Watercooled 911s
By mussberger
TheDeckMan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:00 pm Sample quart made up to test spray :rockon:

Is that the Adria?

Adria was a finalist for my my brother's Pre A Polo outlaw.
By TheDeckMan
Aqua Marine Non-Metallic

Louis de Funes liked this
By TheDeckMan
Thanks Louis! Some trim parts are showing up here and there. Should be able to start tackling the rest of the primer/roof work in another month.

Still on the to do list is have the front and rear glass removed, which might work out well next month as the Audi TT needs a new windshield so could kill 2 birds with one scone.
By TheDeckMan
Nothing too crazy going on with the project so far this summer. Markus ordered up the rest of the paint and the new GT2 cluster and 90L fuel tank showed up, still many pieces away from getting both of those items to work fully.

Car is slated to head down late September to begin stripping the rest of the paint off and get the carbon roof put in. From there hopefully have it back late winter from paint to begin the mechanical work next year.

With the GT2 cluster I will be able to get rid of the PSM, however along with this process I am trying to chase down a GT2/3 ABS unit which is needed for the cluster as well. Since the larger 90L Cup tank will require new lines and coolant hoses might as well convert the rest of those to factory GT2 units.
By linderpat
That is a gorgeous color; looks like winter will be when enough stuff is in to start making serious headway.
By TheDeckMan
Off to paint she goes, next time I see the 996 should be a entirely different color. Got her rolling again and packed up last night to bring to Werk996 so Markus can strip the rest of the black paint off and put the carbon roof in. From there it will be paint and then back to me in the spring hopefully.
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
TRAKCAR wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:21 pm What a fun thread :-) :burnout:
Thanks!

Tuesdays drive to drop the car off went pretty well, we had to do some last minute repairs on the trailer wiring from it sitting for a couple years and replace a flat. Once we got rolling we took it easy and were able to drop it off without issue. Of course a quick wash of the trailer of all the organics growing from the lack of use didnt hurt.

Without a seat guiding it out of the trailer felt like a Panzer Commander experience.

On the way back we stopped to pick up my buddies E36 Unfinished Race car that needs some attention. Hopefully we are able to put the open spot of the 996 in the garage to use getting it operational again.
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
Carbon roof is on and these near GT2 spindles showed up :rockon:
amdavid, XR4Tim liked this
By TheDeckMan
Little update from Markus, sent me this picture of the 2nd air box filler vent. The single filler was always a choke point with fresh air. According to MR dyno testing it was worth 10-15whp at ~80-100mph or so.

Here it is used on a MR built 996
TRAKCAR, XR4Tim liked this
By TheDeckMan
A teaser
jacke2c liked this
By TheDeckMan
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
Got around to getting the tires on the other set of wheels.

amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
Thanks guys! It is coming along slowly but at least making some progress. Made it down to check out the progress and drop off parts/wheels to check fender clearance. First layer of color has been blasted on some of the panels and will be wet sanded then final coat to ensure a deep finish.

Roof is fully bonded, there will be a small area on the top that will be exposed carbon to give a clue of things hidden under the paint.
Interior painted and all parts back in. Alas some of the wiring will need to be pulled after as luck would have it a full GT2 harness and ABS system was found. This will allow the correct use of cluster/GT2 90L tank/ABS and no PSM!
lupo.sk, XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:52 pm Thanks guys! It is coming along slowly but at least making some progress. Made it down to check out the progress and drop off parts/wheels to check fender clearance. First layer of color has been blasted on some of the panels and will be wet sanded then final coat to ensure a deep finish.

Roof is fully bonded, there will be a small area on the top that will be exposed carbon to give a clue of things hidden under the paint.
Interior painted and all parts back in. Alas some of the wiring will need to be pulled after as luck would have it a full GT2 harness and ABS system was found. This will allow the correct use of cluster/GT2 90L tank/ABS and no PSM!
Do you have a specific end-date in mind? Just wondering if you had an event or grand unveiling you were trying to meet or just making sure it's exactly the way you want it regardless of how long it takes?
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:53 am
TheDeckMan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:52 pm Thanks guys! It is coming along slowly but at least making some progress. Made it down to check out the progress and drop off parts/wheels to check fender clearance. First layer of color has been blasted on some of the panels and will be wet sanded then final coat to ensure a deep finish.

Do you have a specific end-date in mind? Just wondering if you had an event or grand unveiling you were trying to meet or just making sure it's exactly the way you want it regardless of how long it takes?
Right now the plan is unveiling at Porsche on the Mountain at Palmer Motorsports in October, but with big projects I prefer to make sure all is done how I want it even if it blows past the deadlines. At current point it seems like a long way off to be able to get this all completed for October, however the gearbox build/turbos/suspension/wiring might take me a year or more after it comes back to complete. So alas it could be 2025 before it is fully 100% complete :hiding:

Granted it took me almost 11 years to get the Corrado back in one piece and that still has some last items to button up but it is 95% finished.
amdavid wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:24 am I'm smitten with a widowmaker... :evilgrin: :beerchug:
:beerchug:
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:51 pm
fpena944 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:53 am

Right now the plan is unveiling at Porsche on the Mountain at Palmer Motorsports in October, but with big projects I prefer to make sure all is done how I want it even if it blows past the deadlines. At current point it seems like a long way off to be able to get this all completed for October, however the gearbox build/turbos/suspension/wiring might take me a year or more after it comes back to complete. So alas it could be 2025 before it is fully 100% complete :hiding:

Granted it took me almost 11 years to get the Corrado back in one piece and that still has some last items to button up but it is 95% finished.
amdavid wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:24 am I'm smitten with a widowmaker... :evilgrin: :beerchug:
:beerchug:
If I ever get started on reconditioning my 996 cabrio I'm afraid it might turn into a long project like this as well.

I guess we'll see!
By TheDeckMan
Thanks Mitch! Hoping for some more updates soon.
By TheDeckMan
Some more teaser were sent over Friday from the paint shop as progress is moving right along.

lupo.sk, amdavid, XR4Tim liked this
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:43 am Some more teaser were sent over Friday from the paint shop as progress is moving right along.

Wow that paint looks so deep that I can jump in for a swim!
By linderpat
that color is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing more progress!
TRAKCAR, jcnesq liked this
By TheDeckMan
fpena944 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:38 am
Wow that paint looks so deep that I can jump in for a swim!
linderpat wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:15 am that color is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing more progress!
Thanks guys! Been a long journey to get to this point, cannot wait to see it all together in one color back in the garage to then start some of the other parts of the build. Hoping to have a bunch of the other items wrapped up before Porsche on the Mountain at Palmer Motorsports for October, going to be a hell of a push to wrap all up by then but we shall see!

Only thing I can see not being able to wrap up by then is converting the GT3 Cup fuel tank/GT2 ABS and wiring harness all over by then.
By TheDeckMan
In final assembly phase now with final painting of the cage/other little pieces to color match. Crossing fingers it will be back before Thanksgiving.

Been working on a center cap for the Manthey BBS's, finalized the design next up to machine out of some Magnesium when one of my CNC mills is free.

fpena944 liked this
By TheDeckMan
Finally got word that the final polishing on the painted carbon can begin. PPG only offered Aqua Marine Blue in a water based which required a longer cure time for it to set into the carbon. The picture below shows the setting and print through, if wet sanded and polished too soon then the paint could still cure and have a print through.

With the cage and small other items getting painted, the final part of the puzzle will be PPF to protect the high wear areas. Alas once this is back it will sit for some time while I tackle getting the 997tt sorted out, which is currently awaiting newly built turbos from UMW with the special magic. But that is a whole other story...
TRAKCAR liked this
By TheDeckMan
Just like that got todays update picture of the RS hood polished
By fpena944
TheDeckMan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:12 pm Just like that got todays update picture of the RS hood polished
That is such a unique color, this car is going to stand out for sure!
By TheDeckMan
Thanks! Yeah super stoked to see all polished up and in sun light!
By TheDeckMan
Polishing continues
By TheDeckMan
Decklid and drivers side done.
NSXguy, XR4Tim liked this
By TheDeckMan
Cage got painted last week and assembly begins. Hopefully get to see it all installed and glass in the car next week.
XR4Tim liked this
By TheDeckMan
Thanks Chief! It’s getting there, closer to the light as the end of this tunnel!
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
One of the non-painted carbon bits. The Gurney Flap on the top of the GT2 wing
amdavid liked this
By TheDeckMan
MR Ducts

Money shot

TRAKCAR liked this
By TheDeckMan
Some more updates

Dry carbon for the engine bay looks really good as one of those hidden differences.

Lower black section of the bumper to match the new lip/sideskirts.
XR4Tim, TRAKCAR liked this
By TheDeckMan
Freshly done calipers
amdavid, TRAKCAR liked this
By TheDeckMan
She got dropped off for full PPF today...

A few steps closer to coming home!
TRAKCAR, amdavid liked this
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]