8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By maddog2020
the headers don't really hang down that low, they are just bulky and wide.. or girthy if that is your thing. :lol2:

For initial startup and measuring the clutch actuation I will run it as is without the bell housing, however for street tuning, dyno runs and the trip to alignment shop I'll install the lower bell housing.

back to the oil cooler fan shroud, since I have an oil temp sensor, and have the ability to data log, I plan to run the oil cooler without the fan shroud and fans, and measure the oil temps, and then install the cooler, with the fans, run it and see what the temps end up being. I have plenty of outputs on the ecu to trigger the fans based on oil temp and even create a table based on vehicle speed combined with ambient air temps combined with oil temps.

I drilled the 68 holes (who's counting?) for the rubber flaps and each corner of the rectangles and will cut out the rectangles via dremel, as well as also cut out the 4 inch holes for the fans.
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:15 am ... since I have an oil temp sensor ... I have plenty of outputs on the ecu to trigger the fans
Very cool.

maddog2020 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:15 am I drilled the 68 holes (who's counting?) for the rubber flaps and each corner of the rectangles and will cut out the rectangles via dremel, as well as also cut out the 4 inch holes for the fans.
I was going to, but forgot, to ask if you had a little table-top laser cutter / mill or something. But, that question's answered.

maddog2020 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:15 am the headers don't really hang down that low, they are just bulky and wide.. or girthy if that is your thing. :lol2:
Does your exhaust hang low?
Does it wobble to an fro?
Can you tie it in a knot?
Can you tie it in a bow?
Can you throw it over your shoulder?
Like a Continental Soldier?

Does your exhaust

Hang

Low?
By hernanca
worf wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:44 pmSG’s worried about the metal pan rubbing. I’m worried about the exhaust scraping the ground :tongue: No low rider will that be.

</hyperbole>
REAL Low Riders scraaaaaaaaaape. :burnout:
By maddog2020
been plugging away at the little stuff and all of the time consuming stuff. Harness work, fuel lines, and throttle linkages done.

Still have a ton of stuff but definitely getting closer.

:burnout:
SeanR, hernanca, MattiasH and 2 others liked this
By deutschmick
Glad that I found this thread. Simply beautiful!
By maddog2020
getting more done today.

I did find my weakness. I wasted 10 feet of hose trying to make 2 oil lines. I absolutely hate making AN hoses. I do know exactly what I need so I'll have a local hose shop make them.
By worf
Coolant expansion tank?
By maddog2020
its on the list. I need to repair the junction for the abs & brake pad sensor and want to get that done 1st. Still have lots to go. I'm shooting for fire up in mid July.
By maddog2020
Cooling fans are done except adding seals to force more air thru the cooler.

If you look carefully you can see the flaps sucking shut on the back side. I don't even have a proper seal yet between the shroud and the cooler.

Here is a view of the flaps getting pulled closed.

By maddog2020
finally got the clamps in for the vacuum hoses so those are done.

Top view

Side view

Fan shroud seals came in

Final fitment of the Setrab dual pass oil cooler with lines, and fan shroud
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:13 pm almost ready for startup. A few more small things.
Looking awesome.

That blank space where the coil amps used to be needs something in it. I dunno what, but something :thumbup: Empty holes bother me.
Dimitri928 liked this
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:40 pm I'm thinking some sort of plaque
Yeah; y0u could take the heat sink plate and do something with that. Or something to throw off gawkers like a couple of (two-years ago) high-end GPUs :tongue:

I’m curious: engine air filter and housing? I don’t recall seeing that yet.
By maddog2020
I need to get it on a dyno to see whether to run short horns or longer curved horns as that will determine how I build the airbox and filtration. I have some 3 layer screens to work until then. They filter out anything over 3 microns. There are also some finer filter material that I can use as well. the main focus is to get it running, tune it in different configs & get some miles on it, before doing any hero dyno pulls. It will have covers on the itb's when parked or stored in the garage. The airbox is going to be expensive. (3D scanning and printing prototypes and possibly the final design, or it might be carbon fiber) I haven't decided yet. I do have some pics with the longer horns on it. I'll see if I can dig those up. The plan is to tune and drive with the short horns, then medium then longer horns and see how it feels, as well as dyno.
Last edited by maddog2020 on Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By maddog2020
startup has been delayed. I went thru my testing protocol, and found a failed injector driver, so I had to send it back to Link who sent it back to New Zealand for repair. While I'm waiting for that I'm doing some other work, wrapping up some interior work, as well as audio, and general re assembly of all the systems I've dissasembled over the years.
By hernanca
Benno wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:00 pm Your work on this car is such an inspiration for me.
Indeed - thank you for documenting it!
By Crumpler
It really is quite amazing.
One of the things so impressive to me is that it’s so well done it looks factory.
My stuff looks like I did it myself ;)
By maddog2020
thanks guys~! making it look factory-ish is my goal. It takes quite a bit more time and money to do it that way but it's the only way I know how to do it. I also wasted a ton of both on black chrome and stainless hardware but it looks fantastic. The airbox is going to be the tough part because I'm not going to drop my standards for performance or for aesthetics but that is down the road. The good news is that my ecu finished burn in and final testing and shipped out yesterday from NZ. Should be here in a couple of weeks. I may wait a few more weeks before firing it up as cooler weather is just around the corner. (hopefully) We've been teetering on 106-110 daily temps for almost a month.
By maddog2020
ECU made it back from NZ, and I've completed the bench test and also got to play with a new to me handheld fluke scopemeter. Work got in the way for the last month or so, but starting next week I'll have plenty of time to start working on it again, and the weather has started to cool down as well.
amdavid, MattiasH, Mrmerlin and 1 others liked this
By Mrmerlin
Sterling your project is terrific, as is your work ethic.
I hope that this engine runs great,
you certainly have worked very hard for it!
hernanca, Dimitri928 liked this
By Crumpler
Update please. :)
By maddog2020
no updates as of yet. Just haven't had the motivation to get out into the garage and get going again. I might make it out there today.
By Crumpler
I get it.
This is not a slapdash project.
Savor the flavor.
hernanca liked this
By maddog2020
Today is the day~! Yesterday I spent the day going thru my testing protocol for all of the sensors, injectors and coils. All injectors and coils succeeded test firing. I'll be putting in fresh fuel and testing for fuel leaks, followed by startup.

We do need a burnout smiley for this site.
hernanca liked this
By maddog2020
frickin o-rings on ITB fuel rails leaking. Startup postponed to tomorrow.
By Scott at Team Harco
maddog2020 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:13 am Today is the day~! Yesterday I spent the day going thru my testing protocol for all of the sensors, injectors and coils. All injectors and coils succeeded test firing. I'll be putting in fresh fuel and testing for fuel leaks, followed by startup.

We do need a burnout smiley for this site.
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
hernanca liked this
By maddog2020
did my 1st oil change. Oil came out as clean as it does coming out of the bottle. It was only about 5 minutes of run time. The drain plug was clean as well as the magnet in the setrab filter that I used. When I drained the oil I drained it thru a paint filter, and had no debris in the filter after draining all of the oil out. This oil change was primarily for me to make sure that my OCD'ness about cleaning and assembly paid off & it did. I used Driven 20/50 break in oil, and will fill again with the same. The plan is to run it up to temp for 20 minutes @ 2K RPM for cam breakin, and then I'll sync the ITB's and do another oil change. After that I'll feel comfortable doing some street tuning. Initial tune will just be for, start, idle and off idle as well as basic tune up to 4K RPM so I can drive it and get the engine broke in. I'll also be working on the alignment so I don't eat up the tires. I'd like to be able to drive it to the dealer for the alignment so I'll be using the alignment plates I got from Roger, as well as so other alignment tools to get the toe and camber.
linderpat, MattiasH, amdavid and 1 others liked this
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]