8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By hernanca
If it does not exist already, or some related convention, I was wondering if we shouldn't start our own For Sale Thread?

(Edit: Looks like this is going to be a thing and @Sazerac came up with some excellent rules which will optimize the value of the thread, and that we can refine if needed:

1.) Each new car for sale should contain at least one uploaded picture directly in the post, so that when the links go dead the thread is useful still.
2.) Optionally, people should post the VIN number if available.
3.) Reference the car
3.a) When talking about a car, the posters should identify which car they are talking about like "White 90 S4"
(Edit: The following suggested rule is added as 3.b)
3.b) Person posting the new car for sale can optionally give it a nickname to help reference it!

)

If so, I would start with this one: what looks to be a genuine, if rough, Weissach on eBay:

(Edit: Adding VIN, wp0ja0921cs821719 )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204338314982?m ... name=11021
Last edited by hernanca on Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:49 pm, edited 9 times in total.
By linderpat
I'm ambivalent, since I still frequent the tech forums of TOS. I do like these kinds of threads though.
As to this Weissach, ouch on the body. might not be too easy to fix all of that.
By worf
I’m in. Just don’t expect lots of praise…

… based upon what I’ve seen on BaT, etc.

So… this one…

A low-compression US auto. 10 years ago you couldn’t have given it away.

What would it cost to make it work, be reliable, and presentable?

What would you have mid-5-figures later?

A low-compression US auto.
By hernanca
worf wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:41 pm

You said that 2x :tongue:

They do have "or best offer" as an option.

I can't help but believe the Weissach's are way undervalued today, and that will no longer be the case at some unknown future time. I am sure I am biased, however, since I love the color combination Porsche came up with for them in the 928.
By worf
hernanca wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:18 pm I can't help but believe the Weissach's are way undervalued today, and that will no longer be the case at some unknown future time. I am sure I am biased, however, since I love the color combination Porsche came up with for them in the 928.
Well… I think a low-mileage well-preserved class 1 or 2 Weissach might attract a collector. But, I don’t think we’re at the point where a (semi-)restored Weissach will be worth the effort. GT? GTS? Euro 5-speed? Maybe. Or at least almost.
linderpat, milrad, Gretch liked this
By hernanca
Another Weissach for sale, this time on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-porsche-928-56/

(Edit: Adding VIN:
WP0JA0921CS821784
)

In better shape on the top sides (bottom looks like it was sitting in mud) and it's a 5-speed. Just wish they had done the full multi-color Weissach seat treatment when they re-did the seats.
Last edited by hernanca on Tue May 23, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Geza-aka-Zombo
S3/S4 hybrid. Interesting.
By worf
JBT3 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:35 am https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 23331.html
The above ad-^ wrote: “We just topped
up oil, coolant, and jump started it to a healthy
Porsche ROAR! Nice weather is here. Won't last.”
So… it’s leaking oil and coolant. Won’t start unless it’s jumped and ROAR’s when started? So, there’s an exhaust leak too?

Did I miss anything?

Fine. I’ll just go out the back..
By linderpat
yikes, wouldn't touch the Frankencar :eek:
By N_Jay
linderpat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:30 am yikes, wouldn't touch the Frankencar :eek:
People have been updating and backdating Porsches forever.
linderpat liked this
By linderpat
yes, with the 911's that are rare, like long hoods, or RSR's, etc. I've not seen a good one with a 928 however. Especially since they've historically been cheap enough that there is no need to back date or update, when you can just get the body style you want for about the same money as most other years.
By N_Jay
linderpat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:44 am yes, with the 911's that are rare, like long hoods, or RSR's, etc. I've not seen a good one with a 928 however. Especially since they've historically been cheap enough that there is no need to back date or update, when you can just get the body style you want for about the same money as most other years.
Sometimes you work with what you have.

Look at 914's converted to 9145-6, or 75/76 cars with backdated bumpers.

Not everyone is a purist.
Last edited by N_Jay on Mon May 22, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By worf
linderpat wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:30 am yikes, wouldn't touch the Frankencar :eek:
Reference?
By Sazerac
I don't mean to be the PITA here, but we are already off to a bad start with this thread. First of all, the thread is a question not the new "for sale thread" itself. However, the question is a good one, and I had thought the same thing myself.

My problem with the thread on TOS is that it is a mess. So, I stopped looking at it. I would love to see a similar thread here and would contribute, but ONLY IF the OP of such a thread spells some rules out. Those should be (and this part is really up for debate now):
1.) Each new car for sale should contain at least one uploaded picture directly in the post, so that when the links go dead the thread is useful still.
2.) Optionally, people should post the VIN number if available.
3.) When talking about a car, the posters should identify which car they are talking about like "White 90 S4"

If we would just keep to some simple rules it could be interesting and highly useful. (Similar to the rules of the picture thread: "Post a picture or shut up."

EDIT: I would be happy to start such thread with rules and complain about rule-breakers, if so nominated.... :joy:
hernanca, worf, Gary Knox liked this
By worf
Or Carlos could remove two characters from his thread title…

… and we can kick the rules around.

But, I like your proposed rules @Sazerac
By linderpat
Thread drift is a fact of internet forum life, and all the rules in the world won't fix it. Still worth a try I suppose. I will say that the for sale thread on TOS is still mostly useful and enjoyable, for me at least. It does drift off from time to time, but it typically comes back into focus. Another example is my Most Beautiful Car thread on TOS, it has drifted far from the original premise, but like the meandering Mississippi, it is fun to float along in and watch.
By hernanca
I like the proposed rules as well and am good with either approach (@Sazerac creating a new thread or me modifying this one to remove the "?" and add the rules to the top with credit to @Sazerac ). Those rules address my frustrations as well with TOS's thread.

@worf what's the second character I need to delete?
By worf
hernanca wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:14 am @worf what's the second character I need to delete?
apostrophe

and the “S” the follows should be “s”

:hiding:
By worf
linderpat wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:06 am Thread drift is a fact of internet forum life, and all the rules in the world won't fix it. Still worth a try I suppose. I will say that the for sale thread on TOS is still mostly useful and enjoyable, for me at least. It does drift off from time to time, but it typically comes back into focus. Another example is my Most Beautiful Car thread on TOS, it has drifted far from the original premise, but like the meandering Mississippi, it is fun to float along in and watch.
My “enforcement” activities on the TOS 928 Picture thread were quite effective I think.

The proposed rules won’t prevent thread drift. Drift is fine.

But they will point out to folks that posts of the form “That’s a great 928” with no referent will be targets of deserved ridicule.
linderpat liked this
By hernanca
worf wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:46 am
hernanca wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:14 am @worf what's the second character I need to delete?
apostrophe

and the “S” the follows should be “s”

:hiding:
Always hated that rule... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Edit: Yeah, well, I did those title edits, but, at least my on my phone display, the title remains All Caps so it looks like we are only talking about 928Ss! :cussing:

Edit 2: Ok, I fixed it. Just a little duct tape and spit. Works like a champ! :roflmao:

If @Sazerac is OK with it, I will add his initial set of rules to the first post and we can tweak as needed.

Edit 3: Removed Duct Tape (spit has dried).
Added initial rules in red font.
@worf feel free to clean up (delete) the title back-n-forth noise.
Last edited by hernanca on Tue May 23, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By worf
@fpena944 Boss? We need lower case available in thread titles unless you like thread titles like this one.

Edit: WTF… the cApiTalization outcome iS wAcky. It’s a ‘s’ on the forum page but all-caps-up’d for everything else.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:18 am @fpena944 Boss? We need lower case available in thread titles unless you like thread titles like this one.

Edit: WTF… the cApiTalization outcome iS wAcky. It’s a ‘s’ on the forum page but all-caps-up’d for everything else.
Oh wow never noticed that one.

But it only shows that on the main title as within the reply you see the small letter as intended:
image.png
Let me see if I can get in touch with my developer from months ago. Should be a simple fix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By hernanca
Indeed WaCkY. It looks like the capitalization is retained in the important places (unless the Boss just changed it): both mobile and desktop mode retain the lower cases in the 928 forum page:
Image :roflmao:
By fpena944
hernanca wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:10 am Indeed WaCkY. It looks like the capitalization is retained in the important places (unless the Boss just changed it): both mobile and desktop mode retain the lower cases in the 928 forum page:
Image :roflmao:
Ok you should be seeing titles now as they are typed originally!

Now in my case I couldn't get it to display on my "regular" browser session because I think the setting is cached. But when I went into an incognito session I saw the changes there so eventually they should show up for everyone.

Enjoy!
worf, hernanca liked this
By hernanca
Purple People Eater <-- nickname for reference

Well, this one just sold on BaT today, and I only became aware of it today, but I just thought it was one of the coolest 928's I have seen in a while.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987- ... 28-s4-127/

Someone got a deal at $28K just because of how well preserved it seemed. Had sold for $19,700 in 2020.

Diamond Blue Metallic with "panel job" style pinstripes.
VIN = WP0JB0927HS862036
By Erik N
My green one is still kind of for sale. Car is garaged in San Antonio.
In a nutshell, it is 1978 #0941 5sp, it has an '81 euro engine, koni's, hypercoils, S4 brakes, 17" cup 1's, Devek short shifter, solid rack mounts, some other goodies, I forget.

I have owned it for 20+ years. The odometer pic is current (it's metric) so the miles are about 81,500.

Here's a copy of an old email to a potential interested party a year ago:

I do not have the original engine, wheels or steering wheel. You will like the momo wheel/shifter knob though, guaranteed.

I do have the original cork carpets, a bunch of promo materials, and a binder full of all receipts, a few of which were from Canada before I bought the car. One is even for a new fuel tank, not sure why they needed that!

There was a pic floating around Rlist of the car on its side on a tilter, I spent the better part of a year working on it a few days a month. I know you will want the mileage when that happened, I forget but it's obviously in that binder. I'll have my kid take a look. Let's guess 20K miles ago (probably less). From memory, this is what I did to the car when I swapped the engines:
-Euro engine swap w/ correct flywheel. I think I swapped the dampener as well, I forget.
-TB/WP. I don't know the brand.
-F/R seals
-new wiring harness built using some existing, some new German connectors
-fuel lines
-new clutch disks, bearing, maybe the plate as well.
-Chevy alternator conversion
-dynamat the firewall
-Brake master rebuild, slave cylinder and blue hose.
-new green wire
-MM's. I forget which kind but Sean Ratt said they were the good ones. He had the car over at his shop a few years back for something (I forget what, but it cost $5K LOL), he verified this.
-'84 factory headers, stainless nuts. a bit of a

I will remember more as my brain permits.

Improvements to the car:
-S4 rotors, calipers etc. New brake lines (factory rubber ones)
-Koni adjustable coilovers w/ hypercoil (medium weight?) springs. Lowered the car about 1".
-928 MS solid aluminum rack mounts
-Devek short shifter
-Top quality bronze tinted glass. Some 928's came w/ a factory greenish tint, some with the factory bronze which I like better so I got lucky.

Pro's- Body is pretty good. One small dent on passenger door, one paint chip on driver's door. Some solvent pop on driver's front fender top rear corner, no broken panit there. There is some paint chipping off on the leading edge of the hood where it touches the rubber/plastic seal. All in all it is very presentable and looks great IMO, unless it's parked to J Wises's car in which case it looks old LOL. The thing could use a decent polishing, it's been years. I remember there is a dent in the center of the hood, rear edge by the windshield. The car was under a cover in my garage and my wife put her horse saddle on the hood, and a stirrup dented the aluminum there. It would be a tough place to "dentless" repair because it is right over the internal brace of the hood there. PS my wife disavows this story entirely, saying she "has no idea" how it happened. But that is another story.

One of the 8" headlights has some corrosion inside. The other is fine. I got those off the donor car.

The radiator has a small leak passenger side top where the tank attaches. Not bad enough to ever get my attention, I would just add coolant/distilled H20 on long, hot trips. I do have a spare used radiator for it, never tested but it is the proper one for the car (there were several renditions, early manual ones w/ engine oil cooler is a little hard to find- but I got one. I would have the tanks re-sealed for sure before installing)

Aftermarket CD player on the shelf has power but won't load the CD (5-cd holder w/ a spare holder)

AC is stock. Never even looked at it. I did run a blue-colored wire from the clutch to a cigarette lighter socket to test it, the clutch does engage when you plug it in and it does work. I think there is a microswitch in the dash that controls it- it's not a big job I just never did it. I did add some oil and put new o-rings in when I had the system open though, when swapping the motor.

Air pump shredded the belt on the way to Spokane. It has a bypass belt on. Pump turns but is stiff.

It will need a fuel accumulator back in the RR fender- it started to leak on a long trip out of the top of it. Roadside fix w/ JB weld (yes, ghetto.)

Re: the fuse panel- I cleaned all the contacts a few years back and put dialectic grease on the fuses... turns out that might not have been the wisest thing to do because the grease is supposed to protect from water, but it's not not to ensure contact. I would probably spend an hour or 2 with a Q-tip and solvent to clean them. Never had an issue, just as a preventative. Also, the #22 (fuel pump fuse) gets hot and has actually discolored the white plastic panel a bit- every once in a while the car will quit and I would just rotate the fuse in place and listen for the pump to run. Actually I do that everytime I turn the key, I listen for the pump to fire up pressure. Then she starts on the first crank, even after sitting for years.

Also, regarding the key, after you start the car make sure you twist it back a bit to the normal run position. Sometimes it will not return 100% from the starter engage, and then things like the headlights or windows are not powered. Not a big deal, justy something to be aware of. I have a spare key for it. If you have ever tried to get one, there is literally one place in the world to get it, and it's in Australia. So, you have a nice condition main key and a replacement one too (it is hidden in the front grille somewhere, driver's side).

We talked about the pumpkin. That should probably just be replaced with a 928 Intl used unit and be done with it.

I have some leftover green paint in it's gallon can, never added catalyst. Brand was called "Omni"-something, I forget. Not sure if it's any good now, probably not but who knows.

It has a later model red spare (the silver steel ones won't fit the larger brakes), an air compressor and a decent tool kit w/ ratchet flex wrenches, etc. in the back. Again, I still have all the original carpets (I have black Lloyds in there now) for it in good shape. I bought the car with less than 40K miles on it.

The chrome on the rims is peeling. Careful when you wash them because you could actually cut your finger on some of it. One of the front rims leaks air slowly under the chrome itself, need to put air in it every week or so if driving regularly. The staggered setup wants 36psi front, 34 psi rear.

I could have my kid mail you the binder if you want. There is a pretty good history in there, with miles written in. But, if you add up the receipts, don't ever tell me what the sum is because I don't want to know.

If I were you, I would put new tires on it and drive it home. Yes, there is no AC, and occasionally you'll top off the coolant, and watch the #22 fuse. But the car has literally never let me down, and I have made several 2000+ mile trips in it. She will do 155mph across the desert with a full load of camping gear and slide her sweet ass up a tight mountain road. She will scrub speed like nobody's business when you need her to, and then come out of a drift and catch your butt like a mother teaching her kid how to ride a bike. And she'll look like a queen doing so. I am literally tearing up writing this.

Price? I have no idea. You know how 928's are, they are all over the place. I will say, however that I promised myself that if I ever sold it it would be to a fellow 928'er who is familiar with them... it is a 45 year old car after all. Sounds like you could be the guy.

So, shoot me a number. If it is too little then we'll talk, if it is too much then we'll talk as well. I am not a greedy guy.

PS, re the title, you would just need to have a cop verify the VIN. I would do it here biut the car is obviously 1800 miles away. I think it is a non-issue, however.

Hello again I was just going through my emails and found this one.

Since we talked, I have registered the car in Montana. I had a cop verify the numbers remotely, everything is squared up now.
The new (Montana permanent) plate reads "EZ APEX" and the car has a matching, correct Montana title.

It is still kind of for sale, because I have no garage up here to store it. And the wife talks occasionally about selling the TX house, so then I will not have a safe place to put it.

Also, I have a new phone #. (406) 899-5080. Leave a message if you need, still bad reception at my house. Thanks!
928 Nelson Rd.jpg
928 odometer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Erik N on Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hernanca liked this
By Erik N
more pics
20170717_143537.jpg
703782858001.jpg
20170711_130627.jpg
hernanca liked this
By Erik N
More again
20170626_182026.jpg
20170530_125106_Burst01.jpg
20170626_181917.jpg
hernanca liked this
By hernanca
Erik, your EZ Apex/Green Machine sounds like a solid car. Thank you for posting it.

Forgive my not knowing, and I see that you have done a ton of upgrades, but what year is it?

GLWS, though it sounds like it will be tough for you to see it go!
By Erik N
It's a '78, VIN 9288200941. It has an '81 Euro CIS 4.7 engine swapped into it.
So basically, it is a lightweight non-computerized car with a great powerband. It really "comes on the pipe" at 3300RPM... MUCH different that the other engines I have driven... feels like more HP and less torque. Also the transaxle has a pretty stiff differential (40% IIRC) so the car is easy to steer with the throttle.

I am the second owner. It was originally sold in Toronto to a doctor, who owned it for around 20years (he only put 35K miles on it IIRC). He then traded it in for a Lexus, and the guy who sold him the Lexus was the same guy who sold him the 928 years earlier. It then went to action, and I bought it. I had just finished a job, and had a $7000 check in hand. All my work expenses were already paid, so I offered the $7K and they accepted it. That was in 1998 I think, the rest is history.

I have had a ton of great times in that car... the stories we could tell.

Here's a pic of me driving it on a 2000 mile roadtrip from TX to WA, it ended up there under an old partner of mines best friend's son's yard for a year under some blankets and a tarp, only to be retrieved 15 months later after I moved to Idaho. That was in 2017.
It fired on the first crank. Always has.
20170716_200914.jpg
20170716_150408.jpg
20170717_185754.jpg
hernanca liked this
By hernanca
(Edit: A re-listing of...) The rough Weissach #53 that I started this thread with has its price lowered to $9999 or best offer and is ending today:

VIN wp0ja0921cs821719

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204367680561?m ... &recoPos=1
By worf
Can someone explain why just about every single 928 on BaT comes with the engine air filter upside down?

Seriously. *Both* GTSs on BaT right now have the air filter installed upside down.

FFS. It’s actually much harder to install it upside down than right side up. :rtfm:
By Ed Scherer
I posted this photo a long time ago on RL. One of the reasons that people might be confused about air filter orientation. :smile:

By worf
Factory-installed air filter:

Ed Scherer liked this
By hernanca
And up until NOW, I remained confused because I kept hearing "hump to the sky" with a picture of a wrongly INSTALLED filter where all you see is the little "hump"/tab on the outside, which to me appears to be pointing to the sky. Now I understand of WHICH HUMP though speaketh!

Ed, I remember that thread but not the discussion details. Yeah, those arrows are confusing. Don't know what they represent, but an airflow arrow would point opposite of an arrow indicating top.

Current BaT Black 94 GTS WP0AA2925RS820173 with wrong install:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994- ... 28-gts-37/
By worf
This is the seminal air filter thread from 2005:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/2 ... stion.html
By worf
I just bumped that thread on TOS.

I’ll make a mental bet we get a few folks that will argue vociferously that upside down is upside right. And I have a thought as to who just might.
Last edited by worf on Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By linderpat
yes, hump up is the way to remember. The arrows are meaningless, and most don't have that stamp on top like the example above.
By hernanca
hernanca wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:01 pm (Edit: A re-listing of...) The rough Weissach #53 that I started this thread with has its price lowered to $9999 or best offer and is ending today:

VIN wp0ja0921cs821719
It's back, at $9500 OBO starting bid:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204401167584?h ... R4Tfo42vYg
By linderpat
hessank wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:51 am Isn't that the car Dinsdale built?

TOS: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/8 ... tarts.html
Yes, that's the Dinsdale car. Dinsdale also built Tony's Just Peachy. He does an over the top professional job. You'd swear the alternative motor was born with the car.
By CrustyWeissach
Euro S1 Arvada CO

GEARBOX- 5-speed manual
This 928 is a gray list originally purchased in Stuttgart, Germany at the Porsche factory(this model wasn't available in the U.S. until 1983), and was driven on the Autobahn before being imported by the owner. The car is mostly original with the exception of paint and the BBS rims. The paint has started to flake in some areas and the interior seat covers are torn. The car runs and drives like a champ and has a clean and in hand title. My only reason for selling is lack of time to make it the show car it should be.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner
Last edited by CrustyWeissach on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hernanca liked this
By CrustyWeissach
Euro S2 - Maine

I have examined this car if anyone is interested or wants pricing insight

1985 Porsche 928 · Coupe · Driven 141,000 miles

WP0ZZZ92ZFS841899

1985 Porsche Euro 928S. All gauges are metric. 4.7L, 5 speed. Runs and drives great! Brakes work. Sounds awesome! Not a perfect show car, but with a little work it could be. Rear passenger tail light is broken, passenger side door molding is missing, dents in drivers side rear quarter panel. Slight oil leak, slight fuel leak from return line. Will need new fuel level sending unit. All kinds of paperwork ( owners manuals and service records back to '85 ), and the original set of wheels. Located in Maine, USA. $15,000 obro

1985 Euro S 5-speed
C00 - German market
M28.21 - engine serial # range 82F 00001 >05000
G28.10 - transmission serial # range 11F 00001>05000
Interior code LA
S2- Garnet red metallic
QC2- Standard seats without heating in Greyish green, full leather
8JK- greyish green carpet

M058 - "Impact absorbers front and rear, Bumper with shock absorber instead of
shock absorber-tube"
M261 - Outside mirror - plain-passenger's side, electrically adjustable and heatable
I319 - Changed set-up of fan (additional engine cooling for hot climate countries) - 86 mm pulley instead of 106 mm
I330 - Blaupunkt Atlanta SQR 23
I415 - Widening of the gauge on the track on the rear axle
I490 - Hi-Fi sound system ( 8 speakers, balance control, 1980-86.5) ("Equipment Group IV")
M533 - Alarm
I567 - Windshield tinted, upper part
I593 - Antilock brake system (Bosch)

Last edited by CrustyWeissach on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
hernanca liked this
By hernanca
Thank you for the two entries, Crusty.

Please provide VIN numbers if you have them and feel free to give them fairly unique nicknames for easier reference downstream. ("Euro S2 - Maine" works for the second one).
By hernanca
CrustyWeissach wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:51 am Adjusted!
Excellent!

Your car, Euro S1 Arvada CO, is a very nice example and color combo with what looks like original black/blue Pascha! Did not see a VIN for it however!
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]