Mid-engine cars
By Fox_
Looking like the market on used cars is softening.

Might be some deals on the horizon.

What's the sweet spot for the 981? Very likely looking at a base model.

I have to keep one vehicle with a trailer hitch, so still a stretch if only for the hassle of a complete switch up of vehicle inventory.
By fpena944
Fox_ wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:01 am Looking like the market on used cars is softening.

Might be some deals on the horizon.

What's the sweet spot for the 981? Very likely looking at a base model.

I have to keep one vehicle with a trailer hitch, so still a stretch if only for the hassle of a complete switch up of vehicle inventory.
I bought mine probably on the high side of cost but it has under 20k miles and pretty loaded for a base model.

Let me know if you have any questions on the car or the options available. Going on 14-15 months with the car so pretty familiar with it now.
By Fox_
I've been eying them for years, and purchasing one is within reason now.

Especially if they come down a little since the interest rate hikes are sobering up the covid psychosis.

I was wondering if there were any to look for in specific. As the 928 86.5 or even as simple as the Q5 with the 3.0t & S-line package as the 'one' to have.
By fpena944
Fox_ wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:17 pm I've been eying them for years, and purchasing one is within reason now.

Especially if they come down a little since the interest rate hikes are sobering up the covid psychosis.

I was wondering if there were any to look for in specific. As the 928 86.5 or even as simple as the Q5 with the 3.0t & S-line package as the 'one' to have.
The only experience I have is with my own but I will say that you'll want to make sure to choose one that has the "Sport" option if you elect for the PDK. I don't know if that option requires the Sport Chrono but I wouldn't do without it as "normal" mode is terribly sluggish and the accelerator does very little unless you floor it.

Also in terms of compromise between ride and looks, the 19" wheels work really well in my opinion.
By worf
All 981s should have “Sport Mode.” Sport Plus Mode comes with Sport Chrono (SC) option. SC also includes the clock in the top center of the dashboard; that’s how you tell. Sport+ adds some features. IMO useful if you track or want PDK launch control.

Seats are a big variable. Two seats (manual, N-way power) in each of two architectures (sport seats, sport seats plus): four total. You must test-sit each architecture to determine if there’s one architecture you can’t stand.

Seats, transaxle type are the big things IMO.

After that, the base interiors feature vinyl-covered door panels that like to warp (EU regs) over time in strong sunlight. Not super-expensive to fix if caught early. Full-leather: no warping.

Carbon fiber interior bits: same story replace “warp” with “crack and/or discolor.”

On the used market most descriptions of equipment and options will be wrong and/or mix up standard versus options. You’ll need to learn how to recognize options on sight or get a VINalytics subscription so that you can pull build sheets by VIN.
By saabin
My 981S is prob my fav Porsche I have owned.. even more than my 997 turbo.

My Must have options were, PDK, Sport Chrono, PSE, and heated seats. I got lucky in that the car I found had sport seats and PDLS lights as well, which I have come to really appreciate. I DIYed the X73 suspension about 2 years ago..

Bought it about 4.5 years ago with 24K miles, and paid 46K for it. I could prob sell it for that today with 57K on it now.. LOL.

Also a great track car..

By fpena944
Fox_ wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:47 pm
Calling @N_Jay here as I believe that's the model he just picked up a few months ago.
By Fox_
The 987.2s selling used for almost original MSRP is killing me.

(Not inflation adjusted)
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:23 pm
Fox_ wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:47 pm
Calling @N_Jay here as I believe that's the model he just picked up a few months ago.
I ended up with a 2012 987.2 2.9 PDK.
Just passed a year of ownership.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]