General discussions related to cars and driving
By David993S
Nothing important, but it struck me this morning:

With the recent purchase of my Jag XK, I joined a popular Jaguar forum. Being new to Jag (my '58 XK150 was so long ago, and it certainly wasn't a "modern" Jag) I have had a bunch of questions about various maintenance and upgrade things. It seems every time I post a question, I never get a straight answer. They always seem to meander around the question and either don't answer it directly, partially answer it, or state something that is opposite of details I posted. Strange, and kind of amusing.

I haven't experienced that on Ferrarichat, here, or on the Mercedes boards when I ask something. Must have something to do with British cars being somewhat unpredictable. :lol2:
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:00 am Nothing important, but it struck me this morning:

With the recent purchase of my Jag XK, I joined a popular Jaguar forum. Being new to Jag (my '58 XK150 was so long ago, and it certainly wasn't a "modern" Jag) I have had a bunch of questions about various maintenance and upgrade things. It seems every time I post a question, I never get a straight answer. They always seem to meander around the question and either don't answer it directly, partially answer it, or state something that is opposite of details I posted. Strange, and kind of amusing.

I haven't experienced that on Ferrarichat, here, or on the Mercedes boards when I ask something. Must have something to do with British cars being somewhat unpredictable. :lol2:
Could it also be that the people on there aren't necessarily "car people" so they just don't know? But to save face they still try to provide somewhat of an answer?

Just a wild guess...
David993S liked this
By N_Jay
Helpful hint from a British Car forum:

Q: My car won't start on some mornings.

A: Have you tried lowering and raising the passenger side window? Works every time for me.
David993S, ny991 liked this
By David993S
fpena944 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am
David993S wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:00 am Nothing important, but it struck me this morning:

Could it also be that the people on there aren't necessarily "car people" so they just don't know? But to save face they still try to provide somewhat of an answer?

Just a wild guess...
That's possible. I think most of the regular posters are at least semi-car people. Some contributors seem to know about many of the quirks of Jag, but I think many just drive and enjoy their cars. Nevertheless, it's sometimes interesting to see the tack some take on a question.
By NSXguy
It used to be that British car folks all eventually got to know each other, by offering assistance when meeting on the side of the road.
Lucas Prince of Darkness and all that.
I expect the newer Jaguar owners are a lot like newer Porsche owners, most are not actually sports car enthusiasts and are only vested into the marque (including SUV's) until the lease expires.
By David993S
The latest input from the Jag forum has to do with a question regarding upgrading the brakes on my XK. Stock XK rotors are solid (but vented) rotors. I asked on the forum if anyone had experience or brand recommendation for upgrading to drilled, or slotted, or drilled and slotted rotors. About the only constructive input I got was to not buy cheap, Chinese rotors (which I wouldn't do anyway). Most all the other comments were along the lines of drilled/slotted rotors wouldn't be an upgrade, if Jag thought they were an upgrade it would have been an option, drilled rotors crack easily, etc. (ironic that Jag offers a brake upgrade/option on the later XKR's with drilled or slotted rotors). One of the guys posted a photo of a drilled rotor that had obviously seen severe use and heat (lots of cracks) as an example of how drilled rotors were bad. :rolleyes:

I do have a little bit of experience with brake upgrades, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to educate them on brake performance. Once I buy and he installs them, I might post a photo just to make their heads explode. :wink:

Actually, I will give some of those guys credit for knowing what causes and how to remedy the myriad of electrical gremlins from which Jags seem to suffer.
By N_Jay
David993S wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:36 pm . . .

Actually, I will give some of those guys credit for knowing what causes and how to remedy the myriad of electrical gremlins from which Jags seem to suffer.
It's called "Having to get to where you were going" (6 Year Triumph GT6 Driver)
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:36 pm The latest input from the Jag forum has to do with a question regarding upgrading the brakes on my XK. Stock XK rotors are solid (but vented) rotors. I asked on the forum if anyone had experience or brand recommendation for upgrading to drilled, or slotted, or drilled and slotted rotors. About the only constructive input I got was to not buy cheap, Chinese rotors (which I wouldn't do anyway). Most all the other comments were along the lines of drilled/slotted rotors wouldn't be an upgrade, if Jag thought they were an upgrade it would have been an option, drilled rotors crack easily, etc. (ironic that Jag offers a brake upgrade/option on the later XKR's with drilled or slotted rotors). One of the guys posted a photo of a drilled rotor that had obviously seen severe use and heat (lots of cracks) as an example of how drilled rotors were bad. :rolleyes:

I do have a little bit of experience with brake upgrades, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to educate them on brake performance. Once I buy and he installs them, I might post a photo just to make their heads explode. :wink:

On the internet everyone is an expert!

That's why when I found "that other site" years and years ago I was happy to discover a place where Porsche owners did things aside from discuss how expensive their custom options were.

Ask those owners how many have tracked their vehicles? :biggrin:
Sunroof t-shooting

I thought I'd post the text of the document so it […]

hi Bertrand yes they are a lot thinner than standa[…]

The 928 Photo Thread

pictured is the plate that the choke 99961914100 i[…]

the link rod between the motor and the cooling fla[…]