General discussions related to cars and driving
By David993S
I just winterized and put the toys away for the winter, so no driving them until next April or so. I usually find that putting them away in early Oct guarantees the weather will get nice for at least another month.
But I enjoy driving the Range Rover during the winter.
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:34 am I just winterized and put the toys away for the winter, so no driving them until next April or so. I usually find that putting them away in early Oct guarantees the weather will get nice for at least another month.
But I enjoy driving the Range Rover during the winter.
That's something I don't miss now living in the Southeast.

I remember having a winter beater not just because of the snow but because of the road conditions and the fact that my performance cars always had the wrong tires.

In FL of course it doesn't snow but in NC when it does they virtually shut the entire city down. So you can still keep your performance tires on since you won't be going anywhere any time soon!
By TheDeckMan
Still wrapping up last outside projects but most things are ready for winter, feel pretty good unlike last year which was down to the wire with snow flurries starting and was still moving things around.

Truck is back from the shop, needs the following done:
-Cleaning, new plow back up lights, plow mounted and all wiring connections checked over.
-New Snow tires mounted

Saab 9-3 needs a good cleaning, strut mounts, tie rods, oil change, gear box flush and snow tires mounted.

996TT - Wash and done

997TT - Finish Radiators, inspection, clean

Audi TT - Wash and done

Rav4 - Oil Change, lube rear brake sliders

Corrado - Done as it still has not seen any road miles.

Trailer - Broken jack leg, will replace over winter.

Now just have to make sure the tenant removes all vehicles Nov 1st.... :rage:
By DAVfoto
I figured that I will put my winter tires on sometime in November. Too early here in NJ as it is still quite brisk but beautiful out.
By amdavid
I'm guessing firewood is on that list too..... :zipper_mouth:

TheDeckMan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:52 am Still wrapping up last outside projects but most things are ready for winter, feel pretty good unlike last year which was down to the wire with snow flurries starting and was still moving things around.

Truck is back from the shop, needs the following done:
-Cleaning, new plow back up lights, plow mounted and all wiring connections checked over.
-New Snow tires mounted

Saab 9-3 needs a good cleaning, strut mounts, tie rods, oil change, gear box flush and snow tires mounted.

996TT - Wash and done

997TT - Finish Radiators, inspection, clean

Audi TT - Wash and done

Rav4 - Oil Change, lube rear brake sliders

Corrado - Done as it still has not seen any road miles.

Trailer - Broken jack leg, will replace over winter.

Now just have to make sure the tenant removes all vehicles Nov 1st.... :rage:
By TheDeckMan
amdavid wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:03 pm I'm guessing firewood is on that list too..... :zipper_mouth:
Hell no! One thing I do not miss is fire wood. Oil furnace and Propane for heaters so just servicing and changing out filters.
By fpena944
Was still 89 degrees here yesterday when I ran out in the 996 to grab some Chinese food. :scream:
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:59 am Was still 89 degrees here yesterday when I ran out in the 996 to grab some Chinese food. :scream:
Keep rubbing it in :stuck_out_tongue: not looking forward to snow :rage:
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:29 pm
fpena944 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:59 am Was still 89 degrees here yesterday when I ran out in the 996 to grab some Chinese food. :scream:
Keep rubbing it in :stuck_out_tongue: not looking forward to snow :rage:
Wife hates and feels like this is not natural. She wants to have the fireplace going and wearing long sleeve shirts this time of year. My I like both seasons and can find joy in the sun or the snow!
By Erik N
Ahhhh,
Home sweet home!
20201018_095144.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amdavid liked this
By lupo.sk

Daughter wanted to see snow so we went to see it :) (this is about 25min from our house)
By Airkuhl
Erik N wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:19 pm Ahhhh,
Home sweet home!20201018_095144.jpg
Was that from Sunday? We got pretty solid snowfall for a few hours in the morning but it didn't stick.
By Erik N
Airkuhl wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:31 pm
Erik N wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:19 pm Ahhhh,
Home sweet home!20201018_095144.jpg
Was that from Sunday? We got pretty solid snowfall for a few hours in the morning but it didn't stick.
Yep. Sunday about 10AM. We got almost a foot between Sat PM-Mon AM. Freeway into town this AM (Monday) was packed down into ice.
20201019_102318.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By tooloud10
The cold weather is sneaking up on us a bit early this year so am having my local shop dig up my winter wheels/tires and swap them out this week on all the cars.

I find that I actually drive my 996 more in the winter than I do in the summer. I can't imagine a better combination of capability, affordability, and enjoyability than a 4WD 996 on winter tires.

Also, I gave my teenager the X3 and have recovered the LR3 from her. I'm not quite sure what I'd even have to do to get a Blizzak-shod LR3 stuck in the snow.

Looking forward to it all. :)
By David993S
tooloud10 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 pm The cold weather is sneaking up on us a bit early this year so am having my local shop dig up my winter wheels/tires and swap them out this week on all the cars.

I find that I actually drive my 996 more in the winter than I do in the summer. I can't imagine a better combination of capability, affordability, and enjoyability than a 4WD 996 on winter tires.

Also, I gave my teenager the X3 and have recovered the LR3 from her. I'm not quite sure what I'd even have to do to get a Blizzak-shod LR3 stuck in the snow.

Looking forward to it all. :)

It would be impossible. Landy's don't get stuck. (I've owned three).
By AKSteve
Ugh.... It is 4° here in Anchorage and I felt bad because my truck (2017 Ford Raptor) was parked out on the street looking like an ice cube. I have an open space in my back garage where the truck will just barely fit, so I decided at 11pm to move it inside to warm up. There's a Technical Service Bulletin out for this model because the door locks can sometimes freeze up when it's cold outside, but it hasn't been much of a problem before and I haven't had a chance to bring the truck in to get it fixed.

Anyway, I started the truck up and the drivers door wouldn't stay closed because the lock was frozen, but I figured it was no big deal since I was about to pull it into the garage. I drove around back and went and opened up the garage and....the driver door swung shut and locked itself and wouldn't unlock. And it was still running. With my iPhone inside. I had the key fob with me, but hitting the unlock button only made the doors make a clicking sound without unlocking the locks.

Luckily I had a small blowtorch in my garage. The key fob for my truck has an actual brass key inside of it and the driver's door has a keyhole in it. So I put some gloves on and kept heating up the metal key with the blowtorch and putting the key into the key slot to warm up the lock. After about half an hour of doing this and turning the key, the door finally unlocked and stayed unlocked. My truck is now safely inside the garage and thawing out. Needless to say, I will be taking the truck in soon to get this issue fixed.
By BeerBurner
My car winterizing is simply throwing the winter tires on the Miata and the E36. Now that we have the AWD E90, I may not even put the winters on the Miata and stick with the two BMWs when there is the threat of snow.

BB.
By XR4Tim
I've only put about 1,000 miles on my Dart this year. It's still got the snow tires on it. I'm hoping the weather holds off another week while I move into the new house, which has enough garage space for all of my cars.
By TheDeckMan
AKSteve wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:03 am Ugh.... It is 4° here in Anchorage and I felt bad because my truck (2017 Ford Raptor) was parked out on the street looking like an ice cube. I have an open space in my back garage where the truck will just barely fit, so I decided at 11pm to move it inside to warm up. There's a Technical Service Bulletin out for this model because the door locks can sometimes freeze up when it's cold outside, but it hasn't been much of a problem before and I haven't had a chance to bring the truck in to get it fixed.

Anyway, I started the truck up and the drivers door wouldn't stay closed because the lock was frozen, but I figured it was no big deal since I was about to pull it into the garage. I drove around back and went and opened up the garage and....the driver door swung shut and locked itself and wouldn't unlock. And it was still running. With my iPhone inside. I had the key fob with me, but hitting the unlock button only made the doors make a clicking sound without unlocking the locks.

Luckily I had a small blowtorch in my garage. The key fob for my truck has an actual brass key inside of it and the driver's door has a keyhole in it. So I put some gloves on and kept heating up the metal key with the blowtorch and putting the key into the key slot to warm up the lock. After about half an hour of doing this and turning the key, the door finally unlocked and stayed unlocked. My truck is now safely inside the garage and thawing out. Needless to say, I will be taking the truck in soon to get this issue fixed.
Damn that is cold!

Awaiting news of the delivery of my new truck, keeping the old GMC running and in tip top shape has begun to really become a PITA. Of course I just mounted new snows on the GMC and have to get another set for the new truck :soapbox:
By Erik N
RE the key issue, interesting. my 2010 Expedition has a keypad that had never failed to work, even down to -40F. I always keep a key handy just in case.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]