Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Crumpler
Let’s round on the future of the stock ECU.

As our computers reach into extreme old age, it does not seem practical for 1-2 people worldwide to rebuild 40 year old components.

Surely the other p-car platforms are having the same concerns as we do.

Objectively the two options would be the mothership producing replacements, which I don’t see. Or an aftermarket plug in with stock parameters. Which could probably be done with minimal technology since we are essentially replacing a VIC-20. Dave will interject, that’s it a Commodore 64;).
I don’t see that happening either, at least at present.

Third and distanced option that the average 928 owner wants true aftermarket ECU options like megasquirt or god forbid VEMS. Also not likely.

Not even mentioning the harness degradation, where do you see things going from here?
By worf
VIC-20 is way overkill for the stock ECUs.

I have thoughts on the rest, but I need a nap before packing for back-to-back SITM and Camp928.
By Crumpler
I found this so obviously the 944 crowd is grappling with the same issues.
If I am reading correctly, it uses stock chips with updated motherboard.
By hessank
I actually thought of this too and wrote to them in 2022
This was their response
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By hessank
Unfortunately, I did not follow through. :mad: :mad:
By Crumpler
hessank wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:42 pm Unfortunately, I did not follow through. :mad: :mad:
Still, Fred, you were ahead of the game contacting him. His email doesn’t knock me over as a guy highly motivated to expand his business into other platforms does it.

The hardest part I bet would be sourcing the adapter s to the stock harness. The ones I got from Peep for the VEMS conversion were definitely repurposed from used units.
By hessank
I am never selling my car, this is my 3rd 928 and this Koenig was my dream car.
Hence, I'm also interested in how to keep it going for the next 30 years + since my son loves it too.
In 2015 I purchased an LH & EZK, had those rebuilt with PEMS (by Louis) and changed over to alpha-N.
I kept my orig Maf, LH & EZK as spares as this is the ONLY backup we have at the moment.
Having some form of redundancy would be great
By hans14914
I still have plug-in adapter boards for the stock harness if anyone needs them. They convert the TE connectors to Ampseal for easy pinning.

There will always be some tradeoffs to retaining the factory harness. If one were to make a plugin ECU (and wanted to keep the MAF) you are somewhat limited by the boards available. There is a MS3 module that would work, but its pricey and does not have lambda included. RussEFI boards would be a good fit, but the documentation and support is a struggle.

I have complete replacement harnesses that do sequential fuel, coil-on-plug using the VAG 2.0T packs, and a breakout harness for the intake manifold so it can be pulled with all sensors still connected. I also have a dedicated MAP sensor holder, TPS adapter, and IAT mount for the 87+ cars.

The harness is currently pinned and mapped for the MaxxECU Race, and I have mounting bracket for it, as well as replacement CE connectors so everything plugs in on the chassis side with no permanent modification.

Pictures and such are in this thread here:
Aftermarket EFI installation bits - fuel fitting adapter and oil pressure/temperature sandwich
By Tony
Im ordering one of the Focus DMEs for my 944T. The next one up in price also has basic but very helpful OBD capabilities, very similar to the Sharktuner im that respect.
By maddog2020
the problem with buying a plug in, ecu is that you are still forced to batch fire the injectors, because of the harness. And that harness is 30 years old or more. So that means you will be stuck paying Porsche prices for a old style harness. There are many good ECU's out there and making a new harness with newer materials (AMP Superseal connectors & Raychem DR25 for the sheathing) will be a huge improvement to reliability.
Rear Brake line Seized

Induction heater. https://boltbusterinc.com/ […]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]

Refurbishing D90 Wheels

I "think" they are straight. […]

Okay, so I pulled the trigger on going with a Must[…]