8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By ChrisZ
Window came down on the 86.5 928S this afternoon, took the door panel off and sure enough the regulator had detached from the window. Found half of the roller/bushing that goes on the end of the regulator and into the little window channel, it had broken in half.

Can this part be sourced/replaced by itself or do I need a new regulator?

C
By worf
If I parse your text correctly the answer to the question posed by the thread title is: “Yes.”

1C yes?

By ChrisZ
Right. Roger has parts 1c and 1d. I'll have to drill out 1d and re-peen the new part in, but should not be too difficult.

Now to refresh my memory, can I get the regulator out without taking off the motor, or should I take off the motor first then remove?
By Addlight
It think it's easier if you take out the motor (not even sure if you can do it without, as I've always pulled the motor). It comes out with just a few bolts and a connector, and removing it makes it much easier to line everything up for install. Plus, removing the motor gives you a chance to clean and lube it.

If you can, get the window in the up position and then use masking tape to hold it up there. It makes removal and install easier.

Matt
By ChrisZ
Ok, thanks for the memory refresh. Waiting on the part to come, when it arrives I'll pull the motor, then the lift after securing the window in the up position.
By ChrisZ
Answer for the thread is "No, it cannot". I ordered a new roller and pin from Roger, driving out the old one was not tough but the new pin sits slightly inside the roller so you need to use an anvil on the vise to drive it. Not difficult, but when I flattened the pin on the back the roller was flush against the aluminum and would not turn. Getting it to turn loosened the pin so it fell out when I tested the regulator back in the car.

Regulator goes in the trash, I'll find one on Ebay so the car is down for a week or two. Meantime it gives me a chance to fix the door panel which is a complete mess on the bottom....
By SeanR
ChrisZ wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:57 pm Answer for the thread is "No, it cannot". I ordered a new roller and pin from Roger, driving out the old one was not tough but the new pin sits slightly inside the roller so you need to use an anvil on the vise to drive it. Not difficult, but when I flattened the pin on the back the roller was flush against the aluminum and would not turn. Getting it to turn loosened the pin so it fell out when I tested the regulator back in the car.

Regulator goes in the trash, I'll find one on Ebay so the car is down for a week or two. Meantime it gives me a chance to fix the door panel which is a complete mess on the bottom....

I've done dozens of these and never had an issue. Sometimes I crush the pin with my vice but the easiest way is to tack weld the back protrusion. Grind it off when it needs to be done again and nothing harmed.

I'm wondering if you had the wheel on backwards.
By ChrisZ
I checked it against a photo and it installed properly but I didn't tack weld the protrusion.

When I tapped it in and flattened it, it was flush with the Aluminum around it so the only thing holding it was friction. That doesn't seem to be much for a very high stress location all things considered.

I guess I just don't have the touch, and since I don't expect to do this much I probably never will get it. Need to find another regulator assembly and make sure it's well greased...
By ChrisZ
Got the replacement regulator today. Looking at the pin I think I know what my problem was: I used a drill and press to drill out the old rivet, but I used too big of a bit and wound up widening the hole. Thus the new one wouldn't mushroom properly and failed. Drat.

Oh well. New one is in, I have a spare window motor if I ever need it, and car is more dirveable. Now to work on the door panel for a bit...
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]