Four cylinder transaxle cars
By ChrisZ
Big mess. Got it off the highway and to a park and ride for a tow home. Will try the collapsable spare this afternoon.

Looks like dry rot, tread was fine, tires are from 2011. Darn.

By amdavid
Eeek. I realize us 944 owners are typically on a tight budget, but tires from 2011??.....not surprising. Unfortunate it was a big mess, glad nothing was damaged and you're safe.

Post pics with new shoes... :biggrin:
By fpena944
ChrisZ wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:55 am Big mess. Got it off the highway and to a park and ride for a tow home. Will try the collapsable spare this afternoon.

Looks like dry rot, tread was fine, tires are from 2011. Darn.

That's scary and I'm glad to see no big damage to the car or the wheel.

Did you lose any control when it happened or just slowed down and drifted off to the side of the road?

Different car but several years ago at the track there was an early 1980s Vette that experienced a blowout but due to the fiberglass fender it just blew out that part of the body completely. I had never seen so much damage on a car from a blown tire.
By worf
After 10 years tires are only good enough to roll a car around the shop.
By maddog2020
had a rear tire blowout on a 2000 SL500 on the way to a 3rd coast event. Was doing 90+ & took both lanes to keep it straight and get it stopped. guy that was behind me stopped to see if I was ok, he said he saw my headlights at one point. I think he really wanted to see if that outta town fancy car guy shat his drawers. I was ok as well as my shorts.... lol
By ChrisZ
Well, Tire rack guys showed up this morning and switched the rear tires. They said the other one looked fine, so I will keep it as a spare, no dry rot. Sometimes they just blow...
PXL_20230403_141437424.jpg
Oddly enough the collapsible spare worked well, time to deflate it for the next time it's needed....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fpena944, amdavid liked this
By fpena944
ChrisZ wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:34 am Well, Tire rack guys showed up this morning and switched the rear tires. They said the other one looked fine, so I will keep it as a spare, no dry rot. Sometimes they just blow...

PXL_20230403_141437424.jpg

Oddly enough the collapsible spare worked well, time to deflate it for the next time it's needed....
Make sure to put the valve back in the stem of the collapsible spare so you can actually use it again.

Ask me how I know...
By ChrisZ
Oh I just held it open till it went flat. Should I remove the schrader valve?
By N_Jay
Betting it was a slow leak that overheated the sidewall.
Age doesn't help because as the rubber gets stiffer the heating from low pressure gets worse and the rubber/cords fail earlier.
These are very rarely the sudden blowout people think they are.
By ChrisZ
Maybe. I'd be surprised if I didn't notice it going down before I drove it. It was on the driver's side, however I did pump them up to 40 pounds a week or so before the failure. Oh well.

Whatever happened control went bad quickly.
By N_Jay
ChrisZ wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:51 pm Maybe. I'd be surprised if I didn't notice it going down before I drove it. It was on the driver's side, however I did pump them up to 40 pounds a week or so before the failure. Oh well.

Whatever happened control went bad quickly.
You would be surprised how low a tire can get before you notice.
By i am not a traitor
N_Jay wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:25 pm Betting it was a slow leak that overheated the sidewall.
Age doesn't help because as the rubber gets stiffer the heating from low pressure gets worse and the rubber/cords fail earlier.
These are very rarely the sudden blowout people think they are.
This 100%
By ChrisZ
Oooohkay. Well whatever the cause I have happy new tires. And new 20/50 oil. And I pulled the injectors for refurbishing to find that stupid fuel problem. And other stuff.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]