Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Sazerac
Hello All

So, it's always the case that problems come in pairs which makes diagnosis difficult. In the morning, I had 2 topics with the wave runner and in the afternoon 2 topics with the 91 GT.

My battery kept going down. Well, the hatch is not closing properly after I had to replace the latch with an after market latch because the original one cracked. With time for some reason the rubber bumper in the latch (not the stop below) has worn on the edge and this caused intermittant opening. That was on my radar screen, but I started to get eratic interior lighting as well.

Surprise, surprise, both switches were corroded. At first, I heard the relay (?) only clunking on the drivers door switch when actuated in situ. This seemed odd, because no relay clunk on the passenger door and no relay clunk on either doors of the 90 GT, which has the interior lights work correctly. After a while the relay stopped clunking when I depressed the switch drivers side. Then, the passenger side started clunking... This led to dismounting the switches and looking in closed and open positions.

These cars generally have a high build quality but the switch contacts are really not so clever here. Contact seems only across a very small circular rim of the silver mounting bolt to a copper wire crimp. Anyway, what is the procedure used to keep them in good shape? Guess I will tray some Deoxit and sand paper to improve the intermittent connections. Also, any idea why the 91GT makes a definitive relay clunk when the door switches are actuated and the 90GT does not? And, where is the damn relay? I could not find it in the schematics.

Cheers, John

PS: obviously somebody had been in there because the passengers side silver bolt is partially stripped in front... :confused: Wasn't me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
John, the door pin switches 90+, go to the window/sunroof “regulator” which is under the driver’s seat.
By Sazerac
Many thanks, Worf. Yes, I should have remembered that but the schematics seem to call that thing the "central electrics" or some similarly complicated name and it thew me for a loop.
By worf
IMG_2473.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Gary Knox
For a great primer on how to read the Porsche 928 wiring diagrams, go to this site: http://www.moore-fun.net/928-Electrics/ ... rimers.htm

Agree to Alan's terms, then download, save, print, and read this thesis. You will then be able to better understand what wires connect where, and to what.

Gary
linderpat liked this
By linderpat
Gary Knox wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:29 am For a great primer on how to read the Porsche 928 wiring diagrams, go to this site: http://www.moore-fun.net/928-Electrics/ ... rimers.htm

Agree to Alan's terms, then download, save, print, and read this thesis. You will then be able to better understand what wires connect where, and to what.

Gary
That's a great resource. Thanks Gary! :thumbup:
By Sazerac
Gary, Worf, many thanks! I think I must have even been looking at the wrong schematic... LOL
By Sazerac
Gary, been reading a little in the wiring primer. That is a freakin' assume document and will definitely thank Alan for it.
Gary Knox liked this
Refurbishing D90 Wheels

Had my D90s powder coated black, don’t have […]

Moderators can unsticky this thread now. Thank you[…]

Rear Brake line Seized

Thanks gentlemen

It used to be that British car folks all eventuall[…]