Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By maddog2020
On the other site a guy started a thread about making some dust shields. This has been on my mind since I upgraded to the 355mm Ferrari F50 front brakes. When you do this upgrade the S4 dust shields are really too small and the GTS version is only marginal better. I had the GTS versions that I purchased way back when they were only $20 each, so about 10 years ago, I tried to flatten them out a bit to work but it didn't really work well because the dust shields actually blocked air to the rotors as seen here:

I envisioned finding someone who could make a set of proper dust shields but got discouraged when I got a couple of quotes and the cheaper one was $400 per side. I was in a restaurant supply store and saw some pizza pans and thought they would make a good starting point. I found some the right size and they are pretty sturdy @ 1.6mm thick.

I drilled out the spot welds on my mashed GTS dust shields to get the center piece that protects the ABS ring from dust and debris. They would also serve well for making the pattern for drilling the mounting holes and the abs Sensor holes. This center ring will be reused.

I plan to do some shaping to create room for the lower ball joint, as well as cut an elongated slot to allow air flow to cool the rotors. I also plan on adding a spacer for the air flow shield that is above the lower control arm so the airflow will be directed towards the rotors as the original design intended.
Last edited by maddog2020 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
By worf
Interesting.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:06 pm I figured I'd get some funny responses starting with a pizza pan.
I didn’t realize that replacement OE shields are hen’s teeth. (Not that there’s a OE one that’ll fit yours.)

So, any development is interesting. I don’t think you’ll have to worry about operating temperature.

It’s all about the holes at this point.
By maddog2020

Plenty of room

Looks like my time was well spent on measuring and marking dead center before drilling holes.

The oval is where I will need to make a dent for the lower ball joint so it doesn’t rub on the shield

Just rough cuts for now. I will round the corners and clean up the edges. I need to take off another 1/4" or so around the caliper. Old Head bolts make a nice trick to keep the caliper out of the way and easy to slide back into place for fitment. When I'm done, Ill just put the regular caliper bolts back in.

This is how they will look when done. Need to trim just a bit more around the caliper as it’s about 1/4 inch from being seated.
Gary Knox, h2pmr liked this
By worf
Are you going to do anything to the surface?
By The Fat Man
This is impressive!
Nothing wrong with starting with base stock.

Well done.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
maddog2020 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:22 pm powder coat gloss black
Nice work! My first thought is powder coating wouldn't be good being so close to potentially very hot rotors. Bare aluminum is fine, or anodize.
By worf
Or, high-heat ceramic.
maddog2020 liked this
By maddog2020
SeanR wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:36 am I'm continually amazed at the solutions found for problems on availability. Well done Sterling.
thanks. I do come up with some oddball shit. It's just the way my mind works.
By maddog2020
contours for the lower ball joint are done for the drivers side, and I should have the drivers side 100% done tomorrow, and then I can mirror the cuts for the passenger side, and paint with caliper paint on Sunday. The contours are difficult to show in pictures, so I don't have any pics to show.
By Mrmerlin
Nice work Sterling its fun fabbing parts especially when they are already made for something else.

I like the black caliper paint, it works well,
I usually heat the metal parts first with a MAPP gas torch,
then spray them a few coats,
this drives the moisture out of the metal then helps the caliper paint cure to a harder finish.
Bravo !
By maddog2020
Here are a few shots of the finished dust shields:
This angle shows the contours for the lower ball joint and the 3 dimples near the top to ad rigidity
Mounted and looking nice

This is where the largest difference is. The Mashed GTS shields in one of the above shots only allowed air flow into the inner half of the rotor and only for part of the rotor. I opened up the length of the cutout to align with the defector shields above and below the lower control arm. This should make a huge difference in air flow for the rotors while also providing some protection from water, rocks and debris.

I re used the center section of the old dust shields by drill out the spot welds. I used a 2" ball bearing and a 2" ID piece of aluminum tubing as a sleeve on the back side and used a good old 5 lb sledge hammer to do the work. I then used a 1.5" length of 2" round bar stock and a press to press out the area between 2 of the ball bearing dents for the ball joint clearance.
Last edited by maddog2020 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Knox, hilton liked this
By worf
Pretty damn good for ‘garage engineering.’ :thumbup:
maddog2020, hilton liked this
By maddog2020
worf wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:24 pm Pretty damn good for ‘garage engineering.’ :thumbup:
I'm not sure it is engineering, but it was kinda fun making them. I really enjoy envisioning something in my mind and then making it. These came out better looking than I thought they would.
By maddog2020
thanks.

I have a youtube channel now, so if you want to be updated and see videos as I update them you can find me on youtube
@928Outlaw

I'm trying to build awareness outside the 928 realm so I can try to get into Excellence later this year. You guys can help out by subscribing so I can get bumped up in the searches on youtube.
By linderpat
Damn Sterling, that’s some fine work right there. I’ll check out you channel too.
maddog2020 liked this
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]