Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By grepin
I know a guy that has had a 4.7L block and crank sitting around in his shed and when the time came to get rid of it to let me know. Well the time has come. I was considering just grabbing it and storing it as a spare should I need it. I havent opened my motor yet so no sure what I may find. I also know where there are a set of S2 heads also on promise to me if I want them. So here are my thoughts. Just pull my motor as a matching numbers motor and just store it and build a new motor from the block and heads. I guess I could use my heads as I would need cams. Not sure what options I have to do to the new motor to spec it up a bit.. My car is a 4.7 Euro.
Or just stick to my motor and do the head gaskets and keep it simple.
By worf
Build up spare motor with lots-more power.
Swap with original motor.
Blowup spare motor.
Rebuild original motor based upon experience from spare-built-busted motor.

:hiding:
MFranke, linderpat liked this
By worf
N_Jay wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:56 am And I though this was going to be the decision between a coffee table and a dining table. :hiding:
That’s the last step in the process once the original motor is back in the car.

I forgot to mention that the process above can be iterative.

Just ask Sterling :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:
By jschiller
grepin wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:40 am So here are my thoughts. Just pull my motor as a matching numbers motor and just store it and build a new motor from the block and heads.
Question for the hive...Does a matching numbers motor have any value when in a non-concours 928? I have a spare motor myself with FAR fewer miles than my current car has and I'm thinking of doing the swap after going through it, changing head gaskets, etc. Are matching numbers relevant at all?
By worf
jschiller wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:18 pm Question for the hive...Does a matching numbers motor have any value when in a non-concours 928? I have a spare motor myself with FAR fewer miles than my current car has and I'm thinking of doing the swap after going through it, changing head gaskets, etc. Are matching numbers relevant at all?
If we ever get to “Air Cooled 911 Land” where rusty hulks dredged from swamps fetch $30k?

Yes.

In the case of a swap, as long as you don’t dispose of the original block, you can always have the original available.

Is that reality? <shrug>

I decided a long time ago that I have no idea what 928s are worth, only what it takes to “fix” them.
By grepin
I am liking all course of actions. Pointing to positive on getting the block. I was hoping I would see inside my motor before I committed but need to make a decision now. I just moved house with the intent of putting in a hoist which enables the engine out. I have already replaced everything around the motor so that is ready to swap. My car is an Australian delivered matching numbers car. However if I was chasing a perfect collector car I wouldnt buy mine.
By maddog2020
worf wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:04 am
N_Jay wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:56 am And I though this was going to be the decision between a coffee table and a dining table. :hiding:
That’s the last step in the process once the original motor is back in the car.

I forgot to mention that the process above can be iterative.

Just ask Sterling :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:
you forgot the part about buying one of greg's prototype clutches and letting that eat a motor. :hiding:
By Hey_Allen
Were those the ones he advertises as the best clutch you'd ever buy, and sells for around $4k?

That was the last straw for me deciding that my car was getting an LS1 swapped into it...

As to the spare block question, can't hurt to have one in hand, even if you never use it. I had one for my car until I was getting ready to move 2000 miles, and had already decided I was going to swap to the Chevy engine, so left it in the hands of one if the local 928 owners in the area I was departing.
By MFranke
worf wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:48 am Build up spare motor with lots-more power.
Swap with original motor.
Blowup spare motor.
Rebuild original motor based upon experience from spare-built-busted motor.

:hiding:
Perfect. Exactly what I'm doing. Except I'm not blowing up the spare... yet. The original motor is sitting on the stand and I am taking my time with it. For the OP, having a spare is great. It's a great reference if nothing else. Also nice to look at.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:18 pm you forgot the part about buying one of greg's prototype clutches and letting that eat a motor. :hiding:
Well… you forgot the part about experimenting on spare motor :hiding: :hiding: :hiding:

On that subject, I have an unneeded ‘89 motor (99.9% complete, as removed) that is for sale…

… if anyone wants a spare with which to experiment…
By grepin
Hey_Allen wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:24 pm Were those the ones he advertises as the best clutch you'd ever buy, and sells for around $4k?

That was the last straw for me deciding that my car was getting an LS1 swapped into it...

As to the spare block question, can't hurt to have one in hand, even if you never use it. I had one for my car until I was getting ready to move 2000 miles, and had already decided I was going to swap to the Chevy engine, so left it in the hands of one if the local 928 owners in the area I was departing.
Another option that I have considered. If I had my hand forced. But I didn't want to mention it until you did. The renegade vids are interesting.
By Hey_Allen
grepin wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:10 am... The renegade vids are interesting.
I elected to go with the Texas Performance Concepts solution, as their system only uses a custom bell housing adapter and spacer, none of the wear items are custom.

I can share more info if anyone is interested, but I do understand it's not for everyone.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]