Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
Mid-engine cars
By N_Jay
So, I am working on replacing the headliner on the Cayman, and found that some asshole (probably the one who fixed it up after it's original accident) used the wrong screw to hold one sun visor in place.

From the head (Philips, not Torx) I knew a) it was the wrong screw, and b) it was forced in!

So now do I:
a) Just use a new screw of the force threaded size.
b) Try to re-tap the threads to the first metic size that holds, and use that.
c) Drill out the 6 pop rivets holding the piece of metal, and tack weld in a new nut of the proper threads, then pop rivet back into place.
d) Other (looking for ideas)

It is not a structural piece. The sun visor mount is a piece of steel pop riveted onto the windshield frame after the body is painted. It is unpainted, possibly galvanized, and held in place with 6 large headed aluminum pop rivets.
(I will probably have to do some searching to find similar pop rivets)
The threads look like they are part of a nut, that I assume is tack welded to the back side, but I don't see any sign of wedding heat marks. (Maybe some kind of spot welding?)

Pictures will follow.
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm ... found that some asshole (probably the one who fixed it up ...
Don't get me started on the stupid shit I have seen done to 928s over the last 25 years by both "professional" and DIY owners. I have no conclusive evidence to support that the former group is on average better than the latter.

That rant written...
N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm From the head (Philips, not Torx) I knew a) it was the wrong screw, and b) it was forced in!

So now do I:
The first question I have is: what is the thread of the OE fastener? I assume you can determine this by looking at (all if necessary) another fastener.

If the fastener has a "machine thread" (e.g. M5 x 0.8 or M6 x 1.00 etc.) then my go-to thread repair is a TimeSert. The "kits" are not cheap. But it's arguably the best thread repair "technology." Inserts are available in various lengths for pennies. I've used the 5mm-long variety on occasions on 928s and that length is probably what you're looking at if what I suspect is true, is true.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm The threads look like they are part of a nut, that I assume is tack welded to the back side, but I don't see any sign of wedding heat marks. (Maybe some kind of spot welding?)
I have seen this mechanism on the 928 in many places, so it isn't a bad guess.

If there is indeed a square (or whatever) nut welded to the back of the metal bracket then I think it very likely that the original fastener is a machine thread type and thus the TimeSert would be my first choice.

This depends upon how much free space on the back side of the nut is available as you need 5-ish MM of free space behind the insert for the various bits.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm a) Just use a new screw of the force threaded size.
Last resort.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm b) Try to re-tap the threads to the first metic size that holds, and use that.
Then YOU are "that guy" that "fixed it last time."

I did this once many, many years ago and I regret it to this day.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm c) Drill out the 6 pop rivets holding the piece of metal, and tack weld in a new nut of the proper threads, then pop rivet back into place.
TimeSert. If you have zero space behind the nut then you might have to remove the bracket to do the TimeSert.

The main problem I see with welding on a new nut is getting it in exactly the right spot and/or not "killing" the bracket.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm (I will probably have to do some searching to find similar pop rivets)
A *wide* variety of pop rivets are available from McMaster-Carr. I, just recently, got a selection of (IIRC) 4.9, 5.0, and 5.1 MM rivets for 928 work.

Apropos rivets, I just bought a Millwaukee M12 (LiON) electric rivet gun and it's the bees knees. Way better than the manual and air-powered ones I used to use.
By N_Jay
worf wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm
N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm ... found that some asshole (probably the one who fixed it up ...
Don't get me started on the stupid shit I have seen done to 928s over the last 25 years by both "professional" and DIY owners. I have no conclusive evidence to support that the former group is on average better than the latter.

That rant written...
N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm From the head (Philips, not Torx) I knew a) it was the wrong screw, and b) it was forced in!

So now do I:
The first question I have is: what is the thread of the OE fastener? I assume you can determine this by looking at (all if necessary) another fastener.

If the fastener has a "machine thread" (e.g. M5 x 0.8 or M6 x 1.00 etc.) then my go-to thread repair is a TimeSert. The "kits" are not cheap. But it's arguably the best thread repair "technology." Inserts are available in various lengths for pennies. I've used the 5mm-long variety on occasions on 928s and that length is probably what you're looking at if what I suspect is true, is true.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm The threads look like they are part of a nut, that I assume is tack welded to the back side, but I don't see any sign of wedding heat marks. (Maybe some kind of spot welding?)
I have seen this mechanism on the 928 in many places, so it isn't a bad guess.

If there is indeed a square (or whatever) nut welded to the back of the metal bracket then I think it very likely that the original fastener is a machine thread type and thus the TimeSert would be my first choice.

This depends upon how much free space on the back side of the nut is available as you need 5-ish MM of free space behind the insert for the various bits.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm a) Just use a new screw of the force threaded size.
Last resort.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm b) Try to re-tap the threads to the first metic size that holds, and use that.
Then YOU are "that guy" that "fixed it last time."

I did this once many, many years ago and I regret it to this day.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm c) Drill out the 6 pop rivets holding the piece of metal, and tack weld in a new nut of the proper threads, then pop rivet back into place.
TimeSert. If you have zero space behind the nut then you might have to remove the bracket to do the TimeSert.

The main problem I see with welding on a new nut is getting it in exactly the right spot and/or not "killing" the bracket.

N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm (I will probably have to do some searching to find similar pop rivets)
A *wide* variety of pop rivets are available from McMaster-Carr. I, just recently, got a selection of (IIRC) 4.9, 5.0, and 5.1 MM rivets for 928 work.

Apropos rivets, I just bought a Millwaukee M12 (LiON) electric rivet gun and it's the bees knees. Way better than the manual and air-powered ones I used to use.
Thanks man.
1) Yes a machine thread.
2) Plenty of space behind to do whatever is needed.
3) also like times-sert, but probably overkill for just holding a sun visor mount.
4) Difference is using a Tap to form the new threads instead of the screw itself.
5) The bracket is substantial enough that I am not worried about destroying it (other than discoloration) by tack welding.
6) thought that your times-sert was crazy overkill, till I realized it would save me 6 pop rivets of some odd (I am sure uniquely german) size.

Guessing that the screw is 4mm or 5mm unless there is a common size in between.

Lucky I have a sample of an un-f-ed up on on the drivers side.

And I share your disdain for (so called) mechanics who take stupid shortcuts.
By N_Jay
Ok, just looked up the m3, m4, and m5 time-sert kits.
$108 each.

Anyone have one a can borrow?

What ever size it is, if I buy it, I will never strip another one of that size! :cussing:

Anyone ever use "E-Z LOK"? (Duh!, just noticed that they are for wood. ) :banghead:
By worf
Like I said: the kits aren’t cheap.

You can try rethreading with a tap. Since the clamping force required isn’t much, you don’t need a lot of “good threads.”

It surely doesn’t hurt to try.

Whether it works or not depends, of course, upon exactly what wrong fastener was forced into place.

Rivets from M-C will be cheaper than the shipping and I bet they will have whatever “odd” size is required. I was mildly surprised at how many zillions of sizes they offered in several different materials.

The other really cheap option is Helicoil which you maybe able to find at a good local h/w store. But, I won’t bet that it’ll work in a “nut context.” But, again, won’t hurt to try if a tap doesn’t work and you’re no worse off except for $10-ish.
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm Anyone have one a can borrow?
What size do you need?
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 pm Ok, just looked up the m3, m4, and m5 time-sert kits.
$108 each.

Anyone have one a can borrow?

What ever size it is, if I buy it, I will never strip another one of that size! :cussing:

Anyone ever use "E-Z LOK"? (Duh!, just noticed that they are for wood. ) :banghead:
I'll ask my dad tomorrow if he has something that can work in his stash.
By N_Jay
Well, Rivets are about $20 shipped for 25, so I might go that way.
I think I have a manual pop rivet tool somewhere.
Will have to practice my welding a bit.
Heck, I could probably use JB-Weld.

First I am going to see if a new M5 screw hold, but betting the threads are buggered way to bad.
Based on the "wrong" size screw was fairly tight and its head was buggered up so someone put some effort screwing it in.

Blue is the hole with the nut behind it. Red are three of the 6 rivets.
image.png
Only on-line picture but no reference for part #1
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 am Well, Rivets are about $20 shipped for 25, so I might go that way.
I think I have a manual pop rivet tool somewhere.
Will have to practice my welding a bit.
Heck, I could probably use JB-Weld.

First I am going to see if a new M5 screw hold, but betting the threads are buggered way to bad.
Based on the "wrong" size screw was fairly tight and its head was buggered up so someone put some effort screwing it in.

Blue is the hole with the nut behind it. Red are three of the 6 rivets.

image.png

Only on-line picture but no reference for part #1
image.png
Dad has the tool you're looking for but not the right size. Sounds like you're figuring out a different solution though.
By worf
I've got M6x1.0, M8x1.25, M10x1.25, M10x1.5 M12.1.5.

No M5 though.

Try the tap. Helicoil, or...
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 am Heck, I could probably use JB-Weld.
... I have used JB-weld for thread repair for low-clamping force holes when no other workable alternatives were practical.

My rule in situations like this is: if the proposed fix might work, and if it has no chance of making the problem worse if it doesn't work... then... why not?

Tap, Helicoil, JB-weld...

There are some other thread repair technologies between Helicoil and TimeSert in terms of start-up cost. Might google that...
By N_Jay
worf wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm
N_Jay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 am Heck, I could probably use JB-Weld.
... I have used JB-weld for thread repair for low-clamping force holes when no other workable alternatives were practical.

My rule in situations like this is: if the proposed fix might work, and if it has no chance of making the problem worse if it doesn't work... then... why not?

Tap, Helicoil, JB-weld...

There are some other thread repair technologies between Helicoil and TimeSert in terms of start-up cost. Might google that...
Actually we're looking at going the other way using a new nut but JB welding the nut in to place instead of tackwelding.
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm Actually we're looking at going the other way using a new nut but JB welding the nut in to place instead of tackwelding.
You’ll need to make a “mound” of JB-Weld.

How much have you played with that stuff?
By N_Jay
worf wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:37 pm
N_Jay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm Actually we're looking at going the other way using a new nut but JB welding the nut in to place instead of tackwelding.
You’ll need to make a “mound” of JB-Weld.

How much have you played with that stuff?
More than I care to admit.
Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well antiseized bolt nice and tight, and then filet in the six sides of the nut upto and just over the top edge.
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 pm Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well antiseized bolt nice and tight, and then filet in the six sides of the nut upto and just over the top edge.
Ok. As long as you realize from experience that JB-Weld doesn’t “like” to be glue.

@fpena944 Please sticky this for a month or […]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

Had my D90s powder coated black, don’t have […]

Moderators can unsticky this thread now. Thank you[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Thanks gentlemen