8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By martyp
My 90 came to me sans belly pans. What are my options for adding them back in?

I know there are after market aluminium pieces, but I don't think the front comes with the NACA ducts. Are the ducts needed?

I *think* I can source factory parts, but don't know if those would be a better way to go.

Your enormous expertise and valuable opinions are appreciated. At least it's not an oil question :tongue:
By worf
There are two pans on ‘87+. One is metal and (mostly) covers the catalytic converter assembly. The other is much larger, plastic, features riveted-on metal risers for two NACA ducts, and fastens to the air damn in the front and the metal pan in the rear (and points in between.)

All pieces are available from Porsche (last time I checked.)

Mark Anderson - 928 International - offers a metal replacement for the OE plastic pan, but it, unlike the OE plastic pan, doesn’t come with the risers for the ducts. Those need to be cannibalized from an OE plastic pan and riveted to the metal pan.

I do not believe that it is a great idea to run the big belly pan without the risers for the NACA ducts.
By martyp
worf wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:32 am There are two pans on ‘87+. One is metal and (mostly) covers the catalytic converter assembly. The other is much larger, plastic, features riveted-on metal risers for two NACA ducts, and fastens to the air damn in the front and the metal pan in the rear (and points in between.)

All pieces are available from Porsche (last time I checked.)

Mark Anderson - 928 International - offers a metal replacement for the OE plastic pan, but it, unlike the OE plastic pan, doesn’t come with the risers for the ducts. Those need to be cannibalized from an OE plastic pan and riveted to the metal pan.

I do not believe that it is a great idea to run the big belly pan without the risers for the NACA ducts.
Thank you Worf. I'll check into the factory parts - we are planning on moving back to TX and the air flow there will be more important than here where it's generally cooler
By Gary Knox
MartyP,

I have a used OE metal '2nd' pan from an '88 that I removed after the car was hit in the rear by a semi-trailer truck and totaled about 15 years ago. I also have one of the 'right side' NACA duct for the plastic front section. If you have interest in purchasing either or both, let's communicate via private message.

Gary
By martyp
Gary - Let me check with my Indie and I'll let you know. Thanks!
By bizman928
We [Woodypeck] are in the process of tooling up for both the metal rear underbody belly pan and the front metal replacement from OE plastic composite belly pan - we will be manufacturing the Air ducts to sell separately as well.

We will keep you posted.
Gary Knox liked this
By linderpat
that's good news. Jerry Feather was working on a pre-S4 solution too.
By worf
bizman928 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:18 am We [Woodypeck] are in the process of tooling up for both the metal rear underbody belly pan and the front metal replacement from OE plastic composite belly pan - we will be manufacturing the Air ducts to sell separately as well.

We will keep you posted.
Ducts are definitely needed. But, does it make sense to invest in the front pan when Mark Anderson already has a good and pretty cheap solution that is almost a perfect replica of the OE composite pan?

(i.e. The 928 community shouldn’t be wasting CapEx to compete with itself when there are so many other examples of where PAG/PCG are failing us…)
By maddog2020
with woodypeck being on the other side of the pond, I think shipping on these large pans might dictate having them made closer to the buyers in the UK...
By worf
maddog2020 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:47 pm with woodypeck being on the other side of the pond, I think shipping on these large pans might dictate having them made closer to the buyers in the UK...
True dat.

But, for the cost of tooling up to make pans on the other side, couldn’t you buy 50 and pay (a lot less) for bulk shipping in a corner of a container?
By bizman928
Latest update on the Belly pan development.
- The previous workshop came up short in the end and could not produce the ducts - which is the most important part.

Good news is, I found an amazing body shop an hour from me in the UK that makes custom car panels from hand. They roll old Jag, Rolls Royce flying spur and Bentley wing panels so feel we are now in good hands!

They are making up moulds for the ducts and we should have the first off in the coming weeks.
As for both belly panels - they will be able to press these easily for us.

So I feel a lot more confident now to say watch this space & hope to share photos of the first off complete underbody panel very shortly!
By potdog
Made one over three years back full lengh with removeable panel for oil change no holes for ducts cut in but are they really required other make of vehicles do not have then ,think the air that is pushed up would be defleckted by the air being pushed from the front at speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By worf
potdog wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:17 pm Made one over three years back full lengh with removeable panel for oil change no holes for ducts cut in but are they really required other make of vehicles do not have then ,think the air that is pushed up would be defleckted by the air being pushed from the front at speed.
Adrian Newey? Is that you?

There are two people to which the ability to visualize air flow has been attributed. The other is Kelly Johnson.

Test your assumptions in a wind tunnel and get back to us.
By potdog
Hi typical response from you you always no the best of evreything. and are uk Porsche divine oracle Paul Anderson made a full lengh one many many years ago and no one in the UK has ever said there had a problem with out the ducts Anyway for Steve Jones in uk think about the front fixings of the under tray to be removable for shipping and also some times the rear mounting brackets that fix to the body if you decide to make a full lengh one cheers all.
By worf
You do know that Porsche tested the OE underbody panels in a wind tunnel, right?
By potdog
Only ever seen wind tunnel results for over and down the sides please show picture of results for undef body.
By bizman928
bizman928 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:01 pm Latest update on the Belly pan development.
- The previous workshop came up short in the end and could not produce the ducts - which is the most important part.

Good news is, I found an amazing body shop an hour from me in the UK that makes custom car panels from hand. They roll old Jag, Rolls Royce flying spur and Bentley wing panels so feel we are now in good hands!

They are making up moulds for the ducts and we should have the first off in the coming weeks.
As for both belly panels - they will be able to press these easily for us.

So I feel a lot more confident now to say watch this space & hope to share photos of the first off complete underbody panel very shortly!
Latest update.
Have the concept details now for reverse engineering these air ducts from our fabricator. Going to take a few £1000's to tool up for these but I think it should be worth it, hoping that the volume interest and sales are there to try to recoup this upfront cost. Once the holiday period is over they will start to make up the first off sample part and then I can share some photos and potential pricing info with the group.

Thanks for the interest & support.
Ineos Grenadier

Sewell has a dealership for them here in the DFW m[…]

78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]