By ranger22
I sold my wife’s pristine Cayenne GTS a few months ago and have regretted it ever since. Been looking at all of the Euro SUV’s and I find that I kind of like the Bentayga. Looking at 2018-2020 model years, you can get a low mileage pretty nice spec for barely more than a comparable Cayenne Turbo of similar mileage/MY. Does anyone have any experience with a Bentayga?

Thinking back on our old Cayenne, we usually drove it in comfort mode because despite all of the effort to make a sporty SUV, the sportiness just made no sense. I just wanted a plush, fast cruiser that could take a corner. PDCC is a must. For Bentley, they call it Bentley Dynamic Ride. Damn near impossible to find a V8 with Dynamic Ride spec’d but I’ve found a few. Now I’m hesitating wondering if there is a Bentley tax above and beyond the normal Porsche maintenance costs and if Bentayga’s come across as too flashy. I’m looking for the most pedestrian looking versions, so the sleek Speeds are not in the cards.
By ranger22
Also, does anyone happen to know a trick to figure out whether a particular vehicle has Bentley Dynamic Ride? Most people don’t seem to know about it, so used ads never talk about it because there aren’t any buttons for it. I paid for a Marooney on one VIN and found that the spec was incomplete because I could see in pictures some options that were not listed on the Marooney that I received. Perhaps there is a better website for pulling build sheets. I think I used MarooneyLabels.com
By fpena944
I don't have any experience with the vehicle personally but find it funny that this evening my wife came home from her work commute and mentioned to me that she saw one and thought it was quite sharp looking. They definitely are distinct and quite uncommon at least around our part of the world.

Let us know if you do end up with one, would be curious to compare/contrast between it and the Cayenne.
By lupo.sk
My good friend’s brother bought 2, haha. One for his wife at first and then one for himself. It’s a great car, his wife has the v8, he went for w12. I was actually considering it for my wife but she pikes the cayenne more.

There is a premium over potsche on maintenance but it’s not mclaren level crazy. Talking to him I’d say 25-30% over porsche. The car itself is pretty much the same as cayenne, q7, urus, q8, touareg underneath as it’s based on the VW MLB evo platform so loooots of components are shared with other vehicles and if shtf, you can save a kidney or two by using audi / vw parts instead of bentley branded boxes.

I will ask him about the BDR and if there’s a trick. He’s on vacay in thailand and most likely drunk af every day so let me try and ping him and see if I get a coherent answer.
milrad liked this
By ranger22
N_Jay wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:57 pm Top of the line for the Touareg-Cayenne-Q7 series.
Yes, same platform. Urus is probably tops and Audi Q8 also uses the platform. Anyone that thinks they are all the same should go drive steel springs and air suspension. Big difference. Many angles here, but everyone will value the delta differently. The first time I sat in a Bentayga it felt different in a good way. Hard to believe since it looks so similar to everything else, but the seats are wow. Materials, wow. Bargain shoppers can be totally happy driving an RS Q8 knowing that they have the cheapest version closest to the twin turbo V8 beasts.
lupo.sk wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:36 am My good friend’s brother bought 2, haha. One for his wife at first and then one for himself. It’s a great car, his wife has the v8, he went for w12. I was actually considering it for my wife but she pikes the cayenne more.

There is a premium over potsche on maintenance but it’s not mclaren level crazy. Talking to him I’d say 25-30% over porsche. The car itself is pretty much the same as cayenne, q7, urus, q8, touareg underneath as it’s based on the VW MLB evo platform so loooots of components are shared with other vehicles and if shtf, you can save a kidney or two by using audi / vw parts instead of bentley branded boxes.

I will ask him about the BDR and if there’s a trick. He’s on vacay in thailand and most likely drunk af every day so let me try and ping him and see if I get a coherent answer.
Thanks a bunch! I’ve been researching and all of the issues seem like the same Porsche issues. Nothing to be worried about. Still can’t figure out how to determine what has Dynamic Ride or not. Really frustrating with these.

Since Dynamic Ride is rare on the V8’s, perhaps your friend is in the perfect position to weigh in on whether or not it even matters. I was surprised to see that even Porsche makes PDCC an option on the Turbo. Clearly they don’t think it’s “necessary.” Coming from a PDCC Cayenne, I don’t want to get a Bentayga (heavier) and be disappointed.
By DAVfoto
My dad is a Bentley guy. I don't know if they have sorted issues with the W12 much, I do know that they are very finicky cars and small issues turn into expensive ones.

The GT coupes are very expensive to fix but considering the tight engine bays, it may be cheaper to work on the Bentayga. They are solid if well taken care of, but definitely finding an independent mechanic will be a chore, someone who knows more than just diagnostics.
By lupo.sk
ranger22 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:11 pm
N_Jay wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:57 pm Top of the line for the Touareg-Cayenne-Q7 series.
Yes, same platform. Urus is probably tops and Audi Q8 also uses the platform. Anyone that thinks they are all the same should go drive steel springs and air suspension. Big difference. Many angles here, but everyone will value the delta differently. The first time I sat in a Bentayga it felt different in a good way. Hard to believe since it looks so similar to everything else, but the seats are wow. Materials, wow. Bargain shoppers can be totally happy driving an RS Q8 knowing that they have the cheapest version closest to the twin turbo V8 beasts.
lupo.sk wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:36 am My good friend’s brother bought 2, haha. One for his wife at first and then one for himself. It’s a great car, his wife has the v8, he went for w12. I was actually considering it for my wife but she pikes the cayenne more.

Thanks a bunch! I’ve been researching and all of the issues seem like the same Porsche issues. Nothing to be worried about. Still can’t figure out how to determine what has Dynamic Ride or not. Really frustrating with these.

Since Dynamic Ride is rare on the V8’s, perhaps your friend is in the perfect position to weigh in on whether or not it even matters. I was surprised to see that even Porsche makes PDCC an option on the Turbo. Clearly they don’t think it’s “necessary.” Coming from a PDCC Cayenne, I don’t want to get a Bentayga (heavier) and be disappointed.
I completely forgot to get back to you. Both of his bentaygas have BDR. He loves it and says he would look really hard to find one with BDR before buying.

We do have twisty mountain roads and way higher freeway speeds so he gets to use the benefits quite frequently. Might be different if you plan on puffing along at around US speed limits and town traffic.
By lupo.sk
And since I’m probably retarded today, I forgot to add: per his knowledge, there is no telltale sign of knowing if a bentayga has BDR unless you are going to get under the vehicle and look at stabilizers for hydraulic pressure lines.
Best bet is to get the VIN for car you like and run it thru bentley for options list.
By ranger22
Thank you for the feedback guys. At the risk of boring everyone with details of where I ended up, I gave up on the Bentayga idea. I spent a ton of time trying to find the right options on a used one and just couldn’t find one optioned wel with dynamic ride. I’d guess that 90% of the V-8s in the US do not have BDR. Many of the cars are either bare bones specs or they are over the top ugly. So instead I went and ordered a Macan GTS. It’s sitting at the port waiting for transport to ATL where I plan to do the PEC ATL delivery with my family. We’re going to make it a mini-road trip vacation on the way back. I’m looking forward to getting my wife behind the wheel on the Porsche track to see how she does.

And I’ve completely lost my mind. I’ve already contacted my Porsche salesman about turning in the Macan on a Turbo GT. I’m not 100% I’m going to do it just yet, but I’m leaning that way. My main hurdle is getting past the expense on some ridiculous SUV. I figure they won’t be making cars like this much longer, so I may as well enjoy it while I can. I know it sounds like I’m a flipper, but I tend to keep my cars for a long time. I’ve just been a bit fickle about the macan. I want to love it, but much like my first Porsche (cayman R) in the back of my mind it will always be a compromised design intentionally neutered to not encroach on the Cayenne space. It doesn’t help that everyone keeps telling me that their wife loves their Macan. Damn, I don’t want to be driving a chick mobile.
lupo.sk, amdavid liked this
By DAVfoto
ranger22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:10 am Thank you for the feedback guys. At the risk of boring everyone with details of where I ended up, I gave up on the Bentayga idea. I spent a ton of time trying to find the right options on a used one and just couldn’t find one optioned wel with dynamic ride. I’d guess that 90% of the V-8s in the US do not have BDR. Many of the cars are either bare bones specs or they are over the top ugly. So instead I went and ordered a Macan GTS. It’s sitting at the port waiting for transport to ATL where I plan to do the PEC ATL delivery with my family. We’re going to make it a mini-road trip vacation on the way back. I’m looking forward to getting my wife behind the wheel on the Porsche track to see how she does.

And I’ve completely lost my mind. I’ve already contacted my Porsche salesman about turning in the Macan on a Turbo GT. I’m not 100% I’m going to do it just yet, but I’m leaning that way. My main hurdle is getting past the expense on some ridiculous SUV. I figure they won’t be making cars like this much longer, so I may as well enjoy it while I can. I know it sounds like I’m a flipper, but I tend to keep my cars for a long time. I’ve just been a bit fickle about the macan. I want to love it, but much like my first Porsche (cayman R) in the back of my mind it will always be a compromised design intentionally neutered to not encroach on the Cayenne space. It doesn’t help that everyone keeps telling me that their wife loves their Macan. Damn, I don’t want to be driving a chick mobile.
I wanted a Macan as well but my wifes BMW X2, lower to the ground has not much less interior space. Plan to grab a 2009-2010 Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S at some point, pay cash for it next year if I can save the money fast enough.
By N_Jay
DAVfoto wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:08 pm
ranger22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:10 am Thank you for the feedback guys. At the risk of boring everyone with details of where I ended up, I gave up on the Bentayga idea. I spent a ton of time trying to find the right options on a used one and just couldn’t find one optioned wel with dynamic ride. I’d guess that 90% of the V-8s in the US do not have BDR. Many of the cars are either bare bones specs or they are over the top ugly. So instead I went and ordered a Macan GTS. It’s sitting at the port waiting for transport to ATL where I plan to do the PEC ATL delivery with my family. We’re going to make it a mini-road trip vacation on the way back. I’m looking forward to getting my wife behind the wheel on the Porsche track to see how she does.

I wanted a Macan as well but my wifes BMW X2, lower to the ground has not much less interior space. Plan to grab a 2009-2010 Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S at some point, pay cash for it next year if I can save the money fast enough.
We were shopping for a Macan, but it is just too small.
Was almost perfect in most other ways.
By ranger22
Just got back from test driving a used 2023 Turbo GT. Hot damn that thing can get moving. Turn in is pretty good for something of this size. Ride was actually a little rougher than I anticipated. I believe the 2024 version will have more range between normal mode and sport +. I assume this means the normal mode will be a touch softer. This is an unfair comparison, but the gear shifts were not crisp like my prior 991.2 RS. I know it’s a slushbox, so to be expected, but that’s a little bit of a disappointment for car that’s dialed up to 11 on everything else. Vehicle cannot be had with a 3 seat bench in the back, which just adds to the ridiculousness of the overall package. Gosh I love it though!
By DAVfoto
ranger22 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:18 pm Just got back from test driving a used 2023 Turbo GT. Hot damn that thing can get moving. Turn in is pretty good for something of this size. Ride was actually a little rougher than I anticipated. I believe the 2024 version will have more range between normal mode and sport +. I assume this means the normal mode will be a touch softer. This is an unfair comparison, but the gear shifts were not crisp like my prior 991.2 RS. I know it’s a slushbox, so to be expected, but that’s a little bit of a disappointment for car that’s dialed up to 11 on everything else. Vehicle cannot be had with a 3 seat bench in the back, which just adds to the ridiculousness of the overall package. Gosh I love it though!
What makes me wonder. The coupes that have center exhaust can’t have tow systems mounted. And the only reason for the ZF or in my old 2013s case the aisin transmission. So they could go with the pdk for just the turbo gt.
By ranger22
DAVfoto wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:13 pm
ranger22 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:18 pm Just got back from test driving a used 2023 Turbo GT. Hot damn that thing can get moving. Turn in is pretty good for something of this size. Ride was actually a little rougher than I anticipated. I believe the 2024 version will have more range between normal mode and sport +. I assume this means the normal mode will be a touch softer. This is an unfair comparison, but the gear shifts were not crisp like my prior 991.2 RS. I know it’s a slushbox, so to be expected, but that’s a little bit of a disappointment for car that’s dialed up to 11 on everything else. Vehicle cannot be had with a 3 seat bench in the back, which just adds to the ridiculousness of the overall package. Gosh I love it though!
What makes me wonder. The coupes that have center exhaust can’t have tow systems mounted. And the only reason for the ZF or in my old 2013s case the aisin transmission. So they could go with the pdk for just the turbo gt.
I’ve wondered the same thing. Perhaps it’s too much torque for a PDK or the weight of the Cayenne is too much. The Turbo GT is still at least 600lbs heavier than a Macan GTS. Or perhaps it’s too expensive to integrate a PDK into the Cayenne chassis for only one car.

Hearing things like this make me really glad I wen[…]

Bring A Trailer finds

no it doesn't Right, so the Shelby Do[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]