Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By jschiller
I was doing my usual monthly browse at Tirerack.com searching for anything new in standard 16" tires for my S4 and came across these Yokohama A-008p tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSear ... rmance=ALL

I am going to need new tires when I switch back to manhole covers.
Has anyone here tried them yet? A bit more spendy than the Advans and heavier but full tread depth.
By worf
I think that’s the most choices I have seen for the 16” in 10-15 years.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
I've got the P Zero Rossos, which I'm happy with. The look fits with the S4 forged manholes. The P7s have that nostalgic look, but I would think they are pretty loud, with those similar sized tread blocks. I suspect the Yokes would be very much like the Rossos, being a Porsche spec tire.
By Sazerac
For what it is worth, only the rear Yokes are Porsche spec. I still don't even understand what that means. But it sure is a lot of 16" tires avaialble.
By worf
Sazerac wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:58 pm For what it is worth, only the rear Yokes are Porsche spec. I still don't even understand what that means. But it sure is a lot of 16" tires avaialble.
Start here:

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage ... -approvals
By Sazerac
Interesting read about tire specs. Thanks, Worf.

I really wondered what was behind those N-specs but was too lazy too look. The takeaway I have from it, is that the relevance for old Porsches like the 928 must be limited.

When I put the new Rosso's on my cars I also noticed that they are speced N5, but this doesn't seem to be 100% aligned with the information at Tirerack, becaues a second letter after N should indicate the vehicle for which it is "tuned".

I also wonder if it is just a way to leverage Porsche's branding more... But maybe there really is some kind of tuning. Oh well, back to the original topic I guess... Sorry for the interruption.
By worf
Sazerac wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm I really wondered what was behind those N-specs but was too lazy too look. The takeaway I have from it, is that the relevance for old Porsches like the 928 must be limited.
Beggars can’t be choosers for 16’ OE sizes. Even if that were not the case, yeah, I don’t think there’s a good reason to choose n-spec over something else, all other things equal for a 928.

Sazerac wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm ... But maybe there really is some kind of tuning. Oh well, back to the original topic I guess... Sorry for the interruption.
There are various other internet search hits for this. I have run across some videos and articles where manufacturer-spec tires were tested back to back on the same car. And my take away was “yes, it does seem to make a difference.” This of course, for the modern cars.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire designations. My GT350 has special for Ford, Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Well now... I just got off the phone with Best Wes[…]

Selling my 39 Chevy Pickup

Wow gorgeous classic! Good luck finding a new hom[…]

What is XR4Tim Working On?

This M6 is another one of my tailor's cars. htt[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

Had my D90s powder coated black, don’t have […]