Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
General discussions related to cars and driving
By XR4Tim
I left my desk job a few months ago and started fixing cars out of my garage. Since I don't have any social media accounts, I thought I'd start a thread here to chronicle some of the more interesting things I work on.

One of the first cars to come through was this 1994 Alfa Romeo 164 LS.
1994_alfa-romeo_164_dsc09539-27473.jpg
My friend bought it sight-unseen with the seller noting that it doesn't rev above 2,000 RPM. He had the car shipped directly to my garage. When it arrived, it would barely run, much less get to 2,000 RPM.

I found a bunch of electrical connectors for things like the airflow meter, crank sensor, and fuel injectors were missing the metal clips that keep them engaged. There were no gaskets under the intake runners, the rubber boots connecting the intake runners to the plenum were all cracked and falling apart. The ground strap for the throttle body was not bolted to the throttle body, but was instead taped to another wire that was screwed into the plastic coolant reservoir at the other end. :banghead:

I did a compression test to get an idea of the condition of the engine, and found that the front bank of cylinders was all at around 50 psi. The rear bank was all around 170 psi.

I pulled the timing covers and found the carcass of a snake wrapped around the rear intake cam gear, and the front exhaust cam gear was one tooth out of time. I'm guessing the snake got up in there and didn't survive the next engine startup. He almost took the valves out with him. Resetting the timing, I got good compression on all cylinders, so we got out of it with no valve damage.
IMG_20231026_215541209.jpg
New timing belt, new clips on the electrical connectors, intake gaskets and runner boots, air filter, exhaust gaskets, oil pressure sensor, rear brakes, a battery, and a sunroof seal, and it ran like a champ. The car came with a binder full of receipts for maintenance, and the prior two owners had spent a combined $106k in maintenance and repairs on this car, including a $10k engine rebuild about 30k miles ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NSXguy, Scott at Team Harco, User2 and 2 others liked this
By XR4Tim
Currently, I'm working on this beautiful 1987 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL. It's getting front wheel bearings, a rear main seal, transmission front pump seal, steering box reseal, and an adjustment to the hydropneumatic self-leveling suspension, since the rear was sitting low when it came in. This should keep me busy for a while.
IMG_20240323_181806148_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User2 liked this
By XR4Tim
Another one of the first cars to come in was this 2002 Mercedes S600.
IMG_20240123_184349973_HDR.jpg
My tailor bought it from an auction in Florida and had it delivered to another shop, who told him that it had a massive oil leak. They diagnosed it as a leaking oil cooler (common problem on this engine), and told him that they would not be able to do the repair. He had it towed over to me, and I drove it into the garage where it left a massive puddle of oil on the floor. The oil cooler sits in the V of the engine, and both cylinder heads have to come off to get it out. In all, it was not a difficult repair, just very time consuming. The car had 66k miles on it, and the spark plugs looked to be original, so I replaced all 24 of them during the repair.
IMG_20231229_165642220_HDR.jpg
User2, JRMaroon liked this
By fpena944
Very cool @XR4Tim!

I know you were also thinking of some retail operation as well, did you ever get that launched?
By XR4Tim
fpena944 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:14 pm Very cool @XR4Tim!

I know you were also thinking of some retail operation as well, did you ever get that launched?
I got a vendor's license and have been selling Alfa parts, but only through word-of-mouth. I don't have any e-commerce stuff setup at this time.
NSXguy liked this
By fpena944
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:34 pm

I got a vendor's license and have been selling Alfa parts, but only through word-of-mouth. I don't have any e-commerce stuff setup at this time.
If you ever need help setting up a digital presence and promoting it let me know.
NSXguy liked this
By XR4Tim
fpena944 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:11 pm
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:34 pm

If you ever need help setting up a digital presence and promoting it let me know.
I definitely will!
By XR4Tim
IMG_20240325_164245853_HDR.jpg
This 4Runner was purchased in a barely-running condition and trailered over to me. The seller claimed to not know anything about what was wrong with it. It was running very rich and not firing on all cylinders.

I found that the intake plenum was missing a couple of bolts, the spark plugs were finger tight, and the plugs on the left side of the engine were a different brand than those on the right side. The air filter was new, but the MAF and throttle body were both very dirty. The oil looked clean, but smelled like gas. The valve covers were both leaking badly because the bolts were loose. There were remnants of mud in the engine bay up to the hood. I think someone submerged the engine and started to try and fix it, but gave up and hastily put it back together.

Compression on all cylinders was good, so I set about fixing the other stuff.
IMG_20240301_174757496_HDR.jpg
The timing belt was in bad shape, so it got all new belts, new plugs, ignition coil boots, a MAF, valve cover gaskets, and an oil pan gasket. After all that, it ran better but had a cylinder 3 misfire. The plug was completely dry because the injector was not firing. Hoping to get away with replacing just one injector, I pulled the right fuel rail, and saw that the #1 injector came out, but left its tip in the intake. I fished the tip out and replaced the #1 and #3 injectors. Now it had misfires on cylinders 1 and 3. It turns out that all of the other injectors were performing so poorly that the ECM was compensating with extra fuel, which was making the new injectors dump way too much into cylinders 1 and 3.

When I pulled the left bank of injectors out, they were all missing their tips (and corresponding bottom o-rings). Someone had broken them pulling them out, and then put them back in without their tips. :kickbutt:
IMG_20240325_112745407_HDR.jpg
After replacing the rest of the injectors it ran perfectly.
By XR4Tim
SeanR wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 pm This is how things start. Then people want you to work on their stuff. Then you start doing it to make a living............
Exactly what happened. I had too many friends asking me to work on stuff for me to possibly get it done in my spare time. Plus I hated my day job anyway.
SeanR, lupo.sk liked this
By fpena944
SeanR wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 pm This is how things start. Then people want you to work on their stuff. Then you start doing it to make a living............
XR4Tim wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 pm
Exactly what happened. I had too many friends asking me to work on stuff for me to possibly get it done in my spare time. Plus I hated my day job anyway.
This is how my dad started his business.

He would always fix cars on the side when in the Army but when he was nearing retirement he figured it could progress into a business.

Eventually got a shop with 8 bays and ran a pretty successful outfit for 23+ years. Sold it to move closer to us and truly retire. Shop still in business 5 years later.

So yeah, this could definitely turn into a way to make a living!
XR4Tim, SeanR liked this
By XR4Tim
New project was dropped off today.
IMG_20240410_203451141_HDR.jpg
This 900 Turbo suffered from a fractured transmission case. The owner at that time pulled the engine & transmission out and left it like that for the last 13 years. I've sourced a replacement low-mile transmission and will be going through the motor before putting them back in. I'm not looking forward to trying to figure out what fasteners go where, and how many are missing.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]