By Chunpng
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:42 am
AKSteve wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 am I've heard the coating that Ferrari puts on its buttons and other surface materials in the interiors of their car gets weirdly sticky as their cars age. I'm curious to hear if this is an issue on your new purchase.
Sounds like they're sourcing from the same place that 90s and 2000s Porsches did. I had the same issue on my 944 and it is also a problem on my 996.
My 2007 Cayman has that issue.

Peter,

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Enjoy in great health.

CP
Airkuhl liked this
By Airkuhl
She's home.
IMG_3863.jpg
IMG_3864.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XR4Tim, Chunpng, Designer and 1 others liked this
By Chunpng
Peter,

Absolutely awesome. The only other red that I also like is the Porsche Arena Red. This color (and car of course) is spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

CP
Airkuhl liked this
By ny991
XR4Tim wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:39 pm A friend of mine has an F12 in that colour, and it is phenomenal. He does have some shrinkage in the dash leather, but it's not too bad. No sticky buttons though.
If he does experience shrinkage, all he has to do is sit in the car and it will go away! :hiding:

Nice ride Peter!
Airkuhl liked this
By fpena944
Airkuhl wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:39 pm She's home.

IMG_3863.jpg
IMG_3864.jpg
As much as I love Porsche, there is just something about a Ferrari that stirs my soul. I HAVE to have one before the game is over. This one is absolutely gorgeous...congratulations and wow, I'm happy for you!
ny991 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:57 am
XR4Tim wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:39 pm A friend of mine has an F12 in that colour, and it is phenomenal. He does have some shrinkage in the dash leather, but it's not too bad. No sticky buttons though.
If he does experience shrinkage, all he has to do is sit in the car and it will go away! :hiding:

Nice ride Peter!
Airkuhl liked this
By Airkuhl
Chunpng wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:43 am Peter,

Absolutely awesome. The only other red that I also like is the Porsche Arena Red. This color (and car of course) is spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

CP
Oddly enough the one car I would buy back is my old 993 in Arena Red.
DSC00963 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XR4Tim, terry997 liked this
By AKSteve
Those are both really nice reds. But someday I WILL own a Porsche that is painted in....Zyclamrot! This is the only red that I really, really love:

Airkuhl, XR4Tim liked this
By Airkuhl
Chunpng wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:58 pm
fpena944 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:42 am
AKSteve wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 am I've heard the coating that Ferrari puts on its buttons and other surface materials in the interiors of their car gets weirdly sticky as their cars age. I'm curious to hear if this is an issue on your new purchase.
Sounds like they're sourcing from the same place that 90s and 2000s Porsches did. I had the same issue on my 944 and it is also a problem on my 996.
My 2007 Cayman has that issue.
This company fixes the sticky buttons. Interesting part is that they have a menu on their homepage where you pick your car, it's basically a list of cars susceptible to the issue.

https://stickynomore.com/
By milrad
Rubino Micalizzato? Gorgeous, whatever it is.

Yeah sticky buttons affect many years of fcars. My 2014 F12 is just starting to show the effects. I’ll have to do them at some point. Seems to be more of an issue in hot climates and with people who are a little rough with their toys. Probably won’t be an issue in AK I’d guess.
By milrad
Ah never mind, I see it’s Rosso Maranello

Congrats!
By XR4Tim
milrad wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:15 pm Rubino Micalizzato? Gorgeous, whatever it is.

Yeah sticky buttons affect many years of fcars. My 2014 F12 is just starting to show the effects. I’ll have to do them at some point. Seems to be more of an issue in hot climates and with people who are a little rough with their toys. Probably won’t be an issue in AK I’d guess.
I did have sticky buttons on a Cayenne GTS that I worked on in AK. Porsche said it was caused by certain types of lotion. The car was owned by a stripper, and she always had a bottle of tanning lotion in the door pocket. I think the sticky on the older cars happened regardless of lotion use though.
By fpena944
XR4Tim wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:01 pm
milrad wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:15 pm Rubino Micalizzato? Gorgeous, whatever it is.

I did have sticky buttons on a Cayenne GTS that I worked on in AK. Porsche said it was caused by certain types of lotion. The car was owned by a stripper, and she always had a bottle of tanning lotion in the door pocket. I think the sticky on the older cars happened regardless of lotion use though.
Wow stripper Cayenne...wonder how long it takes to get the glitter out of the upholstery!
milrad liked this
By Airkuhl
This car has a bit of a weird spec, it has almost every piece of carbon fiber you can get except for the flappy paddles, so I figured it would be a great excuse to get some extended CF ones.

The paddles have 2 screws each holding them on. Technically you have to remove the steering wheel, but if you are careful, patient, and have a long thin allen wrench, you can turn the wheel in such a way that each screw is exposed one at a time and finagle them. 3 are pretty easy. However the top left never exposes more than about half of the screw head, if that. You have to kinda bend the shaft of the allen key against the side of the airbag, pressing really hard into the leather wheel center to get at it.

Sometimes a simple project will test your character. :confused:

Right paddle was replaced in just a few minutes and I was taking my time, using threadlocker, etc.
Left paddle came off without any issue and reinstalling the bottom screw was easy.

Only one screw left. Except it really doesn't want to fit back under the edge of the steering wheel center. I push hard on the tool into the wheel to make the right angle so I don't cross-thread, and the screw pops loose and disappears.

No problem. I look on the rug under the wheel. Not there. I look on my shirt and pants, not there. I get out and look at every inch of the interior on both sides, under the seats, etc. Not there. Now the panic is starting to show its head. I have no idea what the screw is. Home Depot isn't going to carry it. I don't even know what to call it to order a replacement. I have guests coming in 3 days who are going to want to check the car out and go on rides. I look all over the garage floor. My wife comes out and we're both on our hands and knees with flashlights. No screw. It seems to have fallen into some sort of interdimensional rift. Now what?

I have a few coffee cans full of 30 years' worth of random used bolts, screw and nails in my workshop. I remove the bottom screw to have a comparison and start dumping the cans on my workbench, rooting through piles of random hardware.

And there it is, what appears to be only one of the exact same screw. I try it in the bottom hole, and it is indeed. I don't deserve luck like that. Now I'm hyper careful, close the car door, have a light propped up on the seat, another on my head, and tell myself I'll sooner let the leather tear than lose this one magical screw. It finally goes in correctly and I complete the project. 5 minutes for 3 screws, an hour for the fourth.

Worth it though. The paddles are OEM look and quality and replaced the only remaining piece of aluminum in the interior. The paddle length is perfect, I'd do it again just for the additional functionality. Maybe pay someone to do it for me next time though. ;)
IMG_3895.jpg
PS: If anyone ever needs a replacement it's a black M4-0.7 x 10mm flathead cap screw with a 2.5mm Allen socket drive
By XR4Tim
fpena944 wrote:Wow stripper Cayenne...wonder how long it takes to get the glitter out of the upholstery!
Yeah, there was definitely glitter. :roflmao:
Airkuhl wrote:This car has a bit of a weird spec, it has almost every piece of carbon fiber you can get except for the flappy paddles, so I figured it would be a great excuse to get some extended CF ones.

The paddles have 2 screws each holding them on. Technically you have to remove the steering wheel, but if you are careful, patient, and have a long thin allen wrench, you can turn the wheel in such a way that each screw is exposed one at a time and finagle them. 3 are pretty easy. However the top left never exposes more than about half of the screw head, if that. You have to kinda bend the shaft of the allen key against the side of the airbag, pressing really hard into the leather wheel center to get at it.

Sometimes a simple project will test your character. :confused:

Right paddle was replaced in just a few minutes and I was taking my time, using threadlocker, etc.
Left paddle came off without any issue and reinstalling the bottom screw was easy.

Only one screw left. Except it really doesn't want to fit back under the edge of the steering wheel center. I push hard on the tool into the wheel to make the right angle so I don't cross-thread, and the screw pops loose and disappears.

No problem. I look on the rug under the wheel. Not there. I look on my shirt and pants, not there. I get out and look at every inch of the interior on both sides, under the seats, etc. Not there. Now the panic is starting to show its head. I have no idea what the screw is. Home Depot isn't going to carry it. I don't even know what to call it to order a replacement. I have guests coming in 3 days who are going to want to check the car out and go on rides. I look all over the garage floor. My wife comes out and we're both on our hands and knees with flashlights. No screw. It seems to have fallen into some sort of interdimensional rift. Now what?

I have a few coffee cans full of 30 years' worth of random used bolts, screw and nails in my workshop. I remove the bottom screw to have a comparison and start dumping the cans on my workbench, rooting through piles of random hardware.

And there it is, what appears to be only one of the exact same screw. I try it in the bottom hole, and it is indeed. I don't deserve luck like that. Now I'm hyper careful, close the car door, have a light propped up on the seat, another on my head, and tell myself I'll sooner let the leather tear than lose this one magical screw. It finally goes in correctly and I complete the project. 5 minutes for 3 screws, an hour for the fourth.

Worth it though. The paddles are OEM look and quality and replaced the only remaining piece of aluminum in the interior. The paddle length is perfect, I'd do it again just for the additional functionality. Maybe pay someone to do it for me next time though. ;)
IMG_3895.jpg
PS: If anyone ever needs a replacement it's a black M4-0.7 x 10mm flathead cap screw with a 2.5mm Allen socket drive
I installed the carbon paddles on my friend's F12. That last bolt seemed sketchy, even with a ball-tipped allen wrench, so I did pull the wheel off. I probably spent more time looking for the screws in the carpet than pulling and re-installing the wheel.
Airkuhl liked this
By Airkuhl
A couple extra pics from our recent road trip, thought I'd dump them here. First one is an unexpected detour. If the Ferrari snobs get faint over adding a few miles to their odometers, I can't imagine what they would do when confronted with 5 miles of dirt road. :lol2:
IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5240.jpg
By N_Jay
Airkuhl wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 am

This company fixes the sticky buttons. Interesting part is that they have a menu on their homepage where you pick your car, it's basically a list of cars susceptible to the issue.

Plastic buttons that look good and feel good are a pain in the ass.

I am not sure if their is good solution long term.
Eventually oil from you finger (French fries, etc.) Plus cleaning products plus ozone plus UV will break down whatever top finish layer they have.
By Bill d Cat
N_Jay wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:51 pm
Airkuhl wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 am

Plastic buttons that look good and feel good are a pain in the ass.

I am not sure if their is good solution long term.
Eventually oil from you finger (French fries, etc.) Plus cleaning products plus ozone plus UV will break down whatever top finish layer they have.
I don't think it's finger oils. My '98 Volvo with "tactile" paint on the buttons has gone through switches/buttons too-numerous-to-count over the last 25 years, even buttons that are never, or almost never touched. I recently replaced sticky window switches and the driver-side rear window switch, which is never touched (because I am tall and the driver's seat is always in the maximum rearward position so nobody with legs can sit there) was just as sticky as the other switches.

Hondas and Toyotas don't have this problem, but I guess the switches that don't have the tactile paint, just plain old Japanese plastic, don't "feel" as good.

How much pleasure can the feel of a power window switch possibly bring to one's life?
By N_Jay
As I said, finger oil, plus cleaning products, plus ozone, plus UV, (and some good old aging)(forgot to mention) all take their toll.
By fast_freddy
Airkuhl wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:01 pm Alright, hope I don't jinx anything as it's not in my possession for a few more days, but here are a few pics. I'll post a few more on a sunny day as these shady pics don't do the color justice.

Car1.jpg

Car2.jpg

Car5.jpg

It's a 2015 458 Spider. Last naturally aspirated Ferrari, last one designed by Pininfarina. It's older and less powerful than the Portofino, less practical, and lacks even basic modern touches like reliable Bluetooth, a usable cupholder, a decent stereo or Carplay. You have to actually insert and turn a key, lol.

On the plus side, pretty much everything else.

Uh Oh, my pants are tight!

Rear Brake line Seized

Thanks Dave. I surely don't want to mess with th[…]

For what it is worth, only the rear Yokes are Po[…]

Gary, been reading a little in the wiring primer. […]

Plan would be a light coat under the nut, a well[…]