Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
Aircooled 911s
By David993S
The clear film on the front of the rear fenders on my 993S has gotten cloudy. It's the original factory film, so it's 26 years old now. I used some liquid wax on it, first gently rubbing by hand, then using my random orbital buffer with a microfiber cloth. It seems to look better by hand. I've cleared it up about 80%, but it's still not like when new. :banghead:

Is there any product or method that will get it clear again? Or is it a lost cause due to age? If I wasn't scared of taking off the paint, I would have it removed, but I'd rather keep it original.

Thanks.
By N_Jay
You should be able to replace it.

Usually the film yellows long before it becomes cloudy.

If I was going to try anything, I would use a plastic restorer, like an aquarium polish or headlight polish.
By David993S
Thanks. Replacing it can be problematic. It hasn't yellowed, but it appears there may be some cracking starting. I've read quite a number of stories about how old film can take off the paint. However, you reminded me the I have some plastic restorer that I used on the plastic rear window of my Alfa convertible top. I'll give that a try.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.
By fpena944
@David993S - I had the same type of film on the rear fenders of my 944 S2 and the same happened. It started to yellow and eventually cracked.

I was able to take small pieces of it off with a plastic "blade" but it would have taken forever for me to do it. I also got to the point of purchasing a rubber eraser tool (like this one: https://amzn.to/3MMZILV) that attaches to a drill but chickened out when thinking about how I can potentially burn the paint.

Eventually I ended up taking it to a body shop and they got it done in a few hours. Given how pristine your car is, if you have any trouble removing it I'd probably opt for having the pros take care of it.
By David993S
fpena944 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:09 pm @David993S - I had the same type of film on the rear fenders of my 944 S2 and the same happened. It started to yellow and eventually cracked.

I was able to take small pieces of it off with a plastic "blade" but it would have taken forever for me to do it. I also got to the point of purchasing a rubber eraser tool (like this one: https://amzn.to/3MMZILV) that attaches to a drill but chickened out when thinking about how I can potentially burn the paint.

Eventually I ended up taking it to a body shop and they got it done in a few hours. Given how pristine your car is, if you have any trouble removing it I'd probably opt for having the pros take care of it.
I've spent all afternoon on this stupid project. I've tried the convertible top plastic rear window stuff........notta. I tried Meguiar's Swirl-X (swirl remover).........notta. Even tried a little patch with Race Glaze Leveling Compound..........big notta, made it worse :nono: . I got them to the point of looking about 90% and given their age, I suspect that's a good as it will get. I just used my orbital buffer putting wax on/wax off, grasshopper.

Clear film back in '97 was not as good as it is today. So I may decide to have a pro remove it and replace it with a modern product like Xpel. Still just very concerned about it taking paint off with it. I'd rather have slightly cloudy film than to have to repaint quarter panels since the car is 100% original paint.

If anyone has a miracle cure, please post it.
Cheers.

P.S. That car on the right in your signature looks familiar. :wink:
By N_Jay
Plastic scraper, decal remover - Adhesive solvent, and rubber buffing wheel.

Or pay someone to use them for you.
Cayenne vs panamera (hybrid)

Had the car extensively detailed, polished and cer[…]

:thumbup: :rockon: :burnout:

Rear Brake line Seized

My auto-shop teacher would slap the back of your h[…]

New Yokohama tires now available in 16"

It's not just Porsche with the MFR specific tire d[…]