Aircooled 911s
By FlatSix
one more pic for the gang. Ocean Blue Metallic

By FlatSix
I saw one of these today:

https://www.guntherwerks.com

Looks like these guys are to the 993 what Singer is to the 964.

Car was absolutely spectacular.
By red64chevelle
All this talk about 95's and no SAI. Here is mine. I removed the SAI system last week using the Patrick SAI plugs.
amdavid liked this
By fpena944
red64chevelle wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:32 am All this talk about 95's and no SAI. Here is mine. I removed the SAI system last week using the Patrick SAI plugs.
I remember that was one of the issues that scared me away from 993 ownership as I was looking at a '97 at one time.

Hey based on your username you might have to head to the "American Car " forum and post some pics of that Chevelle!
By David993S
Have you guys seen what a few C4S's have sold for recently on BAT? Holy crap. Makes me wonder what a low mileage C2S would bring.
By milrad
pulse check...any 993 owners hanging around?
By fast_freddy
milrad wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:32 pm pulse check...any 993 owners hanging around?
Formerly... However, I'm lining up a 1996 thats local. It needs a bit of work, but not too much more than I wouldn't prophylactically address anyway.
XR4Tim, amdavid, milrad liked this
By milrad
I hope it hasn't been "local" its whole life lol! Or you'd better be checking closely...as you know, even "summer" cars rust up there!
By fast_freddy
milrad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:09 pm I hope it hasn't been "local" its whole life lol! Or you'd better be checking closely...as you know, even "summer" cars rust up there!
It does have a little surface rust on the trailing edges of the front wheel arches, which is a very easy diy. No “cancer” elsewhere though. The bumper cover is beat to death which happens with these cars. It needs a top end rebuild and suspension work (I would have done anyway). The car was sort of loved. It was his brothers car that spent its life in Georgia from new and has been sitting in his garage since. The interior is great, even the left bolster on the drivers seat. The Odo even works, lol. The guy is terrified of what he has and can’t find anyone to work on it, I’m keeping my yap shut about that. He’s whining about it taking up space. I made an offer, he thinks it’s worth more than it is which is normal. We’ll see. I did fire my Indy wrench today. He blew off working on a few things on my CL and I needed the car. He rushed the job and accidentally broke off part of the thermostat housing. He owned up to it but didn’t think keeping the car a few extra days was a big deal. Then he tried to jack me on the labor telling me it was three hours more than it took him trying to get his money back in the part he broke. I showed him the timeline of texts of him starting work and ending. Done. He thought I owed him everything because he lent me his radar detector for a few days to try. Never mind the $5-6k a year I spend at his shop. By the time I passed Albany en route to Philly I had two guys aching to do a few things for me. He then called to apologize. Boo fucking hoo. I am looking into investing in a garage that my wife can use part of the building for her biz and of course the rest for a shop. I’ve got a client who has a commercial fleet of cars (elder care) that need around $80-90k year of service who has told me I’ve got his biz if I want to set up shop. Just looking for a partner/shop guy to get it done. A good shop is sorely needed here. They’re all assholes who are good at treating customers like shit. Easy pickings if you ask me.
By milrad
fast_freddy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:21 am
A good shop is sorely needed here. They’re all assholes who are good at treating customers like shit. Easy pickings if you ask me.
Agreed. It shocks me that there still isn't with all the money that's floating around Chittenden County. It was crazy how many cars with VT plates I saw down in NH getting serviced....for good reason.

Good luck in scoring that car...sounds like it NEEDS you :biggrin:
By amdavid
Freddy, what's status on the 96 993?

Check for rust under the front windshield seal, another common area for rust development.
milrad liked this
By fast_freddy
amdavid wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:05 pm Freddy, what's status on the 96 993?

Check for rust under the front windshield seal, another common area for rust development.
I'm playing chicken with him. The hard part about playing chicken, is knowing when to flinch. He texted me a week ago with, "what are your thoughts?" I responded two days later (I'm playing a game I hate) with "unless the price is what I offered I have no thoughts". I do know that the used car and in particular the more exotic car market has vaporized since December with the exception of downmarket cars that never changes. My best friend from childhood used to be Penske/PAG CFO and now sits on his current cos board with the Carmax CEO and all his auto industry contacts at Penske and elsewhere have mentioned they're selling nothing now (think Camry and price points north). My local car auctions inventory has more than doubled recently and actually has some half decent cars not just cars that were absolutely beaten to death. I'm thinking by early May I might "strike". I'm being patient (for once in my life) on this.

Rust wise it's all good. :thumbup:
By eflight
I started kicking myself again for selling my 997S when I did

I just started looking at 993's. I'd really like to get a driver for a decent price. More than willing to work on what I can myself.

I'm also looking at 964s but heck I can dream about having a 993 cant I

BAT has turned into collector perfect cars at crazy high prices.

I'm searching the standard Craigslist, auto trader , classic cars Facebook, Cars and bids and Hemmings.

Any other places I should be looking?
By XR4Tim
eflight wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:48 pm I started kicking myself again for selling my 997S when I did

I just started looking at 993's. I'd really like to get a driver for a decent price. More than willing to work on what I can myself.

I'm also looking at 964s but heck I can dream about having a 993 cant I

BAT has turned into collector perfect cars at crazy high prices.

I'm searching the standard Craigslist, auto trader , classic cars Facebook, Cars and bids and Hemmings.

Any other places I should be looking?
What do you consider a decent price? Cabs and Tips will be on the cheaper end of the spectrum if you're willing to go there.
By eflight
XR4Tim wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:18 pm
What do you consider a decent price? Cabs and Tips will be on the cheaper end of the spectrum if you're willing to go there.
Right now my Boss approved target is $50K. I really want a manual for the driving engagement and I'm not a big fan of convertibles.

I've got a lead on an 83 911 Targa thats at $45K, but high mileage, supposedly the engine has been rebuilt. Will need to make a trip to Mass on Monday to check it out.

I'm torn between an old school air cooled 911 and the creature comforts of a newer car.

996 prices are reasonable, I just cant get past those headlights.
By eflight
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:00 pm Yeah, there's not much out there in that range. A couple of 6-speed Cabs - this one I've seen in person: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/a43a ... =atempest4
But that budget would buy you an awful lot of 996.
I just wish I liked the look of the 996. Then again between the IMS and the Borescore I'm not ready to jump on a 996 or 997 right now
By XR4Tim
eflight wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:56 pmI just wish I liked the look of the 996. Then again between the IMS and the Borescore I'm not ready to jump on a 996 or 997 right now
I know what you mean. No 911 looks better than a 993 to me, but pricing has me occasionally peeking at 996s. I wish you much success, and will let you know if I see something that you won't have to compromise on.
By fpena944
eflight wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:56 pm
XR4Tim wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:00 pm Yeah, there's not much out there in that range. A couple of 6-speed Cabs - this one I've seen in person: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/a43a ... =atempest4
But that budget would buy you an awful lot of 996.
I just wish I liked the look of the 996. Then again between the IMS and the Borescore I'm not ready to jump on a 996 or 997 right now
I felt the same about the 996 years ago as well. But once I drove it I didn't care. IMS as you know is easily mitigated and borescore seems to only be an issue for cold-weather garage queens.

At first those headlights were quite a shock but now with even the new 911s not exactly having the classic lights, the 996 models don't seem all that out of character for Porsche anymore. Mind you I'm talking the lights from the '02+ models not the ones that were shared with the Boxster.

In my mind though, the 964 turbo and 993 turbos are two of the best looking 911s ever made!
By amdavid
Why not go back to a... 997..like an 07 non S...? You should be able to get a nice manual coupe for 50k or under.
By David993S
(posted in the air-cooled 911 forum too................)

Odd thing happened about an hour ago. I started the 993 to move to the driveway to wash it. I thought the key seemed a little "notchy" when turning. Shut off fine. Started up again fine. Go to turn the car off after putting it back in the garage, and the key is stuck in the ignition. Won't turn all the way off (verticle position) to remove. I can still start the car and shut it off, but the key is stuck in the ignition.

It doesn't have anything to so with the steering wheel lockout mechanism. That was disabled 24 years ago when the hand controls were installed. And it's worked fine for 24 years. I tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock to see if that worked.......nadda. The car has 46k miles.

Anyone ever have this problem? Do I need a new key/ignition mechanism? Did the tumblers inside the ignition break/fail?

Any advice, good or bad, is welcomed. :wink:
By fpena944
David993S wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:25 pm (posted in the air-cooled 911 forum too................)

Odd thing happened about an hour ago. I started the 993 to move to the driveway to wash it. I thought the key seemed a little "notchy" when turning. Shut off fine. Started up again fine. Go to turn the car off after putting it back in the garage, and the key is stuck in the ignition. Won't turn all the way off (verticle position) to remove. I can still start the car and shut it off, but the key is stuck in the ignition.

It doesn't have anything to so with the steering wheel lockout mechanism. That was disabled 24 years ago when the hand controls were installed. And it's worked fine for 24 years. I tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock to see if that worked.......nadda. The car has 46k miles.

Anyone ever have this problem? Do I need a new key/ignition mechanism? Did the tumblers inside the ignition break/fail?

Any advice, good or bad, is welcomed. :wink:
If it's anything like the 996 then the ignition module has gone bad.

Fortunately on the 996 it's an easy and cheap fix. Not sure if the same on the 993 but if so then you're in luck.
By David993S
amdavid made a suggestion, and it worked. (see post in other thread) Glad it wasn't anything more involved.
amdavid liked this
By XR4Tim
Very fortunate, because replacing the ignition lock in a 993 is no fun at all.
amdavid liked this
Bring A Trailer finds

and gauges for fuel level, coolant temperatu[…]

Tractors

The rear tires on my tractor are filled with beet […]

Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]