure writing up my tables and going through an inspection would be a good tech session. IIRC, during the tech session we found a bad tie-rod on the subject 928.

Last, realize that the context of this was attempting to absorb a gestalt for a 928 I'd never seen before and for which records were scant or non-existent. So, it's not specifically a guide for an owner for maintenance. But, it can serve as part of that.

Next I will see if I can link to the PDF in my signature.

In terms of organization, my first thought is a series of sticky threads each with some sort of bounded context. We might have one that covers inspection and routine maintenance. One that covers timing belt. One for cam covers/intake etc.

Or something else. See first paragraph above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
Shifted wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:41 am Do you also have a table for maintenance intervals? I know that there are recommended maintenance intervals in the WSM and owners manual, but they're not consolidated and don't include all of the items that a seasoned 928 mechanic might check for.
This gets into 'philosophy of service.' At 30-40 years old what constitutes maintenance as opposed to restoration?

As Sean mentioned above, at this age, it's the conditions under which the 928 aged that determine some of these things.

What are the goals of a 'service program?' Keeping it on the road? Or step-wise getting it to 'as new?'

As far as the mundane stuff is concerned. I could scan the factory maintenance checklist?
By SeanR
As said above, you can't really give a time table for most of the things. Example, wheel bearings (rear) I've had cars with 60k on them have them go out and I've had cars with 200k+ that are still going strong. Same with torque tube bearings, torque converter bearings and even water pumps.

Basics are easy, the more in-depth stuff, it's going to on a car by car basis. I like the though process, but it just doesn't work that way in real life. A proper inspection is what it takes and I have my own form for that, based loosely on stuff others have put together and added my own things.
By fpena944
Hey everyone, I've been working on some enhancements to our storage repository.

The purpose of this is to create a library with archives of everything worth saving over the long term.

So you'll now see that at the top of the forum you have a link to "DIY Articles and Resources".

This link takes you to https://openroad.site/pages/articles-porsche-928/
image.png
Now you'll notice that I have one placeholder article there but it's not original so really just there to illustrate how things would look.

So would you all mind if I placed some of these attached PDFs out there? Also do you all have anything else you'd like to upload? If so please submit to this link: https://openroad.site/pages/article-submissions/

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:16 pmSo would you all mind if I placed some of these attached PDFs out there? Also do you all have anything else you'd like to upload? If so please submit to this link: https://openroad.site/pages/article-submissions/
I don’t like the fact the the “article section” is a WORM drive. Once submitted, authors have no control over their work be it formatting or content.

If the notion to edit/revise/correct strikes me, I’d like to be able to do it while the iron is hot without going through a series of hoops.

In addition, what’s the ‘draw’ of the article section over a sticky discussion thread in which folks participate?
By fpena944
worf wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:03 pm
fpena944 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:16 pmSo would you all mind if I placed some of these attached PDFs out there? Also do you all have anything else you'd like to upload? If so please submit to this link: https://openroad.site/pages/article-submissions/
I don’t like the fact the the “article section” is a WORM drive. Once submitted, authors have no control over their work be it formatting or content.

If the notion to edit/revise/correct strikes me, I’d like to be able to do it while the iron is hot without going through a series of hoops.

In addition, what’s the ‘draw’ of the article section over a sticky discussion thread in which folks participate?
I can actually grant access to users allowing them to edit content that they submitted. So if this is a concern then that is certainly something that can be provided. I just assumed most people wouldn't want to be responsible for formatting and some of the complexities associated with creating website content. But yes it can be done!

The draw to the article section is that it's a more permanent archive that can be tagged, categorized, and searched with a bit more ease than when it sits on a forum.

The problem with sticky content is that you can only sticky so many topics. Once you have several of them they start to get ignored or bog down the forum conversation since you have to scroll past them to get to the content. Within the articles section I can create separate pages for each type of category, I can group different articles on the fly based on different attributes and we just have a lot more flexibility on what we can do with the content based on the sophistication of the platform.

A forum is the best platform for ongoing conversation but if we want to archive something then I believe an article repository is better suited for that purpose.

Not forcing use of one or the other and content can be stored in both simultaneously. Just trying to take advantage of the core competencies of each platform we have at our disposal.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hearing things like this make me really glad I wen[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

no it doesn't Right, so the Shelby Do[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]