General discussions related to cars and driving
By David993S
Forgive me as this topic is a little "other site-ish", but the exhaust system on a current Bring a Trailer listing (silver TR6) got me thinking about my past cars.

What's the best sounding car(s) you've owned? Not best performing or even loudest, but the one that simply sounded the best to your ears. Mine, not necessarily in order are:

- 1972 Porsche 911 with a factory sport muffler. Best sounding 911 I ever owned, and I've now had 8 of them with #'s 7 and 8 still in the garage.

- 1974 Triumph TR6. Yes, a TR6. I replaced the stock exhaust system with an Ansa duel exhaust with twin tips on each muffler. The silky smooth straight six with the Ansa was marvelous.

- Ferrari 360 with a Tubi muffler. My current Ferrari. The sound is music to my ears. To my ears the Tubi is just perfect. It redlines at 8500, but the resonance from the flat plane crank V8 at 3000 RPM is incredible. Makes everyone turn their head to see what they are hearing.

-Lastly: 1969 Camaro SS 396 with a mild cam and headers. Big strong V8 rumble. At idle you just knew there was some serious American muscle under the hood.

Wish I had sound clips from them.

By XR4Tim
For me, the winners are:

1. '93 GMC Typhoon with a PT72GTQ turbo, headers, 3" downpipe and custom exhaust. This only qualifies for best-sounding when it is spooling. Otherwise it sounds pretty rough.
2. '95.5 Audi S6 with Stromung exhaust
3. '03 BMW X5 4.6is with Dinan intake & exhaust
4. '13 Dodge Dart 1.4T - Sounds terrible inside the car, but from the outside it's the best-sounding stock vehicle I've owned.
5. '10 Audi S6 - This one would certainly move up the list if I upgraded the exhaust. It's very quiet in stock form below about 4,000 RPM.
By NSXguy
While we've had a few really good sounding cars over the years, the one everyone tells me sounds the best is our somewhat over-the-top turbocharged NSX.
It's certainly the loudest, with just a short 120mm diameter pipe exiting from the hot side to just under the bumper.
600whp is plenty exciting in a 2600lb. car, especially when full boost doesn't hit until 5K rpm's.

By fpena944
My 3 current P-cars all sound great (IMO) but I think the best one is the 996.

The Cayman has the awesome induction noise but with the stock exhaust still needs a little extra breathing. My CTT sounds unbelievable too with the Fabspeed exhaust and the V8 exhaust rumble, but with the turbos it is a little muted.

My 996 though has the factory PSE exhaust plus the 200 cell cats/x-pipe from Fabspeed. Love the sound to this day and it's been years since I configured it this way:

XR4Tim liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
Just a reminder (Brian); you have an open invitation to take that thing out on our track, anytime you want. :wink:

I've had some pretty good sounding cars, over the years. Plus a few that other owners let me drive (race). First two are not mine...

Sammy (Dodge Colt racer) was a great little car. It was raucous fun. Mostly intake/ carburation noise. Screams to 8000 rpm.

Stu (89 944 S2) has a custom stainless exhaust that really sounds good.

While mostly stock - my 01 996 (Speedy) sounds sweet.

Honorable mention to the I5, turbo, V70R (Uwe).

NSXguy liked this
By amdavid
I had some Supercup's on my 993 for a while, and while the cabin drone was not acceptable, the sound from out the back of the car was wicked. As mentioned, a bit loud for me considering the return.....if a car is going to sound/be loud, it better have the balls to back it up, the 993 did not. ROI on this item was not worth the drone...to me. In fact, FisterD's were born from Darrin driving my 993 with the Supercups.... :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od7WP2wyq1c
David993S liked this
By David993S
amdavid wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:43 pm I had some Supercup's on my 993 for a while, and while the cabin drone was not acceptable, the sound from out the back of the car was wicked. As mentioned, a bit loud for me considering the return.....if a car is going to sound/be loud, it better have the balls to back it up, the 993 did not. ROI on this item was not worth the drone...to me. In fact, FisterD's were born from Darrin driving my 993 with the Supercups.... :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od7WP2wyq1c
My experience was exactly the same with Supercups on my 993S. Sounded great outside (like a Supercup 993, duh) but too much drone in the cabin right at about 2800 rpm where you highway cruise (could hardly hear yourself think) and I don't think the neighbors appreciated it. Although it was fun to drive past cars and set off their alarms. I only had them on for about 6 months.

I like how Fabspeed always talks about how their mufflers ad hp and increase torque........that's simply not true. In fact, the Supercups actually hurt low-end torque, and it was even seat-of-the-pants noticeable. Unless an entire exhaust system is modified to a specifically modified engine, a Porsche engine needs some back pressure from the muffler to produce maximum torque.

I now have Fister Stage 2's on the 993 and I think they're perfect.
By NSXguy
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:41 pm Just a reminder (Brian); you have an open invitation to take that thing out on our track, anytime you want. :wink:

I've had some pretty good sounding cars, over the years. Plus a few that other owners let me drive (race). First two are not mine...
Honorable mention to the I5, turbo, V70R (Uwe).

I'm afraid your RallyCross track would chew up and spit out my cars, maybe the minivan might survive :surrender:

I look forward to hearing how the V70R sounds on the road, as it's sure sweet just puttering around the farm!
By Don Smith
My 93 S4 with Stromung Exhaust has that 5 cylinder sound, taken to the next level. At idle, it has the “burble” that we all need, and when the loud pedal is pushed, it answers with authority.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XR4Tim liked this
By linderpat
Hands down for me - Blumaxx. I miss the hell out of it, a 1978 Porsche 928 with a Tom Cloutier custom exhaust. A great car:
worf, JMW928, Rick Carter liked this
By JDS968
My 2004 Z06 SHOULD sound amazing...but it really doesn't. At idle, if you stand behind it, you can pick up a subtle gurgle from the mufflers. But mostly it's just way too suppressed. Maybe it sounds good at recline from outside, but I can't hear much more than a muted growl from the driver's seat, and I've never had anybody drive it by me at WOT while I'm outside. I am REALLY looking forward to long tube cables headers and straight pipes some day.

Mrs. Florida's bone stock 2019 Scat Pack, on the other hand, sounds incredible inside and out, from idle to redline. It is ROWDY! Steady but rough-ish idle and SNARLS at WOT. Better than a Challenger due to the longer pipes and my favorite exhaust in the industry except for a GT3.
By AKSteve
My previous Porsche, a 991 Turbo Cab with full Tubi Style exhaust/sport cats really sounded great. Lots of barking/burbling/popping in Sports mode. The best it ever sounded was when I put some racing fuel in and ran it with a COBB 100 octane tune. The exhaust sounds combined with the turbos and the blowoff valve hisses sounded just incredible.
By jcnesq
It's hard to beat a normally aspirated car. I added PSE to both my 996 Targa and my 997S, 997S also got that Fabspeed cold air gizmo on the 997S (which did beef up the sound a little). Both sounded awesome, 997S maybe a little better.

I hated the stock exhaust on my 997TT, ended up with a very slightly used Milltek exhaust with HJC 200 cell cats, bought for a steal from a guy on TOS (never did figure out what he didn't like about them). Still in service, never a single problem. I love them - deep sound, a little burbling at idle, not too loud but for me at least, loud enough, and no popping (which I don't like).
By ltusler
Well my 996 track car sounds pretty good. Flat 6 Innovations built 4.0 liter running headers, X pipe and tips. I have to wear full ear plugs and a helmet. It gets a lot of nice comments powering down the main straight at BIR reaching 155 at the top of 5th gear and about 7k RPM. Kind of like a Porsche Cup car, but the note is a bit lower due to the displacement.
NSXguy liked this
By worf
My twin-screw '91 GT with X-pipe, "racing" cats, and rear muffler bypass is the best sounding car I own and one of the best sounding street cars I've ever heard with my own ears.

By linderpat
That looks like a weapons grade engine Dave :rockon:
worf liked this
By fpena944
ltusler wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:32 pm Well my 996 track car sounds pretty good. Flat 6 Innovations built 4.0 liter running headers, X pipe and tips. I have to wear full ear plugs and a helmet. It gets a lot of nice comments powering down the main straight at BIR reaching 155 at the top of 5th gear and about 7k RPM. Kind of like a Porsche Cup car, but the note is a bit lower due to the displacement.
Have any video to share on that one? Whether from the inside or outside. Sounds awesome by the description of it!
worf wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:53 pm My twin-screw '91 GT with X-pipe, "racing" cats, and rear muffler bypass is the best sounding car I own and one of the best sounding street cars I've ever heard with my own ears.

I was behind a 928 track car once when going through a DE. Was amazed by the sound of the V8 close-up at full throttle. Almost scared me with the aggressive sound when it passed me. Never knew a Porsche could sound so muscular!
By Skyhawk172

not too much that beats old school chevy V-8's 396 (402) mild cam, Holly Carburetor, Hooker Headers, 2 1/2" exhaust. by far the best sound car I have ever owned
By jcnesq
This is my best sounding car (only in my dreams), so yes, I'm cheating. I have long said my dream daily driver is a 917, and by God, if I had one and could, I'd drive every day. To hell with any discomfort, I could drive it constantly and never a second without the biggest shit eating grin I could muster.

Watch the first 10 seconds of this and you'll get the idea, watch the rest of you wish.

By maddog2020
my 90 model 6.4 liter stroker. Custom stepped headers, burns stainless x and dual 3 inch stainless thru Borla Xr1 race mufflers.
This was with variable cam timing and stock intake

Here are some pics:

Here is what it sounded like during the initial startup with the ITB's and coil on plug. I had way to much dwell so it sounded Harley like. The cams are gun drilled billet and lumpy as hell.

By amdavid
@maddog2020 not adequate, need more. A Weird Science parking lot drive away romp would suffice/ :biggrin:

By tooloud10
Not as impressive as some here, but the best sounding car I've ever owned is my E93 M3. I certainly can't think of a more obtainable car that will let you hear a NA V8 sing at 8400 RPM.
By worf
tooloud10 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:53 pm Not as impressive as some here, but the best sounding car I've ever owned is my E93 M3. I certainly can't think of a more obtainable car that will let you hear a NA V8 sing at 8400 RPM.
That was definitely a good sounding motor.
By Redgt
Definitely my old 1967 Austin Healey 3000. Had found a NOS complete exhaust system when restoring it back in 1977…best sounding exhaust note ever!
David993S liked this
By jschiller
Not for the exhaust note but my Dino 246GT with 3 2 barrel Webers and 4 chain-driven cams right behind your head blasting down the interstate at a mildly illegal 145mph. Followed closely by my Cobra replica with a 351 Cleveland and nearly straight side pipes. Now, THAT had an exhaust note (about two feet from your head). Sadly, both long gone but the ERA I am building will resurrect the sound of one of them.
By N_Jay
1) Probably my GT6 with a header and a single SuperSprint muffler (Glasspack)
2) 914 2.4 with carbs and Ansa exhaust.
3) 987.2 Cayman 2.9
Special mention RX4 with a straight pipe.
By amdavid
N_Jay wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:17 pm 1) Probably my GT6 with a header and a single SuperSprint muffler (Glasspack)
3) 987.2 Cayman 2.9
@N_Jay You must do better than that^^.....sound bytes of one of those or it didn't happen. :biggrin:
By N_Jay
amdavid wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:40 am
N_Jay wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:17 pm 1) Probably my GT6 with a header and a single SuperSprint muffler (Glasspack)
3) 987.2 Cayman 2.9
@N_Jay You must do better than that^^.....sound bytes of one of those or it didn't happen. :biggrin:
GT6 is long gone.
914 is waiting for my shop to get finished.
Need to drop the engine to replace a broken exhaust valve spring.
Cayman; just call me between 7:15 and 7:45 AM on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday and you can usually hear 7500 RPM once or Twice. ;)
RX4 is also long gone (as were a few eardrums)
amdavid liked this
By amdavid
N_Jay wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:30 pm
3) 987.2 Cayman 2.9
GT6 is long gone.
Cayman; just call me between 7:15 and 7:45 AM on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday and you can usually hear 7500 RPM once or Twice. ;)
I'd do it just to fk with you. :biggrin:

Okay @N_Jay , time to hit youtube and find me something close to at least 1 of them!!
By N_Jay
amdavid wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:30 pm
N_Jay wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:30 pm

GT6 is long gone.
I'd do it just to fk with you. :biggrin:

Okay @N_Jay , time to hit youtube and find me something close to at least 1 of them!!
Looked nothing worth posting.
amdavid liked this
By Van1
My best sounding vehicles were actually motorcycles.

1995 Ducati 900 SS/CR with Termignoni carbon fiber slip on mufflers, open airbox with K&N filter, and jet kit.

2001 Ducati ST2 with Fast By Ferracci titanium slip on mufflers, open air box with BMC filter, and F by F chip.

Both were absolutely fantastic sounding Italian hotrods and screamed at full bore.
milrad liked this
By mussberger
I'd have to say currently the GT3 with all 9000 rpm. Not mine but you get the idea

This was fun for a while too

By Erik N
My old Texas Beach Suburban. The 454 coupled with the 4-sp 4L80E was a hell of a powerplant. I remember chrning through the sand/rotten sargassum weed muck and listening to that thing do some WORK!
DSCN0906.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Prairiedawg
My current 997 GTS with PSE and a Sharkwerks exhaust bypass sounds pretty damn good. I have a 981 Boxster GTS with PSE that sounds good as well but the pops and bangs sound a little artificial and a bit much. The 997 GTS exhaust just sounds natural and loves being taken to redline, just howls after 5,500 RPM's
By fast_freddy
(1)Former 993 with cat delete and a Fabspeed Maxflo muffler was glorious. It screamed/popped/gurgled but did drone a bit at 60~ mph in sixth. I did have straight pipes on it for a bit and it was just too much.
(2)Current MB CL63AMG. It's the perfect blend of gurgle, scream but does not drone at all
(3)Former MB E63 AMG, same as above.
(4)Wifes former Cayenne S (V8) with secondary cat delete. Gravely and sharp is the best description when you're on it
(5)Current GT3 (stock), while not as obnoxious as my old 993, it does scream beautifully, especially at 7500 plus rpm
(6)Current Cayman S (Fabspeed maxflo with cat). Screams very nicely, not too much crackle, no droning. Good for a DD
(7)Current 993. Stock and very nice at WOT, pretty benign otherwise
(8)Current Panamera S, it's OK nothing spectacular but it's a DD and thats just fine. I suspect I could make it like the above Cayenne S (same lump).
(9)Soon to be S600, it's got a TT V12 and I have heard audio of it being straight piped and it's pure evil. However, it'll be a general purpose "family vehicle" and unlikely to do anything to it. With the stock exhaust, it's subtlety aggressive. You "know" something is there.
By amdavid
fast_freddy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:32 am (1)Former 993 with cat delete and a Fabspeed Maxflo muffler was glorious. It screamed/popped/gurgled but did drone a bit at 60~ mph in sixth. I did have straight pipes on it for a bit and it was just too much.
(2)Current MB CL63AMG. It's the perfect blend of gurgle, scream but does not drone at all
(4)Wifes former Cayenne S (V8) with secondary cat delete. Gravely and sharp is the best description when you're on it
(5)Current GT3 (stock), while not as obnoxious as my old 993, it does scream beautifully, especially at 7500 plus rpm
(6)Current Cayman S (Fabspeed maxflo with cat). Screams very nicely, not too much crackle, no droning. Good for a DD
(8)Current Panamera S, it's OK nothing spectacular but it's a DD and thats just fine. I suspect I could make it like the above Cayenne S (same lump).
(9)Soon to be S600, it's got a TT V12 and I have heard audio of it being straight piped and it's pure evil. However, it'll be a general purpose "family vehicle" and unlikely to do anything to it. With the stock exhaust, it's subtlety aggressive. You "know" something is there.
Freddy, you can't have 9 best sounding CAR!... :silenced: :rockon:
By fast_freddy
amdavid wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:48 pm
fast_freddy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:32 am (1)Former 993 with cat delete and a Fabspeed Maxflo muffler was glorious. It screamed/popped/gurgled but did drone a bit at 60~ mph in sixth. I did have straight pipes on it for a bit and it was just too much.
Freddy, you can't have 9 best sounding CAR!... :silenced: :rockon:
amdavid liked this
By JMW928
These two 928's have always sounded heavenly to me:

This first one is 20+ years old, so please excuse the cheap camcorder/upload video quality but the sound comes through quite well. It's a 1988 (?) Porsche 928 modified by DEVEK, at the time one of the country's premier 928 performance shops. Known as "The White Car" within the 928 enthusiast community, it was a stroked 6.5 liter 928 V8 with custom cams, their level 2 headers, x-pipe, and a host of other go-fast goodies. It hit 210mph during one of the open road races in Nevada. That may not seem impressive today, but for a modified street car in the late 90's it was quite an achievement. The sound of this 928 going by at speed is still music to my ears!

Then you have this one from 2009. Louis "The Professor" Ott and his normally aspirated 1990 928GT, also with a 6.5 liter stroker. His dyno runs were a sight to behold and shook the building. 595rwhp!

By UDPride
At WOT my 2006 Cayman S with a Remus exhaust is the best sounding car Ive ever owned. Sounds way different than most other Cayman bolt-ons. More exotic, less grunty. My 944 Turbo with a Speedforce Racing exhaust sounded pretty good but its been so long I cant quite remember. My E36 M3 Sedan with a Stromung sounds good and isnt over-the-top wanker obnoxious. Sort of sounds DTM which is fine as it fits the car.

I have a 930 with every bolt-on you can bolt-on from Fabspeed, Billy Boat, ...cant remember who made the headers....its probably the loudest and meanest sounding but its still got that air-cooled sewing machine chugga chugga chugga to it so I give the Cayman the win. Lay people would probably prefer the 930 sound.

Ive long tried to talk myself into bolting out my E46 M3 from front to back -- if you full SuperSprint it the thing will sound like hell on earth. Stock however these things sound like shit...like a raspy soup can.

Im a huge Remus fan. Never heard a bad one on any car and they supply a lot of OEM. They have their own unique tone but are not garish and out of place.
XR4Tim liked this
By sh944
My 1958 stroker Harley Panhead with straight pipes. It is the sound of heaven at any rpm range.
By ranger22
My 997.2 GT3RS has no mufflers and Dundon high flow cats. It sounds spectacular. There is no way I can capture the sound on a video though. It’s just something you have to experience.
By Rick Carter
linderpat wrote:Hands down for me - Blumaxx. I miss the hell out of it, a 1978 Porsche 928 with a Tom Cloutier custom exhaust. A great car:
I also had a Tom Cloutier exhaust, Y-collector single exhaust, engine 1985 Keel supercharged ; always told it was the best sounding at the track, sold but still tracked often
By TRAKCAR

OEM 2021 GTS

I hope it will be the GT3RS I have to find the loudest muffler that doesn’t drone.

Usually I remove side mufflers but they’re already gone so immoderate replacing the one muffler I think with particle filters?
By ranger22
I was asked by some folks on TOS to make a video of my exhaust system. I still maintain that you cannot accurately capture the sound and you really need to experience in person.

Setup: 997.2 GT3RS + Dundon v2 Street Headers ran directly into RSS Center Delete Pipe. No Mufflers
Car was already warm.
Sequence of events: Startup --> idle --> switch to sport mode --> 2500RPM --> 4500RPM --> 6500RPM --> oops!

NSXguy, XR4Tim liked this

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]