8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
have been cleaning this M28 02 block and just wondering if there are common cylinders that corrode more than others.

all corrosion is at the top 1" of the cylinders and / or block itself

cylinder 5 below
20231112_092301.jpg
20231112_092255.jpg
cylinder 7
20231112_092418.jpg
20231112_092421.jpg
and cylinder 6
20231112_092450.jpg
the other cylinders had very little corrosion on them

are these common cylinders for corrosion, possibly due to the way the water flows around the block ?

cheers
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:41 pm might even throw in some sport seats for sale too
Only if they are the ones with Extra Lateral Support.

:hiding:

And thus we know who are the old timers.
By maddog2020
sheesh... that is the worst block I've ever seen. need to post that on rennlist so Fred and Gb can spin up another shitstorm over head gaskets and coolant chemistry.

By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:18 pm sheesh... that is the worst block I've ever seen.
Same here. I’ve never seen block damage even 5% as bad as that. I am skeptical that it is corrosion damage. Seems more like “mechanical” damage.

Phil, do pictures of head gasket and head from that side of the motor exist?

maddog2020 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:18 pm need to post that on rennlist so Fred and Gb can spin up another shitstorm over head gaskets and coolant chemistry.
This right here:

By h2pmr
all i bought is the block and all internals, bought it from a guy called Todd, i think he puts his restoration on youtube, so heads etc might be on there.

it is an M28 02 so an old engine and to me it looks like corrosion, i thought if certain cylinders were common it could be at certain RPM a harmonic vibration could causing vibration of the water to wear away at the cylinders.
if i posted pictures and thoughts on RL Fred et al could be typing for days....

your answers are all good enough for me.

next stop coffee table... :thumbup:

cheers
Phil
By linderpat
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:41 pm might even throw in some sport seats for sale too
Only if they are the ones with Extra Lateral Support.

And thus we know who are the old timers.
By maddog2020
I really think it would be hilarious to start a thread like this on RL with the kitchen sink angle... start with the above and when the thread slows down, start it back up with vendors not testing their parts to spice it back up again.
By h2pmr
now on RL :hiding: :thumbup:
By worf
And, we have lift off. :drunk:
By h2pmr
anybody want to guess the number of views or posts there will be on the thread on the 31st Dec ? :hiding:
By worf
It’s really hard not to go over there and stir the pot.

And no Phil, not gonna guess. Gonna try to stay away from it.

But, seeing the head gaskets, yes galvanic corrosion.

As to the pattern of largest defects? <shrug> If I was forced to bet: Variations in the composition of the casting either due to local alloy composition differences or matrix structure differences due to how the casting cooled back on day 0.

The light reading in wiki is a good reminder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alusil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutectic_system
By Crumpler
I had a plan to introduce erosion secondary to wrong oil use and sulfur content, and then watch the carnage.
But I’m afraid if it was me they would realize our intentions.
By worf
Crumpler wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:51 am I had a plan to introduce erosion secondary to wrong oil use and sulfur content, and then watch the carnage.
Better to introduce vapor-distilled vs. de-ionized vs. tap water.
By linderpat
Crumpler wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:51 am I had a plan to introduce erosion secondary to wrong oil use and sulfur content, and then watch the carnage.
I looked; ouch, my head hurts :banghead:
By Addlight
I wonder how the cupholder placement impacted block corrosion? Also, I've been filling my cupholder with conventional 0W-20 oil.

Matt
lupo.sk, Crumpler liked this
By h2pmr
linderpat wrote:
I looked; ouch, my head hurts :banghead:
yes, so does mine, but its Friday and warm :drink: time
By Sazerac
worf wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:12 am It’s really hard not to go over there and stir the pot.

And no Phil, not gonna guess. Gonna try to stay away from it.

But, seeing the head gaskets, yes galvanic corrosion.

As to the pattern of largest defects? <shrug> If I was forced to bet: Variations in the composition of the casting either due to local alloy composition differences or matrix structure differences due to how the casting cooled back on day 0.

The light reading in wiki is a good reminder:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alusil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutectic_system
My first guess too was somehow a "bad" casting. Thanks for the interesting links, Worf, that have the background info about Alusil and cooling rates of material that could explain it.

OT: Interesting all the cars that use Alusil. What with newer cars also using it, you would think we might soon find somebody that can coat our pistons properly.
By Crumpler
Ahhhhhhhh.

Fred has just laid the tomes of corrosion upon them.
Like Charles Heston coming down from the burning bush!
By worf
Crumpler wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:02 am Like Charles Heston coming down from the burning bush!
By worf
Related tangentially…

Looks like IB has noticed the dumpster fire that is the suspension thread in TOS(RL.)

I wonder which sponsor is bullying community members?

Actually, not rhetorical. I suspect I know the answer, but I could be wrong.

But, I can resist opening the lid on the hot dumpster for days if not forever.
By Crumpler
I’ve never seen Robb step in. But his rhetorical question could be applied to the last 15 years of that forum. Why now?
By worf
Crumpler wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:26 amWhy now?
Occam’s Razor suggests… Somebody went all …

By Crumpler
Well, the why now, is probably because the moderator is tired of dealing with pushing the same rock up that hill or the treat of litigation if he does.
Easier to wash your hands.
By h2pmr
could go the same on the EV thread over there
i work on EV's in my day job and they are great, but Ken is on a hiding to nothing arguing on a V8 based forum.
another keyboard warrior, with probably nothing better to do.
post #73, top man :thumbup:
i will be watching from afar :popcorn:
By worf
Crumpler wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:45 pm Mein Gott.
Greg. Just won’t stop.
I haven’t looked. But from a few tidbits in the emailed post notifications it’s clear the the dumpster fire has ignited the surroundings.
By Crumpler
I had to smirk when I read that the golden age of RL was with Randy V in charge.
By worf
Crumpler wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:40 am I had to smirk when I read that the golden age of RL was with Randy V in charge.
I didn’t see that.

But, … yup.
By worf
I’m reminded of this.

“That was a GREAT thread.”

Young’uns … it’ll go right bye’em.

By Crumpler
I guess I’m confused in the valve cover thread OTOS.

I don’t have a law degree, granted.
Does he really think people would be incarcerated over chippy forum posts?
By Crumpler
A hired team of professional hackers will break into our personal computers or IB server?
It wasn’t made clear.
By Crumpler
Never mind, looks like the original posts are gone.
By worf
<shrug>
Rear Brake line Seized - Fixed

Thanks Dave. I knew you would notice... :) I don't[…]

What kind of forum is this that we don’t have a Ra[…]

1st place in both prototypes and GT classes at S[…]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DgVrPnV7Q T[…]