8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By Tony
Posted this on the other site also but to help the data base here :thumbup:

So i have to revisit this on my car.
I did a search to refresh my memory then recalled I had a spare needle and a tach sending unit in a pile of parts from when i repaired my PRND2 lights. (to the best of my knowledge the tach needle and splines are the same as the speedometer..CORRECT ME IF WRONG)
Here are some pictures and notes to clarify what you are looking at when doing this job.

1) the shaft is not tapered. period.
2) The shaft is splined and the needle is perhaps splined also. I say perhaps as it is press fit on, and over time the spline marks from the shaft may have transferred to the plastic of the needle. It appears to me to be an interference fit using the splines to "dig" into the plastic a bit
3) i would not twist the needle to take it off. There is no latch..catch....keying...index involved in its removal.
4) the needle is fragile ..plastic i believe.
5) the needle contains a metal reinforcement structure under it that is crucial to its strength and you not breaking it when removing it.
6) a fork or similar tool will work BUT...BUT...make sure the prongs are narrow enough to touch both sides of the metal reinforcement when you pry it up. The force should be distributed evenly in other words. If not , the prong will slip off and you will probably bend the needle and or the shaft. Note in the last two fork pictures...i narrowed the prongs in the second image.

pictures are worth 1000 words
Bertrand Daoust, worf liked this
By SeanR
Just a pointer (heh)

When I have one that is really hard to take off, I flip it on its side, use a tooth pick with Kroil on it and soak the attachment point a few times. Lubes it up enough that removing is easier.
Bertrand Daoust liked this
By worf
Good stuff!
Bertrand Daoust liked this
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]