SUVs and sedans
By fpena944
Got this code on my 2011 Cayenne Turbo and unfortunately there seems to be very little about this code and how to fix it available online.

No symptoms on the car except for the check engine light being lit. I cleared it a couple of times but it pops back up pretty quickly.

Now this is where I'm confused. At first I was thinking maybe I need to replace the thermostat, but when I look at that there is no electrical connection on the unit so if there is a "heater" it doesn't appear to have any wiring associated with it.

My father was doing some diagnosing and did find a sensor beneath the intake plenum going into one of the coolant lines that appeared to be corroded and the wiring frayed. But when I go to look for this unknown part within the online parts catalogs I can't find it and not sure if that is the part that might need replacing.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? I'm shocked there is so little information online about it. I found one thread on RennTech but in that case the Cayenne was overheating. In my case it's driving just fine.

Anyone ever seen something like this before?
By fpena944
Well it seems I forgot to close the loop here but we did find the problem and fixed it!

The issue was that the electrical connector from the wiring harness to the thermostat was brittle and the wiring was frayed. I tried looking for a replacement from Porsche but they only want to sell the entire harness. I tried looking for it on eBay but it's really hard to describe exactly what I needed so I went to this site:

https://findpigtails.com/

There I jumped on the chat and told them exactly what I needed. Miraculously the agent came back in seconds and recommended the exact part I needed. It came in and we installed it without incident and the problem is fixed!

It's a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay but the convenience and making sure the part was a perfect fit was worth the cost.

Problem solved! :rockon:
By Scott at Team Harco
#17? Go up (back) to view other parts diagrams. AA does a good job of capturing Porsche parts diagrams.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-part ... ion=105-05
By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:14 pm #17? Go up (back) to view other parts diagrams. AA does a good job of capturing Porsche parts diagrams.

Well the good news is that you identified exactly the part that we thought was a heater. But it ended up just being a temp sensor.

I don't think if this is going bad it would create that code, do you agree?

So if this isn't the part then where is a "thermostat heater" even located? Does such a thing exist?
By Scott at Team Harco
fpena944 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:20 pm
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:14 pm #17? Go up (back) to view other parts diagrams. AA does a good job of capturing Porsche parts diagrams.

Well the good news is that you identified exactly the part that we thought was a heater. But it ended up just being a temp sensor.

So if this isn't the part then where is a "thermostat heater" even located? Does such a thing exist?
Generic code descriptions don't always make sense. I would investigate the wiring first. Once that is made/ confirmed satisfactory, and the fault returns, consider replacing the sensor. You'll likely need the clip, if it's not metal.
By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:29 pm

Generic code descriptions don't always make sense. I would investigate the wiring first. Once that is made/ confirmed satisfactory, and the fault returns, consider replacing the sensor. You'll likely need the clip, if it's not metal.
I think we figured it out. The temperature sensor needs replacing along with the wire leading to it and the plug. Figured while we're there we might as we replace the thermostat as well.

My impression is that this "heater" is actually built into the thermostat. Yeah these generic codes are no fun at all.
By Scott at Team Harco
fpena944 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:51 pm

I think we figured it out. The temperature sensor needs replacing along with the wire leading to it and the plug. Figured while we're there we might as we replace the thermostat as well.

My impression is that this "heater" is actually built into the thermostat. Yeah these generic codes are no fun at all.
Possible translation issue, related to 'heater'. I would advise replacing all o-rings and non-metallic clips on the parts you plan to disassemble. Heat takes a toll on the life-cycle of these parts.
By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 am
fpena944 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:51 pm

Possible translation issue, related to 'heater'. I would advise replacing all o-rings and non-metallic clips on the parts you plan to disassemble. Heat takes a toll on the life-cycle of these parts.
That's the plan. Thankfully the parts we ordered include these components.

Will provide an update when we get around to fixing it whether it made a difference or not.
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
Well it seems I forgot to close the loop here but we did find the problem and fixed it!

The issue was that the electrical connector from the wiring harness to the thermostat was brittle and the wiring was frayed. I tried looking for a replacement from Porsche but they only want to sell the entire harness. I tried looking for it on eBay but it's really hard to describe exactly what I needed so I went to this site:

https://findpigtails.com/

There I jumped on the chat and told them exactly what I needed. Miraculously the agent came back in seconds and recommended the exact part I needed. It came in and we installed it without incident and the problem is fixed!

It's a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay but the convenience and making sure the part was a perfect fit was worth the cost.

Problem solved! :rockon:
Scott at Team Harco, amdavid, XR4Tim and 1 others liked this
By fpena944
XR4Tim wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:36 am That's a nice website! The last couple of connectors I needed took a lot of research to find.
Next time try the online chat as I got tired or searching so I just had them do it for me.

My only gripe with them is price as I know these connectors are inexpensive to produce but when you need one it's worth the investment for the sake of finishing the job.
By XR4Tim
fpena944 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:09 am
XR4Tim wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:36 am That's a nice website! The last couple of connectors I needed took a lot of research to find.
Next time try the online chat as I got tired or searching so I just had them do it for me.

My only gripe with them is price as I know these connectors are inexpensive to produce but when you need one it's worth the investment for the sake of finishing the job.
Yeah, the good thing about the connectors I was able to find was that they were cheap. I found ignition coil connectors for the Dart and throttle position sensor connectors for the Alfa 164 through a connector supplier for only about $3.00 each. They have a minimum order quantity of 10 pieces, so I've got lots of extras left over, but total cost was still low.
By fpena944
XR4Tim wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:44 pm
fpena944 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:09 am

Yeah, the good thing about the connectors I was able to find was that they were cheap. I found ignition coil connectors for the Dart and throttle position sensor connectors for the Alfa 164 through a connector supplier for only about $3.00 each. They have a minimum order quantity of 10 pieces, so I've got lots of extras left over, but total cost was still low.
Oh wow that was a great deal for you then. You got 10 for less than half of what I paid for one.

But I guess that's life with the Porsche tax and the relative rarity of the parts in comparison to other makes.
By amdavid
fpena944 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:57 pm Got this code on my 2011 Cayenne Turbo and unfortunately there seems to be very little about this code and how to fix it available online.

No symptoms on the car except for the check engine light being lit. I cleared it a couple of times but it pops back up pretty quickly.

Now this is where I'm confused. At first I was thinking maybe I need to replace the thermostat, but when I look at that there is no electrical connection on the unit so if there is a "heater" it doesn't appear to have any wiring associated with it.

My father was doing some diagnosing and did find a sensor beneath the intake plenum going into one of the coolant lines that appeared to be corroded and the wiring frayed. But when I go to look for this unknown part within the online parts catalogs I can't find it and not sure if that is the part that might need replacing.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? I'm shocked there is so little information online about it. I found one thread on RennTech but in that case the Cayenne was overheating. In my case it's driving just fine.

Okay, my turn.......

2011 Cayenne S..........cel P0068. I can't find a definitive on this one.

We are fixing it to sell, and it has really cost us of late. 1100.00 for a new drive shaft installed, then we had the problem with the hazards going off when you'd lock the car (Let me know if you need info on how to fix this one), which set us back another 600 and now the cel.....I'm miffed over Cayenne bs again. Once it IS fixed I sure hope getting the readiness monitors are easier than on the last 06S....that was a nightmare and took about 3 months to get that shit cleared.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:20 pm
fpena944 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:57 pm Got this code on my 2011 Cayenne Turbo and unfortunately there seems to be very little about this code and how to fix it available online.

Okay, my turn.......

2011 Cayenne S..........cel P0068. I can't find a definitive on this one.

We are fixing it to sell, and it has really cost us of late. 1100.00 for a new drive shaft installed, then we had the problem with the hazards going off when you'd lock the car (Let me know if you need info on how to fix this one), which set us back another 600 and now the cel.....I'm miffed over Cayenne bs again. Once it IS fixed I sure hope getting the readiness monitors are easier than on the last 06S....that was a nightmare and took about 3 months to get that shit cleared.
I get the following when I looked it up:

Porsche P0068 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Mass Air Flow Sensor – Throttle Position Correlation

I'm thinking maybe a vacuum leak is one of the first things to look for?
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]