Mid-engine cars
By fpena944
This has happened 4 times in the past 18 months...

Driving along listening to music and the entertainment system on my Cayman just randomly reboots itself. Once it happened twice in the span of about 10 minutes. The most recent time was just yesterday. We were listening to a CD (yes I still do that!) and it just stopped playing and rebooted itself to the point where it was on the same screen I would see when starting the car.

After it completed the reboot then all was fine and even after driving a couple of other times it showed no other issues.

Is this a concern or just a glitch of some sort? My Cayenne has the same system and I can't recall this ever happening on that vehicle.
By linderpat
apparently, it's a thing. The Macan has this issue too. Not sure what the cause is, but the fix appears to be a unit replacement.
By worf
Ed thanks for bringing this back to the top.

Here's my opinion on the matter...

From what I recall reading on TOS, PCM failures usually seem to be the result of the spinner HD failing. Lot's of folks have upgraded the spinner to an SSD of the same form factor. Furthermore, as we know, all spinners will fail. So, preemptive upgrade to an SSD is not wasted time/money. The intermittent reboots are (IIRC) an indicator of the spinner dying.

Anyone with a Linux box that can run "dd" can do the electron-wrangling part of the upgrade. Getting the PCM out takes 30 minutes or less (the second time.) More dirty details on a long PCM thread in one of the "general" forums on TOS IIRC.

This particular service item has been on my todo list for a couple of years. I need to prioritize it for the part of the fleet that's PCM-equipped.
By fpena944
linderpat wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:58 pm apparently, it's a thing. The Macan has this issue too. Not sure what the cause is, but the fix appears to be a unit replacement.
In my preliminary research that seemed to be the solution... :banghead:
worf wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:06 pm Ed thanks for bringing this back to the top.

Here's my opinion on the matter...

From what I recall reading on TOS, PCM failures usually seem to be the result of the spinner HD failing. Lot's of folks have upgraded the spinner to an SSD of the same form factor. Furthermore, as we know, all spinners will fail. So, preemptive upgrade to an SSD is not wasted time/money. The intermittent reboots are (IIRC) an indicator of the spinner dying.

Anyone with a Linux box that can run "dd" can do the electron-wrangling part of the upgrade. Getting the PCM out takes 30 minutes or less (the second time.) More dirty details on a long PCM thread in one of the "general" forums on TOS IIRC.

This particular service item has been on my todo list for a couple of years. I need to prioritize it for the part of the fleet that's PCM-equipped.
Wow this is news to me, thanks for the guidance!

I'll have to research that. Really surprised that a car that I bought with just 20k miles would already have a failing hard drive. Considering I have an old iPod with a tiny portable hard drive that still works from 2003 that probably has had more shocks and temperature extremes than my car has.
By worf
fpena944 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:56 pm I'll have to research that. Really surprised that a car that I bought with just 20k miles would already have a failing hard drive.
It's all a bell curve. 1 Sigma of the time you're in the fat part.

All that Porsche cares about is the 3 Sigma of the time they're not in the tails during warranty.
By fpena944
worf wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:14 pm
fpena944 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:56 pm I'll have to research that. Really surprised that a car that I bought with just 20k miles would already have a failing hard drive.
It's all a bell curve. 1 Sigma of the time you're in the fat part.

All that Porsche cares about is the 3 Sigma of the time they're not in the tails during warranty.
That seems to be the business model that pretty much all organizations follow these days. Keep the product alive until the end of the warranty period, then proceed to let it self-destruct so you can turn around and sell them a new one!
By lupo.sk
This happened on all pcars I had. The 06 TTS does it to this day.
By fpena944
lupo.sk wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:32 am This happened on all pcars I had. The 06 TTS does it to this day.
How long have you observed this? I've never seen it happen on our CTT in the last 6+ years.
By lupo.sk
fpena944 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:29 am
lupo.sk wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:32 am This happened on all pcars I had. The 06 TTS does it to this day.
How long have you observed this? I've never seen it happen on our CTT in the last 6+ years.
Since I bought it pretty much. But I don’t listen to anything but the engine mostly so it doesn’t bother me.

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]