Watercooled 911s
By David993S
2002 996. A Tip with a Twist.

996.2 Tiptronic coupe. Black with black interior. 138,000 miles with an engine rebuild and all other modifications at 128,000 miles by Steinel’s Autowerks in Twinsburg, OH including documented IMSB replacement. Aftermarket GT3 tail, front spoiler and dive planes. Many upgrades to suspension and other modifications for track driving including Corbeau seats, six-point harness for both seats, and roll bar. One set of stock MY02 wheels, and one set of Apex Racing SM10 wheels included. Over $50k “invested” to buy and build. All mechanical and maintenance work and all parts documented. Runs and drives great for daily driving and handles very well on the track. Very nice original paint and never wrecked......not even on the track with me pushing it to the limits. It keeps up with manual 996's and even passes them........at least with me driving. LOL. YMMV)
$23,500.
PM me with questions or for details.

(Get your non-manual driving spouse or kid on the track)

TheDeckMan, amdavid, SeanR and 1 others liked this
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:59 pm.....and?
Logistics but it'll be in new hands in a couple of weeks! :rockon:
By amdavid
That's a lot of 911 for the price!....beyond tempting, plausible even.
By N_Jay
David993S wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:52 am 2002 996. A Tip with a Twist.

996.2 Tiptronic coupe. Black with black interior. 138,000 miles with an engine rebuild and all other modifications at 128,000 miles by Steinel’s Autowerks in Twinsburg, OH including documented IMSB replacement. Aftermarket GT3 tail, front spoiler and dive planes. Many upgrades to suspension and other modifications for track driving including Corbeau seats, six-point harness for both seats, and roll bar. One set of stock MY02 wheels, and one set of Apex Racing SM10 wheels included. Over $50k “invested” to buy and build. All mechanical and maintenance work and all parts documented. Runs and drives great for daily driving and handles very well on the track. Very nice original paint and never wrecked......not even on the track with me pushing it to the limits. It keeps up with manual 996's and even passes them........at least with me driving. LOL. YMMV)
$23,500.
PM me with questions or for details.

(Get your non-manual driving spouse or kid on the track)

Why didn't you list it last year. I mean I love my Cayman, but . . . .
amdavid liked this
By David993S
^^ Sorry N Jay. I thought I was going to DE it last year and I didn't track it at all. I took up sailing last year, and that took up my DE time.
Cheers.
By N_Jay
All the better.
I hit 100 on most mornings, and I am sure at 125 I would be catching the attention of the police.
By David993S
This additional information regarding the engine rebuild and other modifications might help:

I had engine work done twice, when I first bought it to address some immediate needs in July '15, and the rebuild in Dec. '16.

July 2015
Parts: IMS bearing kit; 2 O-ring/Secondary Oil Pump; AOS; 6 seal/spark plug hole (not even sure what that is); 12 hydraulic lifter/exhaust; 3 seal ring; 3 O-ring tensioner; 4 end cap seal, cam; 2 end cap seal, cam; 6 Bosch spark plugs; 4 ignition coils; rubber mount/throttle body; gasket/trans pan; and lots of other misc stuff not related to the engine.
Description from invoice: "With engine in stand. Remove left and right valve covers and solenoids. Remove and inspect cam shafts. Replace all exhaust lifters on both banks. Reinstall cams and time engine. Replace leaking AOS. Lock out cam shafts, remove IMS bearing. Install updated IMS Pro bearing assembly with new cover.
Remate engine and transmission, reinstall starter and intake plenum........." etc.

December 2016
Parts: 8 flywheel bolts; 1 engine gasket set; 24 cylinder head bolts; chain guard rail; 12 rod bearing set; 12 connecting rod bolts; 2 sealing compound/Drei-Bond (?); 1 engine case w/fitted pistons (60k miles); 6 bolt, exhaust (GB); 6 ignition coil update.
Description from invoice: "....remove transmission & engine; Perform leak test (cyl 6 high). Remove exhaust & sub-systems. Remover cam covers and shafts. Remove cylinder heads and drive chains. Separate engine halves and inspect components for damage. separate and clean all useable components. locate scored #6 cylinder. Fitted case: Replace rod bearings & reassemble original crank & carrier (w/previously installed IMS). Assemble case, install fitted pistons. Clean heads, disassemble, check guides, lap in valves, replace stem seals, install heads, replace chain guides, set timing, install sub-systems, Replace ignition coils and spark plugs.
Remate engine & transmission, reinstall........." etc.

ECU was also sent out for re-flashing for better performance ($695).
Hope that helps regarding the engine.

Suspension modifications: H&R Porsche Sport Springs; Tarett Engineering deep sump kit & oil sump baffle; Tarett Engineering rear toe link kit; Tarett Engineering F & R sway bars & drop links; VertexAuto front strut brace;

Interior: GMG roll bar; Corbeau seats, 6 pt harnesses. (the belts currently in the car show a "not valid after" date of 2022. Most PCA regions don't care about that provided the belts are in good condition)

By N_Jay
You are not making me feel any better. ;)
By Scott at Team Harco
David993S wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:31 am 6 seal/spark plug hole (not even sure what that is)
David993S liked this
By fpena944
@David993S - so it's still street legal and can be registered?
By David993S
fpena944 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:56 am @David993S - so it's still street legal and can be registered?
Absolutely Fernando. I have it legally licensed, registered, and insured. Not only street legal, but very streetable. It has sport cats and Fister-modified B&B mufflers, and no CEL.
Cheers.
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:36 pm
fpena944 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:56 am @David993S - so it's still street legal and can be registered?
Absolutely Fernando. I have it legally licensed, registered, and insured. Not only street legal, but very streetable. It has sport cats and Fister-modified B&B mufflers, and no CEL.
Cheers.
Awesome!

Giving it some thought as I am interested in a prepped track car and this one seems to check pretty much all the boxes. I actually have WA (wife approval) but I'm going to end up with two 996s sitting outside with my two car garage already being filled up.

Let me work on my pros/cons list that I use when making all big life decisions... :biggrin:
By N_Jay
I can rent you some space, as long as I get driving privileges, :beerchug:
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:42 am I can rent you some space, as long as I get driving privileges, :beerchug:
That might be worth considering!
By XR4Tim
amdavid wrote:I'd be sooo on this if it didn't have a "tip"....
Realistically, it's not a bad candidate for a manual swap if you wanted to go that route.
By N_Jay
XR4Tim wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:29 pm
Realistically, it's not a bad candidate for a manual swap if you wanted to go that route.
Well, El Jefe?
You other is a manual, so you have the parts.
In the end you will have a track car with a manual and a driver with a Tip.
Swap/Swap
XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm
Well, El Jefe?
Swap/Swap
Believe it or not the tip doesn't really bother me. I did some research and also played with the tip in our Cayenne and discovered it really isn't that bad in manual mode. Sure it's no PDK but it probably shifts gears about as quickly as I would with the stick.

Now this change of heart only happened because of the experience I had on the track with my Cayman plus I remembered recently that I had driven a 997 turbo on the track with a tip about ten years ago and didn't have an issue with it.

I think keeping my cabrio as a stick and using it as a pure pleasure vehicle is what I envision.

Stay tuned... :rockon:
By David993S
fpena944 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:32 pm
N_Jay wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 pm
Well, El Jefe?
Swap/Swap
Believe it or not the tip doesn't really bother me. I did some research and also played with the tip in our Cayenne and discovered it really isn't that bad in manual mode. Sure it's no PDK but it probably shifts gears about as quickly as I would with the stick.

Now this change of heart only happened because of the experience I had on the track with my Cayman plus I remembered recently that I had driven a 997 turbo on the track with a tip about ten years ago and didn't have an issue with it.

I think keeping my cabrio as a stick and using it as a pure pleasure vehicle is what I envision.

Stay tuned... :rockon:

It's like I've told many manual DE drivers, the Tip is actually quite competent on the track in the "manual" mode. I couldn't tell you how many times other DE drivers (often in "faster" cars) have come up to me to see why they had to point me by and are astounded when they see I'm driving a Tip (with hand controls, no less :lol2: ). It may have something to do with my 20 years of SCCA formula car racing, but still.......the Tip works great on track.
By amdavid
David993S wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:39 am

It's like I've told many manual DE drivers, the Tip is actually quite competent on the track in the "manual" mode. I couldn't tell you how many times other DE drivers (often in "faster" cars) have come up to me to see why they had to point me by and are astounded when they see I'm driving a Tip (with hand controls, no less :lol2: ). It may have something to do with my 20 years of SCCA formula car racing, but still.......the Tip works great on track.
I agree 100%. Good tippy always faster on track.

I need 3....I never deal with freeways and traffic.

For anyone considering...do it! :)
fpena944 liked this
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 am SALE PENDING.

(I think I'm going to miss it :bigcry: .............Radical SR3 here I come :eek: )
One of my local PCA buddies had a Radical and then went to an Ultima. He always had some great toys and it was fun seeing them on the track. They were both on a completely different level than the P-cars in the same run groups.

Your 996 will be in good hands, I promise!
By fpena944
amdavid wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:59 pm.....and?
Logistics but it'll be in new hands in a couple of weeks! :rockon:
XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
Hey what's happening here?!?

@David993S - thank you so much for your hospitality and for bestowing me the honor of taking care of your baby from here on.

Unfortunately now I can't claim, "never seen rain" like I see so many others do!

For everyone else - more photos to come in time!

TheDeckMan, milrad, XR4Tim liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
fpena944 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:57 am
David993S wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 am SALE PENDING.

(I think I'm going to miss it :bigcry: .............Radical SR3 here I come :eek: )
One of my local PCA buddies had a Radical and then went to an Ultima. He always had some great toys and it was fun seeing them on the track. They were both on a completely different level than the P-cars in the same run groups.

Your 996 will be in good hands, I promise!
Ok - I totally missed the significance of this. Well done, lads. :rockon:
fpena944 liked this
By TheDeckMan
Nice to see it went to a good home!
fpena944 liked this
By amdavid
fpena944 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:22 pm Hey what's happening here?!?

@David993S - thank you so much for your hospitality and for bestowing me the honor of taking care of your baby from here on.

Unfortunately now I can't claim, "never seen rain" like I see so many others do!

For everyone else - more photos to come in time!

Excellent, excellent, excellent Fernado!!!!...and dave993s too.
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:41 pm Here it was when I arrived home!

I know that house.
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:58 pm
fpena944 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:41 pm Here it was when I arrived home!

I know that house.
It's the house where I'm sure the neighbors think a crazy guy lives there. :biggrin:

@N_Jay - you'll have to stop by soon! Also we've gotta plan our get together.

@David993S - the car settled a bit when on the transporter and I had to lift it using a jack to put wood under the tires to let it clear the front hump. Yeah that'll be the last time I use a U-Haul trailer for this car!
By TheDeckMan
Those Uhauls are nice but the lip on the front is always a bear with low cars. Great to see it home!
By milrad
TheDeckMan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:42 pm Those Uhauls are nice but the lip on the front is always a bear with low cars. Great to see it home!
Yep, cost me a 928 GT spoiler. Never again, I finally bought my own trailer.
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:42 pm Those Uhauls are nice but the lip on the front is always a bear with low cars. Great to see it home!
It was a huge pain to get the car off that trailer.

I also discovered I need a new floor jack because the one I have is too tall for this car. I ended up resorting to the scissor jack included with the spare tire to get the car lifted and then we put two 2x4s under each tire to get it high enough to clear the lip.

I was a sweaty mess when done because when I left @David993S's house it was rainy and in the low 40s. When I got to NC it was nearly 90 degrees and I'm hauling wood and jacks from my garage multiple times trying to come up with a solution.
milrad wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:46 pm
Yep, cost me a 928 GT spoiler. Never again, I finally bought my own trailer.
I started window shopping for a trailer as I would really prefer to take the car to the track that way instead of driving it there. But that'll be for a later time.

My father also messed up the front spoiler on his BMW 535i with a U-Haul transporter. So yes I've seen them destroy other vehicles so that's why I knew to be sure to clear that lip by a sizeable amount before attempting to go over it.
By linderpat
Congrats Fernando - I was very tempted by that one. I'm looking at a BaT car now, red 996. Not prepped like your new one. You are miles ahead with this. :beerchug:
By fpena944
i am not a traitor wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:05 am You are living the dream, my friend!!
It's true, I really am and I feel so very lucky to be in this position!

Never would I have imagined having four of these awesome cars! Now I have to work on revising my signature photo :biggrin:
TRAKCAR wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:43 am Lots of car for the money :-)
Lots of fun per $, for sure :thumbup:
For sure, I mean I've been pricing all of these goodies lately in anticipation of reconditioning my 996 cabrio. It looks like that project will be delayed a bit but that's ok. I drove it today for a couple of hours total and can't wait to see what it can do on the track.
linderpat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:35 am Congrats Fernando - I was very tempted by that one. I'm looking at a BaT car now, red 996. Not prepped like your new one. You are miles ahead with this. :beerchug:
Thank you! I took a look at the car on BaT, it is a very nice looking model. Like you said it's closer to street prep than track prep but still looks like a good buy.

I'll provide more of my driving impressions soon but I'll tell you the tiptronic really isn't the awful boat anchor that everyone makes it out to be. Yes it shifts noticeably slower than my PDK but it doesn't really take away from the driving experience or the ability to accelerate through the gears. I drove my 6-speed 996 back to back with the tip and they are different enough where I can appreciate each one in its own unique way.

Here's a photo from our pizza run this evening. Put on the street tires to save the track versions for the main event:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XR4Tim liked this

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]