Forum layout is now fixed. If it hasn't reverted back to original form for you, delete your browser cache and you should see it fixed.
Four cylinder transaxle cars
By ChrisZ
Spent some time this weekend working on the front end suspension for the 944S. First problem was a clunk on the passenger side when hitting bumps, went away with brakes applied, turned out to be the caliper bolts were loose. Not sure what happened there, maybe I didn't torque them down last time I replaced the rotors (years ago).

While there I finally bit the bullet and pulled the front swaybar (I have the M030 suspension on the S). The passenger side bushing had gone bad due to the power steering blowing up 30 years ago (1994 I think) and I never replaced it so one bushing was always missing. Took off the bolts (surprisingly not rusted or anything) pulled off the old bushing, slid on two new ones, cleaned everything up, and re-mounted.

Positive side I did not need to have the car up on jacks to remove it, or install it.

Took it out this evening and man, the car rides like it is on a RAIL! Corners so much better I forgot how good this car was, much tighter and happier. The steering wheel shake at 70mph is still there but lessened (I'm assuming the bar was contributing to the vibration). Not sure what that is, could be flat spots on the tires from when it sat for years.

Next up, rebuild the injectors, then figure out how to glue the separation that started on the rear hatch. It's a good car, and I really am amazed at how well it handles and drives....

Also what's up with tires, can the P6000's still be gotten?
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
ChrisZ wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:24 pm Spent some time this weekend working on the front end suspension for the 944S. First problem was a clunk on the passenger side when hitting bumps, went away with brakes applied, turned out to be the caliper bolts were loose. Not sure what happened there, maybe I didn't torque them down last time I replaced the rotors (years ago).

While there I finally bit the bullet and pulled the front swaybar (I have the M030 suspension on the S). The passenger side bushing had gone bad due to the power steering blowing up 30 years ago (1994 I think) and I never replaced it so one bushing was always missing. Took off the bolts (surprisingly not rusted or anything) pulled off the old bushing, slid on two new ones, cleaned everything up, and re-mounted.

Positive side I did not need to have the car up on jacks to remove it, or install it.

Took it out this evening and man, the car rides like it is on a RAIL! Corners so much better I forgot how good this car was, much tighter and happier. The steering wheel shake at 70mph is still there but lessened (I'm assuming the bar was contributing to the vibration). Not sure what that is, could be flat spots on the tires from when it sat for years.

Next up, rebuild the injectors, then figure out how to glue the separation that started on the rear hatch. It's a good car, and I really am amazed at how well it handles and drives....

Also what's up with tires, can the P6000's still be gotten?
I remember having this same clunk on my 944 S2. I think it ended up being the castor blocks of which I upgraded to the 968 version.

I also did the rebuild of the injectors and it really helped with rough idle and just general smoothness.

Sounds like you've done a tremendous job so far, now time to share some pics!
amdavid liked this
By ChrisZ
Well car is apart again for the injectors, but here's a nice side pic:

While it's down and the fuel rail is off I'll see if I can figure out where the heck the negative battery cable terminates so I can finally replace that. Hope I don't have to take off the entire intake.
Refurbishing D90 Wheels

I "think" they are straight. […]

Okay, so I pulled the trigger on going with a Must[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

Winning bid of $295K for the Vector doesn't real[…]

Formula 1 2020 And Beyond

So, after Lance's most recent screw up at the Chin[…]