Aircooled 911s
By 993pbug
Any other 993 owners here yet? Would be great to get a dedicated slot for us in our new-found home!
By XR4Tim
No, but it's the best 911, so I'll support it.
By martyp
96 C4 arena/black here. You?
By 993Maineiac
One more for the group.
By 993pbug
martyp wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:16 am 96 C4 arena/black here. You?
‘98 C2S Blk / Blk. Sending it out today to do trans rebuild ... final piece of the slippery slope puzzle!!
By David993S
993pbug wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:57 am Any other 993 owners here yet? Would be great to get a dedicated slot for us in our new-found home!
Yep. '97 black/black 993 C2S owner here.
By martyp
993pbug wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 am ‘98 C2S Blk / Blk. Sending it out today to do trans rebuild ... final piece of the slippery slope puzzle!!
Lol, not sure anyone ever gets back up to the top once over the edge. Good luck with the rebuild
By David993S
This thread needs some 993 pics. Here's mine:
Porsche993.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By amdavid
My 97 993 4S glam shot. Don't have hi-res. Not sure if I miss the 993 or the amazon green 964 I owned more. :(
motivator4e7557bb40215f7f9a2216dfe1df86a8_5a56918e84c0c61ff4f5bb4ed5b2f5ceb09da81b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By 993pbug
Can never have too many pics!
By Asquared
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997- ... era-4s-22/

Want.

Depending on where it winds up, I could probably afford the car, but my wife would make me get rid of one of my current Porsches, and I can't choose.
By 993pbug
Asquared wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:44 pm https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997- ... era-4s-22/

Want.

Depending on where it winds up, I could probably afford the car, but my wife would make me get rid of one of my current Porsches, and I can't choose.
That’s a stunning color combo ... especially in person. My friend has the identical car and makes me not like Black too much!
By amdavid
Yeah, never too much 993 eye candy.

Mine was L347 with Cashmere.
By David993S
Just to bump the 993 forum to the top.........
993S-1.JPG
By AllanH
Gone a year now;
By amdavid
My heart is racing.... :D
By Ponchobroke
Owned since 02, 170k miles. Engine rebuild this year by Rothsport. All maintenance and mods in-house.
By Ponchobroke
More Pics
DSCN1363.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG
By amdavid
Kinda like the way you tucked the front plate in....

Got a set of those MY02 bbs getting a refinish and ready for da 9 4 4.
By amdavid
Having owned a 97, if I ever went back to a 993, it would be a 95' with the good ole basket handle, love it!....not only that the SAI problem on later models and I always hated the immobilizer, nightmare.
By amdavid
Posting in both 997 & 993.
No flames, simple question. Since I've owned both, I can ask this question and have an opinion.

Speaking only on aesthetics; 993S or a 997S. Which one appeals more to you?

Not considering driving, just looks, I'm going to say the 993. When I owned my 9934S, there was not another car on the road I would have preferred to drive.
By Ponchobroke
I’ve followed my car a few times. There’s nothing like the ass end of a 993!
I just wish I could see it when I’m driving.
amdavid liked this
By XR4Tim
amdavid wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:20 pm Posting in both 997 & 993.
No flames, simple question. Since I've owned both, I can ask this question and have an opinion.

Speaking only on aesthetics; 993S or a 997S. Which one appeals more to you?

Not considering driving, just looks, I'm going to say the 993. When I owned my 9934S, there was not another car on the road I would have preferred to drive.
993 without question.
By TheDeckMan
Thread needs more pictures
amdavid liked this
By David993S
MY02's are some of the best looking wheels on a NB 993.
By amdavid
^^Agreed^^

IMO one of the best looking wheels on the 944S2. Twists look great on the 951, but don't think they're appropriate on a none boosted 944.

I keep wondering which 911 I'll end up in.......in the next few years. If I do a 993 again I will only do a 95', the CEL and immobilizer in my 97 was a PIA.
By Kigiin
My old 97 C4S.... will soon return to the air-cooled club.
amdavid liked this
By fast_freddy
Thinking of getting one again. Preferably on the rougher end of the spectrum. A project (but not too much) if you will. Frankly, these things are easy to work on and look forward to it. I got rid of my last one three and a half years ago mostly because I just simply didn't have the time to tidy it up, nor drive it. Now, my kids are off to college so...

I've seen pricing all over the place. All the way from mid $20's up to over $100k (non Turbo). Obviously, there's wishful thinking for many of them priced in. Pricing does appear to have flattened/come down slightly from whence I parted with mine. That is to say, with inflation it's gone down a bit. I don't care if it needs a new top end as that's not as big a deal as often proffered at 40 hours labor plus parts. Most everything else I'd do myself and did on my prior one.
By TheDeckMan
fast_freddy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:31 pm Thinking of getting one again. Preferably on the rougher end of the spectrum. A project (but not too much) if you will. Frankly, these things are easy to work on and look forward to it. I got rid of my last one three and a half years ago mostly because I just simply didn't have the time to tidy it up, nor drive it. Now, my kids are off to college so...

I've seen pricing all over the place. All the way from mid $20's up to over $100k (non Turbo). Obviously, there's wishful thinking for many of them priced in. Pricing does appear to have flattened/come down slightly from whence I parted with mine. That is to say, with inflation it's gone down a bit. I don't care if it needs a new top end as that's not as big a deal as often proffered at 40 hours labor plus parts. Most everything else I'd do myself and did on my prior one.
Really liked your last one. The prices really have seemed to flatten a good bit with all the insanity being in the 997 GT3 world driven by Doug and the other dealers. To be honest paying 85-90k for a 997 GT3 is silly when you can buy a good 993 and have plenty left over for some care and upkeep.

Perfection
By fast_freddy
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:05 pm
fast_freddy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:31 pm Thinking of getting one again. Preferably on the rougher end of the spectrum. A project (but not too much) if you will. Frankly, these things are easy to work on and look forward to it. I got rid of my last one three and a half years ago mostly because I just simply didn't have the time to tidy it up, nor drive it. Now, my kids are off to college so...

Really liked your last one. The prices really have seemed to flatten a good bit with all the insanity being in the 997 GT3 world driven by Doug and the other dealers. To be honest paying 85-90k for a 997 GT3 is silly when you can buy a good 993 and have plenty left over for some care and upkeep.

Perfection
Thanks. Mine, as you might recall, was similar to that one (did have the RS sill trim too). The biggest "improvement" was the RS suspension bushings (ERS if memory serves), RS uprights and Turbo sways along with Rennline solid subframe mounts. It wasn't harsh at all. With Volk wheels and RS2's I would outperform a friends supercharged NA Miata (240BHP) that was stripped with R compounds in most AutoX events except super tight/low gear events. The only other improvement I'd make with another would be the gearbox. First is just too short, second way too tall (relative to first). Other than that, it's perfect. Way too many people are hell bent on having more grunt. However, with 272-290~BHP its more than enough.

The immediate project for me is "pimping" my daughters NB Miata. By pimp, I mean just replacing the suspension bushings, new shocks and replacing the tires. The tires have plenty of tread but are old. At 145k miles the suspension is just long in the tooth. I'm replacing the EGR valve Sunday and doing the rest over the next week or so as she's off to school tomorrow and it wont be needed. Those things are a ton of fun at lower speeds. My onlt gripe about it is at 65mph it runs 3500 rpm so its a bit loud.
By AllanH
I loved the 993 and owned it for 10+ years. The problem I had was the ergonomics. I couldn't get a comfortable driving position to save my life. I even put in a Recaro Expert which helped but the car simply didn't fit my body. Maybe a 997 would suit me better but even that feels a little tight. Just getting old I guess.
By martyp
tonydec wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:27 pm Just registered.
Welcome!
By TheDeckMan
fast_freddy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:41 am
Thanks. Mine, as you might recall, was similar to that one (did have the RS sill trim too). The biggest "improvement" was the RS suspension bushings (ERS if memory serves), RS uprights and Turbo sways along with Rennline solid subframe mounts. It wasn't harsh at all. With Volk wheels and RS2's I would outperform a friends supercharged NA Miata (240BHP) that was stripped with R compounds in most AutoX events except super tight/low gear events. The only other improvement I'd make with another would be the gearbox. First is just too short, second way too tall (relative to first). Other than that, it's perfect. Way too many people are hell bent on having more grunt. However, with 272-290~BHP its more than enough.

The immediate project for me is "pimping" my daughters NB Miata. By pimp, I mean just replacing the suspension bushings, new shocks and replacing the tires. The tires have plenty of tread but are old. At 145k miles the suspension is just long in the tooth. I'm replacing the EGR valve Sunday and doing the rest over the next week or so as she's off to school tomorrow and it wont be needed. Those things are a ton of fun at lower speeds. My onlt gripe about it is at 65mph it runs 3500 rpm so its a bit loud.
Yep I remember your car vividly, really thought it might go well in my garage but alas was not in the cards. It is amazing how some simple suspension upgrades really can improve an old platform. Sounds like a long weekend project on your daughters Miata, 3500 is a bit buzzy for the highway, that is like my Corrado with the VW Motorsport gear set. Super fast out of the corners but not ideal for road trips.
By amdavid
My 4S glam shot, boy do I wish it hadn't gotten away.

David993S liked this
By fpena944
When I was shopping for a 911 back in 2009, I had narrowed it down to a 1996 993 cabrio (triple black) and my 2002 996 cabrio for the exact same price.

I loved the 993 but was concerned about the SAI repairs, A/C not being as effective, and the smaller size not fitting a carseat in the back.

My 996 was probably the right choice but man I sometimes think "what if?" and know that in terms of potential appreciation I definitely didn't make the right choice!

Beautiful cars for sure!
By amdavid
Yep, a few things that sucked about the 97.....if I went with a 993 again it would definitely be a 95.

SAI/CEL and immobilizer, really sucked!....plus I like the basket handle 3rd brake light on the 95's.
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm Yep, a few things that sucked about the 97.....if I went with a 993 again it would definitely be a 95.

SAI/CEL and immobilizer, really sucked!....plus I like the basket handle 3rd brake light on the 95's.
Funny you mention the immobilizer because when I went to test drive that car it took a few minutes to get the ignition to work. They needed about 3 salespeople to take a look at get it operational.

But the '95s have less horsepower. Does it make that much of a difference? I've only been in a 1996 and 1997.
By amdavid
Negligible. 993's without boost aren't particularly fast, 95 or otherwise. Can't comment on the 996, but my 997S had lots more power than the 993. If you want fast, boost is the ticket these days....
By JDS968
Bump!

I'm currently saving up for a 993. Thinking I might make the purchase in 2022. I'm looking for a 1995 C2 manual coupe. Speed Yellow would be ideal, but color isn't a deal breaker. I'm looking for something that may be rougher, with higher mileage, imperfect paint, dents, and interior wear all being negotiable, because this is going to be a project. However, a good, straight, corrosion free unibody is mandatory.

I'm planning to do carbon body panels, all new suspension/steering/shift linkage, stripped interior with fixed back Sparcos/6-point Schroth harnesses, and eventually doing a pretty wild big displacement engine rebuild myself.

Any of you hear of the perfect project 993...I'd appreciate the heads up!
By JDS968
amdavid wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:20 pmSpeaking only on aesthetics; 993S or a 997S. Which one appeals more to you?

I prefer the 993S over the 997S visually. The front end is kind of a wash, but 993 (any version) has one of the best rear ends of any car on the road.

The front end of a 993 really needs some kind of front lip, even the two little side lips. It just looks too "cutesy" with the rounded base model lower front fascia.
By JDS968
David993S wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pmMY02's are some of the best looking wheels on a NB 993.
Agreed, and on a 968, too!
By amdavid
JDS968 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:49 pm
David993S wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pmMY02's are some of the best looking wheels on a NB 993.
Agreed, and on a 968, too!
Set going on my 944 S2.....what you think about those on the 944 series?

Searching for a 993, huh...?
By JDS968
amdavid wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:11 pmSet going on my 944 S2.....what you think about those on the 944 series?
Pretty good on an S2 or the later Turbo with the S2 bumpers.

Maybe not so much on the earlier 944s.
amdavid wrote:Searching for a 993, huh...?
Yeah, Bring a Trailer is full of pristine low mileage $65,000 C2s. It would be criminal to cut their body panels up and a huge waste of money, too. Where are the $35,000 drivers with torn seats and faded paint?
By amdavid
JDS968 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:46 pm
amdavid wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:11 pmSet going on my 944 S2.....what you think about those on the 944 series?
Pretty good on an S2 or the later Turbo with the S2 bumpers.

Maybe not so much on the earlier 944s.
amdavid wrote:Searching for a 993, huh...?
Yeah, Bring a Trailer is full of pristine low mileage $65,000 C2s. It would be criminal to cut their body panels up and a huge waste of money, too. Where are the $35,000 drivers with torn seats and faded paint?
Those can be found, however they're all cabs or tips.
By JDS968
It's a crying shame Porsche ruined so many perfectly good 968s and 993s with that godawful transmission.

I'd say the same about cabriolets, but I understand some people actually PREFER them...
By amdavid
JDS968 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:56 pm It's a crying shame Porsche ruined so many perfectly good 968s and 993s with that godawful transmission.

I'd say the same about cabriolets, but I understand some people actually PREFER them...
Permission granted, the 968/944 S2 cabs probably really blow in terms of long term use/reliability and they don't look great. I'm guessing the 993 is decent, however the cab just kills the rear lines of the car....again, compromising the appearance of an otherwise gorgeous car.
By David993S
JDS968 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:56 pm It's a crying shame Porsche ruined so many perfectly good 968s and 993s with that godawful transmission.

I wouldn't call the Tip a godawful transmission. It does take some of the performance out of the 993 vs. a manual, but it's a robust, reliable transmission. Granted, if it had 5 speeds (like my 996 Tip) instead of 4 it would be better. Not everyone needs or wants a manual whether it's for convenience or physical mobility issues. My 993 C2S Tip is a blast to drive and I'm glad Porsche offered it in the 993. YMMV. :thumbup:
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am

I wouldn't call the Tip a godawful transmission. It does take some of the performance out of the 993 vs. a manual, but it's a robust, reliable transmission. Granted, if it had 5 speeds (like my 996 Tip) instead of 4 it would be better. Not everyone needs or wants a manual whether it's for convenience or physical mobility issues. My 993 C2S Tip is a blast to drive and I'm glad Porsche offered it in the 993. YMMV. :thumbup:
Remember when the Porsche 930 was only available with a 4 speed manual transmission?

I used to play that video game called "Test Drive" and remember thinking it was crazy for a car like that to only have 4 speeds.
By XR4Tim
David993S wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am I wouldn't call the Tip a godawful transmission. It does take some of the performance out of the 993 vs. a manual, but it's a robust, reliable transmission. Granted, if it had 5 speeds (like my 996 Tip) instead of 4 it would be better. Not everyone needs or wants a manual whether it's for convenience or physical mobility issues. My 993 C2S Tip is a blast to drive and I'm glad Porsche offered it in the 993. YMMV. :thumbup:
I agree. As far as automatics go, the Tip was a great performer for the time and rock solid. I've driven Tiptronic 964s and 993s, and they were better than I expected and well-matched to the characteristics of the engine. Conversely, I drove an automatic 944, and that was one of the most disappointing drives of my life.
If I couldn't drive stick for some reason, I would be happy with a Tiptronic 993 for sure.
David993S, amdavid liked this
Ineos Grenadier

Anyone have any experience with the Ineos Grenad[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]