8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Richard9591
Has anybody found a solution the the electric fan issue on S4s and above?
Once the bearings start to go the fans get noisy and fail. problem is you can't rebuild them (well certainly not easily - I am about to destroy a knackered one to have a look) and they just are not available new. I have not been able to find a straight replacement for any sort of respectable price and on top of that the fan housings are often damaged by people being too aggressive taking them out - or not undoing the oil unions. Strikes me a redesigned housing and a pair of common off the shelf fans would be a good solution - but the housing would be expensive to make.
Has Anybody found a suitable answer?
Richard
By Zirconocene
Sometimes you can find the Hans low profile fan shroud, which addresses what you're talking about. I don't know if they're still available from Hans, but they look slick and, if I can ever find some, are on my list of parts I'd like for my car.

Cheers
By potdog
Richard9591 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:23 pm Has anybody found a solution the the electric fan issue on S4s and above?
Once the bearings start to go the fans get noisy and fail. problem is you can't rebuild them (well certainly not easily - I am about to destroy a knackered one to have a look) and they just are not available new. I have not been able to find a straight replacement for any sort of respectable price and on top of that the fan housings are often damaged by people being too aggressive taking them out - or not undoing the oil unions. Strikes me a redesigned housing and a pair of common off the shelf fans would be a good solution - but the housing would be expensive to make.
Richard

Some NEW on Ebay UK listing number 394458075443
By Gary Knox
IF you have any interest in repairing the motors, or having them repaired, check this link to an 'old' post on the other Forum. I thought my antique brain remembered a Kiwi or an Aussie doing this, and a search of the Forum showed I was correct - for once!

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/4 ... r-fan.html

Gary
By Gary Knox
Additional help regarding removal of the fan shroud (without draining the coolant) is here in Dwayne's Garage posting. Scroll down to Chapter 4 to see just the shroud removal:

http://dwaynesgarage.norcal928.org/1987 ... cedure.htm

Gary
By hessank
Richard9591 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:23 pm Has anybody found a solution the the electric fan issue on S4s and above?
Richard

I have been running with a Dorman 620-104 for over 10 years. It is paired with a Flex-A-Lite 31163 Variable Speed Controller. The Dorman is good for 3500 CFM. Never experienced an over heating event.
SeanR liked this
By Richard9591
Nice looking setup but what do you do about the inlet air vents at the top? Those tabs would get in the way of the top hose surely.
By Richard9591
Gary Knox wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:39 pm Additional help regarding removal of the fan shroud (without draining the coolant) is here in Dwayne's Garage posting. Scroll down to Chapter 4 to see just the shroud removal:

http://dwaynesgarage.norcal928.org/1987 ... cedure.htm

Gary
That routine is for the cam belt job and includes removing top and bottom hoses anyway. by removing just the top hose and the cooler pipes the job is easy. Trying to get the shroud out without taking both cooler pipes off usually ends up with damage
By hessank
Richard9591 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:59 am Nice looking setup but what do you do about the inlet air vents at the top? Those tabs would get in the way of the top hose surely.

Trim the tabs.
There are several writeups OTOS about using this Ford Contour/Mystique dual fan setup. It was not my idea, I just followed what others did and it's been working. In FL at 80+ with the AC on I have NEVER experienced any form of over heating (my experience, of course). Plus you get a new fans for $200. The Flex-A-Lite paired perfectly by not starting out at full power but ramping up as the Temp increases.

It fits my MS alum rad with a 1" space left over in a corner. Here is a pic taken almost 10 years ago. Still looks the same.
The American modded car world also swears about a single Lincoln Fan that pulls 4000+ SCFM if you need more umph. I have documentation on that if you need it. However, those fans are scarce because of that reason
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By SeanR
hessank wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:46 am
Richard9591 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:59 am Nice looking setup but what do you do about the inlet air vents at the top? Those tabs would get in the way of the top hose surely.

Trim the tabs.
There are several writeups OTOS about using this Ford Contour/Mystique dual fan setup. It was not my idea, I just followed what others did and it's been working. In FL at 80+ with the AC on I have NEVER experienced any form of over heating (my experience, of course). Plus you get a new fans for $200. The Flex-A-Lite paired perfectly by not starting out at full power but ramping up as the Temp increases.

It fits my MS alum rad with a 1" space left over in a corner. Here is a pic taken almost 10 years ago. Still looks the same.
The American modded car world also swears about a single Lincoln Fan that pulls 4000+ SCFM if you need more umph. I have documentation on that if you need it. However, those fans are scarce because of that reason

image.png

W
ho did the modification on the T-stat housing. I can think of two cars here that could use that. Mine being one of them.
milrad liked this
By hessank
I did Sean. I removed the thermostat housing, cleaned it up, drilled the hole and took it to a welding shop to weld the bung (bought from amazon). $25 cost for the weld. If I had to do it again I would do it on the underside instead.
SeanR liked this
By Richard9591
Well, it has been interesting and a load of info has flowed regarding the original fans - which are Bosch part No 0130304210
Now over here on the UK side of the pond they are currently out of stock everywhere but the prices vary incredibly from £97 to £170 ex tax. There is a very similar drop in - which is not as good quality as Bosch but does fit - albeit the ones I had took some persuading, the tabs with the fixed studs were sufficiently distorted it looked as if there was no way they would fit. Obviously damaged in transit. they need a different plug fitting to the wiring too, which is not a major issue. They are also slightly bigger in motor body dia but they do fit. I just wonder how long they will last. Cost wise they are much cheaper - about £51 over here - and available right now. made by Thermotec. Take your choice.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By potdog
Bosch fans S4 Image
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]