Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
General discussions related to cars and driving
By JustBud
I've been a closet Mustang guy all my life and honestly would love to build a restomod version of the Bullitt car someday....

This is Ford's STREET version of their new entry into GT3 world..... the Mustang GTD.

I actually like it, didn't like the redesign they just did (the S650 body) but this is eye catching.
Especially the rear, with what I'd say are actually Porsche inspired trunk vents and rear grille between the taillights....
Ford is shooting (and they've actually said it in public) for a sub 7 minute 'Ring time......

I will say, the sounds this thing makes are AWESOME.... but Mustangs have always turned my head with their exhaust noises.

By fpena944
JustBud wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:34 am I've been a closet Mustang guy all my life and honestly would love to build a restomod version of the Bullitt car someday....

This is Ford's STREET version of their new entry into GT3 world..... the Mustang GTD.

I actually like it, didn't like the redesign they just did (the S650 body) but this is eye catching.
Especially the rear, with what I'd say are actually Porsche inspired trunk vents and rear grille between the taillights....
Ford is shooting (and they've actually said it in public) for a sub 7 minute 'Ring time......

I will say, the sounds this thing makes are AWESOME.... but Mustangs have always turned my head with their exhaust noises.

Never owned a Mustang but had an ex-girlfriend in college that had one and I loved the sound and torque galore the engine had. So like you I kinda feel like a closet Mustang fan too.

If it had more garage space and play money I would probably have one even if just for the exhaust sound. They always turn my head.

As for this one, I'm happy Ford is doing something to redeem the Mustang name after pilfering it for an EV SUV. I hope it does well as it certainly looks promising!
By ranger22
Sounds great, looks aren’t so great IMHO. Ford can do better.

I used to be a closet Mustang fan until my dad bought a GT350. I’ve taken it out for a few drives. It looks and sounds great. It’s quick, but for 520hp, I’m pretty sure my silly little 435hp aero beetle was quicker. Part of that is the weight of the Mustang platform and part of it is the Peaky HP output. They post big numbers, but for much of the Rev range the HP isn’t all that impressive. Handling obviously wasn’t precise and telepathic as a well sorted GT-Porsche either. I get it, apples and oranges, but it doesn’t change the fact that I was left a little disappointed.

I recall someone picked up a track version of the mustang before the GT350 generation. I believe it was based on the BOSS 302, but stripped out and setup with rollcage and racing bits. That thing was the loudest car I’ve ever heard, I think it made my ears bleed the one time I let them pass. After that, I was hellbent to not let them pass or to pit out to avoid. I’ve never felt ear pain like that.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
ranger22 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:20 pm Part of that is the weight of the Mustang platform and part of it is the Peaky HP output. They post big numbers, but for much of the Rev range the HP isn’t all that impressive.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I could let this comment go unchallenged. The Voodoo is not at all a peaky engine. As shown in the attached analysis I did >7 years ago, prior to my acquisition of one, above ~3500 rpm, the torque curve is quite flat, and the engine makes its HP all the way up to the 8250 rpm redline. Perfect for a road racing engine - like the 350 was designed for.

Around town, below 3500 rpm, the engine has plenty of torque - sometimes, due to my sloppyness, I accidently start out in 3rd - no problem. However, one has to be careful if you are getting on it, as when you get to 3500 (as shown in the curve - wheel torque/power) there is a big jolt of extra torque that comes on - I've lit up the tires in 3rd gear at 45 mph.

The purpose of my analysis was to determine the best shift points. Turns out redline (8250) is best to maximize acceleration in all changes including the 4-5 change.
By fpena944
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:27 am
ranger22 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:20 pm Part of that is the weight of the Mustang platform and part of it is the Peaky HP output. They post big numbers, but for much of the Rev range the HP isn’t all that impressive.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I could let this comment go unchallenged. The Voodoo is not at all a peaky engine. As shown in the attached analysis I did >7 years ago, prior to my acquisition of one, above ~3500 rpm, the torque curve is quite flat, and the engine makes its HP all the way up to the 8250 rpm redline. Perfect for a road racing engine - like the 350 was designed for.

Around town, below 3500 rpm, the engine has plenty of torque - sometimes, due to my sloppyness, I accidently start out in 3rd - no problem. However, one has to be careful if you are getting on it, as when you get to 3500 (as shown in the curve - wheel torque/power) there is a big jolt of extra torque that comes on - I've lit up the tires in 3rd gear at 45 mph.

The purpose of my analysis was to determine the best shift points. Turns out redline (8250) is best to maximize acceleration in all changes including the 4-5 change.
Does this engine have variable valve timing?

I ask because that torque bump reminds me of the behavior of my 996 when the variocam kicks in.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
Yes, it does have VVT.
fpena944 liked this
By ranger22
Geza-aka-Zombo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:27 am

Fair enough, my butt dyno is no match for charts. Clearly, I have no explanation for why the GT350 feels lethargic for having 520hp. Perhaps it is the gearing or the weight of the vehicle. According to Car and driver, the GT350 hits 60mph in 4.2sec whereas the GT3 does it in 3.7sec with 85 less HP. Regardless, the GT350 and 350R look and sound great!
By worf
I have pretty much decided that it is counterproductive to be interested in an American “Halo” car (e.g. ZR-1/Z06, ZL-1, GT350R, etc.) these days. I was mildly interested in the VooDoo-engined mustang and quickly came to the conclusion that it would be impossible to get one except on the secondary market.

I don’t know how Gaz got one. Easiest explanation is that he’s the kept man of the dealership owners daughter. :lol2: :roflmao:

‘course the same is true for Porsche GT cars. Although, now it is a bit more egalitarian with Porsche dealers: anyone can get a GT-<n>[RS] as long as you are willing to pay 20%-ish over sticker.
By worf
ranger22 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:55 am Fair enough, my butt dyno is no match for charts. Clearly, I have no explanation for why the GT350 feels lethargic for having 520hp.
Over the years I have formed a theory: Human butt-o-meters sense change-in-torque (i.e. first-derivative of torque.) So, experiencing acceleration on a rising torque curve is felt as ‘more-better acceleration’ than experiencing acceleration on a flat torque curve.
User2 liked this
By Geza-aka-Zombo
worf wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:41 pm
I don’t know how Gaz got one. Easiest explanation is that he’s the kept man of the dealership owners daughter. :lol2: :roflmao:
If you are going to be at Frenzy, I'll tell you the story.

As far as a comparison to a GT3, at around 3800 lbs, I think the 350 is carrying an additional 8 or 9 bags of cement underhood. I think that's probably the bulk of the difference. Putting power down at the start is also advantage GT3. I'd be curious if things were closer 0-150.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]