Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
General discussions related to cars and driving
I need new back tires for the Cayman so I brought up Tire Rack and ordered a set while selecting mobile installation.

I've done this twice now and it is such a blessing as they do all of the work in my driveway and I do as I wish without the inconvenience of going to the shop.

The previous two times I had gone through the checkout process and once completed then I proceed to schedule my appointment and then we're basically done. No human interaction needed and no fuss or mess.

But this time it was different. Instead I got an email telling me to call my local Discount Tire store. I'm thinking, "I don't want Discount Tire to do this, I want my same mobile install guy." But I call and instead the mobile scheduling is done via phone by calling this location.

They then tell me they can't schedule anything until the tires arrive. "Ok, that stinks" I think to myself.

So this morning they call me and tell me the tires arrived. But they call when I'm not really in a position to talk. I do schedule an appointment but they want payment before they come. So I tell them I'll have to call back when I have the chance.

I call about half hour later and am put on hold for 15+ minutes. I hang up and then we play phone tag twice until I get back in touch with them to provide payment.

WHY HAS THIS PROCESS CHANGED?!?

What a pain, when I do business online it's because I want to do business online. Why do I need to call when the online scheduler worked perfectly before.

See this is the issue when a business acquires another - they often affect the very things that made the previous business attractive in the first place.

Ok rant over...
I've been a TireRack customer forever. I've probably bought more BBS wheels from them than any other customer in Alaska. I used to always get a set whenever I'd get a new car and then I'd use my stock wheels as my winter wheels. For the past few years, they just don't have any good wheels in stock. They didn't hav e single set of BBS wheels when I bought my last BMW so I ended up going with a set of MSW wheels. The Porsche 992 has been out for years now and TireRack still has only ONE wheel available for it, the O.Z.LEGGERA HLT, in either black or silver. So their selection of options sucks now. And a lot of the time, when you do find a wheel you want, it's out of stock.
Cuda911 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:58 pm I just ordered tires for my Cayman last week. I always call Tire Rack when I place an order. They answer right away and are helpful. I have them send the tires directly to my tire shop, then go over when it's convenient for me.
If I would have chosen to have them installed at the shop of my choice then I'm sure there wouldn't have been any issues. My problem was when I selected the mobile installation the process is now more difficult than it needs to be.
AKSteve wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:26 pm I've been a TireRack customer forever. I've probably bought more BBS wheels from them than any other customer in Alaska. I used to always get a set whenever I'd get a new car and then I'd use my stock wheels as my winter wheels. For the past few years, they just don't have any good wheels in stock. They didn't hav e single set of BBS wheels when I bought my last BMW so I ended up going with a set of MSW wheels. The Porsche 992 has been out for years now and TireRack still has only ONE wheel available for it, the O.Z.LEGGERA HLT, in either black or silver. So their selection of options sucks now. And a lot of the time, when you do find a wheel you want, it's out of stock.
I did notice several of the tires that fit my car were out of stock. Even the fronts weren't available but I just needed the back tires. Not sure if it's anything having to do with the acquisition by Discount Tire or just the new world order but yeah, it stinks!
NSXguy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:22 pm When competitors merge, service tends to go down....because it can :bigcry:
David993S wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:28 pm Sounds like they're just trying to out-source a part of the process. Not sure how it saves them time or costs, but businesses never make changes that increase their costs. The new process definitely sounds more cumbersome.

I had them installed this morning and what's funny is that it was the same tech and same truck as I had the last two times I used the service. The difference now though was that he was wearing a Discount Tire uniform instead of Tire Rack. The truck also had its wrap removed and he told me it was in the process of getting wrapped with the new brand name.

I mentioned to him that I really preferred the old way of scheduling and asked why the change. He also sounded frustrated and said he's spending a lot more time scheduling and managing payments now than on the field doing the job. So I think someone, somewhere made a decision and didn't think about the consequences down the line. He hopes, as do I, that eventually they'll go back to using the old system that was fully automated.

In any case the Cayman has new shoes so everyone is happy!
Interesting.

I used to be a Tirerack customer.

But for the last 10-ish years I’ve just been using a local mobile install service directly. I tell’em what tires I want, their maximum date code (I won’t pay for tires older than six months) and give them a list of days from which to choose.

My only complaint is that I don’t like the valve stems they used last time.
I have been a fairly loyal Tire Rack shopper since I put a set of Fuldas on my GT6 in 1978 or so.
I generally shop for the best price on decent tires, and other than Costco, Sam's Club, and Bjs, it is almost always Tire Rack.
I have never had a tire fail due to age, so always look at their clearance tires to see what bargains are there.
N_Jay wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:27 pm I have been a fairly loyal Tire Rack shopper since I put a set of Fuldas on my GT6 in 1978 or so.
I generally shop for the best price on decent tires, and other than Costco, Sam's Club, and Bjs, it is almost always Tire Rack.
I have never had a tire fail due to age, so always look at their clearance tires to see what bargains are there.
I didn't know Tire Rack has been around that long!

I thought they were from the 1990s but I guess they have a longer history.
tire rack warranty is better than anyone else in the tire business. you file a claim and get the tire any way you want. locally, online, or have tire rack send you one. if you buy somewhere local then they reimburse you. everyone else makes you bring it back to them no matter how inconvenient it is.
fpena944 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:44 pm
N_Jay wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:27 pm I have been a fairly loyal Tire Rack shopper since I put a set of Fuldas on my GT6 in 1978 or so.
I didn't know Tire Rack has been around that long!

I thought they were from the 1990s but I guess they have a longer history.
Yep, ads in the back of R&T way back.
Good old 800 number ordering.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]