General discussions related to cars and driving
By David993S
I haven't had to have any major parts replacement on my 993 other than routine maintenance stuff like oil/filter changes. For those of you that have had to replace some major component, are you finding the cost of factory parts has gone up significantly?

I'm asking just to make a comparison between two makes. In a couple of weeks, I'm having some major work done on my Ferrari, and I am astounded at the cost of OEM parts, some of which are not even available as aftermarket. When I was talking to the (independent) Ferrari tech that has serviced my 360 for many years, he was telling me that OEM Ferrari parts have more than doubled in the last year. And that's on top of what was already outrageous costs for factory parts. They've always been high, but I'm embarrassed to tell you guys (you'd say I'm insane) what a new clutch (disc, PP, TOB) costs, and you would shit at the cost of a new A/C compressor, and my car needs both, along with whatever else comes up "while he's in there". An A/C compressor is not available in the aftermarket, and my tech tells me he has not had good luck with compressors from the only place he found that says they rebuild them. There is an aftermarket clutch disc, but it's Kevlar and all reports are that it's very grabby. OK for a race car, but not what I want in my street car. I've put a clutch, PP, TBO, etc.) in this car before but the cost this time is just insane.
So I'm stuck paying for OEM parts.

Enough of my bitching and moaning. What about the cost of Porsche parts?
By SeanR
Yes, the costs of parts from Porsche have increased exponentially in the last two years. It's crazy. Parts a few years back I was buying for $150-$200 are now $700+. Two weeks ago Porsche had a 20% increase on most everything.
By TheDeckMan
Eventually the continued rise in part prices opens the door for some aftermarket to make the investment in making better parts at the same price or copies at a cheaper price/more available.
By David993S
^^ Agreed. Wish it would happen soon.

Another Ferrari parts story: Probably 10 years ago I had to replace a small aluminum rectangular cover on the bottom of the engine case on the 360. Has a raised machined lip, says "Olio" on it. Very cute. It's a dry sump car, but it has a drain plug for getting out the last bit of oil. It's only about 5" long & 3" wide with 10 bolt holes. The threads on the plate are easily cross threaded and stripped (steel drain plug into aluminum threads). The Ferrari OEM part was $980. Ricambi makes an identical reproduction in aluminum but without the "Olio" script for............$99. Guess which one I went with? :wink:

On the back of my workbench, I have the old one mounted with a label the reads "The $1000 Ferrari part". :lol2:
Last edited by David993S on Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDeckMan liked this
By David993S
SeanR wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:40 pm Yes, the costs of parts from Porsche have increased exponentially in the last two years. It's crazy. Parts a few years back I was buying for $150-$200 are now $700+. Two weeks ago Porsche had a 20% increase on most everything.
Jeez Louise. I had no idea Porsche parts had gone up that much too. Unbelievable.
By fpena944
I was pleasantly surprised the other day by the reasonable cost of a genuine Porsche part.

The windshield washer fluid reservoir filler neck on my Cayenne broke so I ordered a new one and it cost me $18!!!

I hardly ever leave the dealer without at least $100 going out of pocket.
David993S, TheDeckMan liked this
By TheDeckMan
David993S wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:49 pm ^^ Agreed. Wish it would happen soon.

Another Ferrari parts story: Probably 10 years ago I had to replace a small aluminum rectangular cover on the bottom of the engine case on the 360. Has a raised machined lip, says "Olio" on it. Very cute. It's a dry sump car, but it has a drain plug for getting out the last bit of oil. It's only about 5" long & 3" wide with 10 bolt holes. The threads on the plate are easily cross threaded and stripped (steel drain plug into aluminum threads). The Ferrari OEM part was $980. Ricambi makes an identical reproduction in aluminum but without the "Olio" script for............$99. Guess which one I went with? :wink:

On the back of my workbench, I have the old one mounted with a label the reads "The $1000 Ferrari part". :lol2:

Reminds me of helping a buddy with his 308, needed a fuel pump and he got a new Ferrari one that was dead so I found a new one from my old Ford F350 460ci and fired right up! $10 Ford part fixed the Ferrari :hiding:
By linderpat
TheDeckMan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:16 pm
Reminds me of helping a buddy with his 308, needed a fuel pump and he got a new Ferrari one that was dead so I found a new one from my old Ford F350 460ci and fired right up! $10 Ford part fixed the Ferrari :hiding:
Ford vs Ferrari! Ford FTW :beerchug:
TheDeckMan liked this
By fpena944
Well I picked up my $18 and to my joy the local Porsche dealer had some eye candy on the showroom floor:

amdavid, XR4Tim liked this
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:12 pm Well I picked up my $18 and to my joy the local Porsche dealer had some eye candy on the showroom floor:

They do have some nice toys on their showroom.

Test drove the Macan there, but didn't have the balls to ask to sit in any of the display cars.
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:16 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:12 pm Well I picked up my $18 and to my joy the local Porsche dealer had some eye candy on the showroom floor:

They do have some nice toys on their showroom.

Test drove the Macan there, but didn't have the balls to ask to sit in any of the display cars.
Last time I was there the salesperson saw us pull up in our CTT and was itching to get us to test drive the Cayenne Turbo GT that was there.

But with a sticker of around $215k we politely declined. Plus even if it was in the budget wife prefers the square back of the traditional SUV than the coupe look.
By David993S
I bet the windshield washer fluid reservoir filler neck for that 917 is more than $18.........probably like $21.
By N_Jay
David993S wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:45 pm I bet the windshield washer fluid reservoir filler neck for that 917 is more than $18.........probably like $21.
Hard to say, back in the day, Porsche was famous for not adjusting parts prices of things that didn't move.
Often a 914 part was cheaper than the same part under a 411/412 part number.
The windshield washer fluid reservoir for a 917 might be a 101 Bug part priced in 1972 dollars.
Last edited by N_Jay on Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Scott at Team Harco
David993S wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:45 pm I bet the windshield washer fluid reservoir filler neck for that 917 is more than $18.........probably like $21.
Did you just assume there was a washer fluid reservoir on the 917? An extra 1.236 kg of useless weight?

Hearing things like this make me really glad I wen[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

no it doesn't Right, so the Shelby Do[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]