Racing, Drivers Education, autocross, and other motorsports
By fpena944
Just signed up for an event from 9/10-9/11 to DE my Cayman.

I know DEs aren't quite racing but I am curious as to what this car can do in a controlled environment.

Had to buy a new helmet since my old one was a 2010 unit. Went to a local shop to try a few out and felt most comfortable with this one:
image.png
It's a ROUX R-1F Fiberglass bucket with an integrated water drink tube with quick disconnect, complete radio gear with noise cancelling microphone and speaker pods, HANS anchors, and RELEASE emergency helmet removal system.

Most of this stuff I won't be using immediately but figured in the next 8 years if I get into doing this more often then it'll be good I already have equipment ready to accept it.

Actually bringing the family to this one as my son has been interested in seeing me on the track. So I might be raising the next generation PCA track addict if all goes well!

Will post photos and my experience with the car after it all happens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Cuda911
Great! Cayman is a fantastic car for DEs. You will be nowhere near the car's limit for a few years. Warning: It becomes addictive and expensive!
By fpena944
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:56 am Great! Cayman is a fantastic car for DEs. You will be nowhere near the car's limit for a few years. Warning: It becomes addictive and expensive!
I DE'd my 996 for several years until my son was born. Then it all came to a grinding halt!

So in the last 9 years I've gone just once and that was in 2017.

It is loads of fun and I always considered buying a track car but just never got around to it. If the family enjoys it then I might have an excuse to pursue getting more into it since we can all go together.

The track I'm going to is my "home track" which I'm quite familiar with. But it'll be interesting to see how different it feels in a mid-engine car that has a PDK instead of a 6-speed.
By fpena944
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:34 pm Ah, ok. Leave the pdk in automatic mode during the DE. It's a great transmission!
That was my plan at least in the beginning. But I did want to try to see what "Sport Plus" mode can do on the track.

I have to admit though my skill level with shifting the PDK is not quite up to par yet. I'm just so used to the 6-speed that I sometimes forget what I have to do to manually shift the PDK. But hopefully it'll become a natural movement like it is on my 996.
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:15 am Just signed up for an event from 9/10-9/11 to DE my Cayman.

I know DEs aren't quite racing but I am curious as to what this car can do in a controlled environment.

Had to buy a new helmet since my old one was a 2010 unit. Went to a local shop to try a few out and felt most comfortable with this one:

image.png

It's a ROUX R-1F Fiberglass bucket with an integrated water drink tube with quick disconnect, complete radio gear with noise cancelling microphone and speaker pods, HANS anchors, and RELEASE emergency helmet removal system.

Most of this stuff I won't be using immediately but figured in the next 8 years if I get into doing this more often then it'll be good I already have equipment ready to accept it.

Actually bringing the family to this one as my son has been interested in seeing me on the track. So I might be raising the next generation PCA track addict if all goes well!

Where is the event?
By Cuda911
fpena944 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:29 pm
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:34 pm Ah, ok. Leave the pdk in automatic mode during the DE. It's a great transmission!
That was my plan at least in the beginning. But I did want to try to see what "Sport Plus" mode can do on the track.

I have to admit though my skill level with shifting the PDK is not quite up to par yet. I'm just so used to the 6-speed that I sometimes forget what I have to do to manually shift the PDK. But hopefully it'll become a natural movement like it is on my 996.
Yes, Sport Plus, but in automatic mode. If you try it in manual mode you will keep jamming up against the rev limiter. Give it a try though, just for fun!
fpena944, amdavid liked this
By fpena944
N_Jay wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 pm
fpena944 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:15 am Just signed up for an event from 9/10-9/11 to DE my Cayman.

image.png

Where is the event?
CMP down in Kershaw, SC. Takes maybe 90 minutes to get there through the back roads.

Here is a link:

https://www.carolinas-pca.com/Driving/DriversEd.aspx

You should take your new toy down there to test it out too!
By N_Jay
fpena944 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:06 pm
N_Jay wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 pm

image.png

Where is the event?
CMP down in Kershaw, SC. Takes maybe 90 minutes to get there through the back roads.

Here is a link:

https://www.carolinas-pca.com/Driving/DriversEd.aspx

You should take your new toy down there to test it out too!
I would need to get a helmet at a minimum.
Do you need a pit worker?
By fpena944
Cuda911 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:22 pm
Yes, Sport Plus, but in automatic mode. If you try it in manual mode you will keep jamming up against the rev limiter. Give it a try though, just for fun!
Not until I read about how Sport Plus functions did I even understand how to use it. I tried it on the street of course and the car never seemed to want to shift!

But now I understand it shifts at the redline and will downshift below 4500 is my understanding. I'll play with it and see what I think.

My wife has been driving the Cayman this week as our Cayenne tires arrive today. Her biggest complaint is lack of low-end torque. Of course I told her well we're comparing a tiny flat-six to a twin-turbo V8. But the other thing too is that this engine really is pretty reserved until you hit those higher RPMs. So it will be fun to feel "all" the power when on the track.

N_Jay wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:44 pm I would need to get a helmet at a minimum.
Do you need a pit worker?
I went across the lake to Denver and tried several on at a local shop where the owner races a Cayman. I can get you info on the shop if you are interested.

As for needing a pit worker, well I'll have two (wife and son) but they're not going to be very handy. Actually if you want to stop by we rented a 34' RV and should have a pretty nice setup for the weekend. Even as an observer it's fun to see all of the toys people are bringing to the track and just talk cars with everyone there.
amdavid liked this
By dernflatlander
I'll try to come up and see you. It's about 90 minutes away for me, too. My fifteen yo grandson is living with us now that his Dad passed back in January and I'm trying to expose him to as much that higher education offers further down the path of life. I will probably work as grid chief for the club race 21-23 OCT 2022 if you would like to volunteer.

Edit: Looks like there will be a DE along with the club race in October. Could not find which run groups online. Usually green and blue on race weekend.

Should be a good turnout as Daytona cancelled. Anyone know why?
By ranger22
I recommend you look into getting a good street/track alignment. A proper alignment really wakes up these cars from their OEM sleepy spec. If you need details on what kind of setup, I can probably get the information to help with it. Smidge of toe put up front and a smidge of toe in on the back will make this car much dartier.
By fpena944
dernflatlander wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:54 am I'll try to come up and see you. It's about 90 minutes away for me, too. My fifteen yo grandson is living with us now that his Dad passed back in January and I'm trying to expose him to as much that higher education offers further down the path of life. I will probably work as grid chief for the club race 21-23 OCT 2022 if you would like to volunteer.

Edit: Looks like there will be a DE along with the club race in October. Could not find which run groups online. Usually green and blue on race weekend.

Should be a good turnout as Daytona cancelled. Anyone know why?
That would be great! Just look for the trailer with the "Open Road" banner attached to it. We're going to be on the side where the emergency vehicles are parked. Spot #17 if I remember correctly.

I did receive an email from our PCA zone president asking for volunteers. I meant to check our calendar and see if I had that weekend open but never got around to it. I'll do that this evening when wife gets home from work.
ranger22 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:46 am I recommend you look into getting a good street/track alignment. A proper alignment really wakes up these cars from their OEM sleepy spec. If you need details on what kind of setup, I can probably get the information to help with it. Smidge of toe put up front and a smidge of toe in on the back will make this car much dartier.
Any disadvantages with a more aggressive alignment? Like a lot more tire wear?
By Scott at Team Harco
An aggressive (track oriented) alignment will result in more tire wear when used on the street. You are likely to have more negative camber and non-optimal toe settings when compared to a street alignment. In-board tire wear is most common, as a result.
fpena944 liked this
By ranger22
fpena944 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:56 am

Any disadvantages with a more aggressive alignment? Like a lot more tire wear?
Yes, more tire wear with track alignment, but if you’re driving the car right, you’ll kill the tires long before street driving on a track alignment will. Just my $0.02

Coming back to add more. A good street/track alignment will still make the car much more fun and the tire wear won’t be terrible. Factory specs really tone down the fun on these cars. I suppose they do it for safety reasons.
fpena944, JRMaroon liked this
By linderpat

image.png

That's the exact helmet I just got too. It's a good one. I did my first DE of the season this past weekend. Did it in my new to me Shelby GT500. It's an 07 with a solid rear axle. It was fun, but I needed to relearn how to drive that car on track. I have been tracking my 997 for a few years, so switching back to a Mustang was a big change.
fpena944 liked this
By fpena944
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:08 pm An aggressive (track oriented) alignment will result in more tire wear when used on the street. You are likely to have more negative camber and non-optimal toe settings when compared to a street alignment. In-board tire wear is most common, as a result.
That's the issue I have with my 996. Not sure if it's because I have the ROW M030 suspension or just the nature of the beast but the inner part of my tires wear out much sooner than the rest.
N_Jay wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:10 pmOpen Road GTG!
Great venue as not too busy and plenty of space to see the cars on and off the track.

The biggest drawback is that it's in the middle of nowhere so BYOB!
ranger22 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:45 pm
Yes, more tire wear with track alignment, but if you’re driving the car right, you’ll kill the tires long before street driving on a track alignment will. Just my $0.02

Coming back to add more. A good street/track alignment will still make the car much more fun and the tire wear won’t be terrible. Factory specs really tone down the fun on these cars. I suppose they do it for safety reasons.
Very true! I'll have to see if I have time before the event to have someone check the alignment and provide recommendations.
linderpat wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:55 am That's the exact helmet I just got too. It's a good one. I did my first DE of the season this past weekend. Did it in my new to me Shelby GT500. It's an 07 with a solid rear axle. It was fun, but I needed to relearn how to drive that car on track. I have been tracking my 997 for a few years, so switching back to a Mustang was a big change.
Glad I'm not the only one who became a fan of the helmets when I tried it on!

I've seen Mustangs on the track before and they held their own. I'm not sure if the owners had swapped out the solid for an independent suspension but surprisingly they seemed to do ok cornering. Was there a lot of oversteer with your current setup?
By linderpat
oh yes, plenty of potential oversteer. I have an 07 GT500, so it is the version with the solid rear axle. I really love the car - when you look at it, you know it is the successor to the 60's vintage Shelby GT class Mustangs. From 2015 on, the Mustang became a vastly superior package with independant rear suspension, but they don't look much like Mustangs any more. The live rea axle is fun to drive because it keeps you very engaged.
By JRMaroon
Quoting Ranger.....
[/quote]
[/quote]

This was my experience with a 981 Cayman S. Attempting to drive at pace with stock alignment I experienced significant understeer while destroying outside shoulders of the front tires. I thought I could increase front bite with lower front pressures. This helped slightly but resulted in rolling over the shoulder of the tire.
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]