8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By JBT3
My next big job to tackle is the intake refresh. I have all the bits from Roger.

@worf Is this your latest and greatest? I came across an old post on that other site that sounded like you were updating. http://www.928intl.com/repair/intake1b.pdf. Thanks.

I also found Dwayne’s version and also have the WSM. I just like lots of pics and to study up before I tackle a job.

Thanks all.

JT
1990 GT
By worf
That is the “latest” version. It’s still a good guide for removing the intake.

I would not call it a refresh guide though.

I deprioritized the time for updating my guide in light of Dwayne’s more-comprehensive version. Why
‘compete?’

In any case, I, or someone else here, can/will answer questions you might have.
By linderpat
Also, you simply cannot take enough pictures - of everything, each step of the way, and from every angle. You will understand this fully upon reassembly. Bag and tag extensively too. Otherwise, Dave's write up, and Dwayne's, and a few others from renny are all good sources.
JBT3 liked this
By MFranke
I would recommend Dwayne's guide, particularly if you are new to it. He has pictures for almost every step and sprinkles in tips along the way. Because there are many steps involved, I would also recommend creating your own photo log as you do the work. For many jobs, pictures of the as-found assembly can be very helpful before taking something apart. This is to record material condition, part orientation, how it goes together, and how it is adjusted.
Bertrand Daoust, JBT3 liked this
By Geza-aka-Zombo
If you're like me and try not to job things out, here's how I refinished mine myself. It's been 3+ years, maybe 5K miles and still looks like day one.

Geza-aka-Zombo @ Home Intake Refinish
By JBT3
Thanks all for the links and tips. I’m reading them all.

Does anyone have a Bosch Tool 000.721.926.60 that I could either rent or send you a deposit on? It’s hard to justify $85 for a tool that might not get used again for a very long time.
By JBT3
So intake is off and I’m working on removing the cam covers. Found this lovely sight when I went to remove the right side engine hook. :cussing: Going to try vice grips and a stubby screw driver to get it out and replace with a proper m8 hex head bolt.

I’m glad I did this job before MM and used this hook. Maybe it wouldn’t slip off and crush me. Maybe the other M8 would hold….maybe. Not a chance I want to take.
By WyattsRide
I'm pretty sure the engine hoist brackets have only 1 bolt each with the other hole over the pin as your picture shows.

The driver's side is tight but I you will probably have to reach from the top and blindly feel for the bolt.
JBT3 liked this
By JBT3
Thanks Rick! :beerchug: I must have misread the parts pdf. I saw quantity of 2 and thought someone had done a hack job on a bolt. I guess the two were for the left and fright engine hook. That’s a big time saver.
By worf
Rick is correct: one bolt, one locater pin per lift hook.

Driver’s side: from underneath, with head under suspension, run left arm around manifold with wrench, run right hand straight up to guide wrench to bolt.

It’s a blind, by feel job.
JBT3 liked this
By Charlie
A little late to the party here but I will say that I found Dwayne's instructions great but a little too detailed to follow easily. I mostly went by Dave's guide. One thing that was suggested by a few people was to add a pigtail extending the TPS connector by enough to get the harness connector out from under the intake. Lots of great tips and stories on RL for intake refreshes.

For refinishing, I recommend Cerakote Glacier (amibient temp cure). 4+ years now and still looks great.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]