By NSXguy
I'm thinking about buying a Japanese mini (Kei) truck, for fun and possibly some light driveway plowing.
There are several brands that have been produced for decades, but being a Honda guy now the ACTY (for 'activity') has a certain appeal.
The years I'm interested in are the 1990's, which are powered by a 660cc 3-cylinder engine with a 5-speed transaxle mounted under the bed.
Most also have 4WD, and there are dump bed and other versions designed for farm use with creeper gears, etc.
A friend that lives nearby has one, and they love the heck out of it.....and even got it plated for street use.
I would probably do that as well, since Antique plates for cars 26 years and older here are cheap.

Anyone with experience/thoughts about these little trucks please chime in, as they have far more appeal to me than say a modern side-by-side :thumbup:

By Scott at Team Harco
NSXguy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:47 pm After a looooong session in the garage, I have a couple updates.

The straight-through exhaust was a bit too loud to live with, and since Supertrapp apparently doesn't sell the 5" SS end cap with the hole already drilled.....I decided to make one from a solid end cap.
Scott at Team Harco suggested I start with 3 holes with the possibility of adding more if it's too muffled, but after a spin around our sub we decided it was good just like that.
I prepped and painted the end cap high heat black, which came out great.

When we were behind you, on the way home, Wednesday, you 'accelerated' away from an intersection. Someone (not me), remarked that it sounds like a wet fart... :roflmao:
lupo.sk liked this
By Fox_
I want one.

God knows what I'd actually use it for.

But I want it.

Importers seem extremely proud of them too.
By yellowducman
I'd be interested as well. I've been thinking about replacing a Kawasaki mule with one. I live far enough out that I don't think it would be practical to tag it though as it wouldn't go fast enough on 55mph roads.
By NSXguy
Yeah, the 4WD Acty's supposedly can go 65mph....although I'm not sure how much fun it would be interacting with SUV's out on the road.

It would be nice to have it plated for the convenience of being able to fuel up from a station, not just gas cans though :thumbup:
By NSXguy
amdavid wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:34 pm @NSXguy

Here's one for sale....it is however through facecrock.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... =top_picks
Thanks, but I'm not on FB so can't see those posts.

Update, I am still in the market but have shifted my focus on the van version of the Honda ACTY.
They are a bit harder to come by, so I have a broker looking for one in Japan to ship over......

amdavid liked this
By NSXguy
Progress has been made, my man-in-Japan came through with a 1995 ACTY Street Van so it's time to do some paperwork.

It's of course RHD, has Real Time AWD and a 5-speed manual with the raised roof option and A/C.

I've had a set of Shelby 13x5.5" (4x100) alloys on a shelf in the garage for decades, which will now finally find a home on the mini-minivan.

Should take a couple Months to get here, so I'll update this thread as I can. :rockon:
Shelby 13x5.5 (4x100) Alloy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Scott at Team Harco
Real time AWD? Is there a fake/ alternate time version?
NSXguy liked this
By NSXguy
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:26 pm Real time AWD? Is there a fake/ alternate time version?
Ask Honda, it's their trademark!

Besides, did anyone give Peter Cunningham any grief running his Real Time Racing Acuras?

I didn't think so :roflmao:

Could be worse, 6WDFTMFW beotches!

By NSXguy
GOOD NEWS (sorry, no Dacia Sandero content ;-) our Man in Japan has found us an ACTY Van.

It's a RHD 1995 Realtime 4WD 5-speed manual high-roof version with A/C.

The exporter will install new tires and has already done a Timing Belt service, so it should be ready to roll once it gets here in a couple of Months.
Our Acty in Japan before shipping.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Scott at Team Harco
You didn't share the timing belt photo. Looks simple and tidy...

NSXguy liked this
By NSXguy
These little 660cc 3-bangers aren't all that powerful, but are known for their robustness.

From what I've read, 38.5hp pushing 1500lbs around can actually be a bit of fun.....I guess time will tell :rockon:
By NSXguy
Here's a short video of a guy driving a 2WD ACTY Van, and I think his philosophy aligns well with mine;

By fpena944
Don't know if this is the same make but I took this photo in 2019 during a Cars and Coffee at West Palm Beach.

It looks even smaller in person!
image.png
By NSXguy
Several companies beyond Honda make Kei trucks & vans, including Suzuki, Diahatsu (Toyota), Subaru , Nissan, Mazda & Mitsubishi.

I don't know them well enough to identify the one pictured, as they are more similar than different :byewave:
By NSXguy
I'm starting to accumulate a few parts in anticipation of receiving this microvan, including this little gem;

By Gregs04.5
Saw one of those after dinner tonight, I guess they do exist!
By NSXguy
Gregs04.5 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:52 pm Saw one of those after dinner tonight, I guess they do exist!
That little Acty makes the parking spot look comically large :roflmao:
By NSXguy
My importer says our microvan's passage to the US has been booked, so is just waiting for an opening on a ship.

In the meantime, I had a front plate made up to answer many of the questions folks will likely have upon first contact with the thing :confused:

XR4Tim liked this
By NSXguy
The latest update from the Importation process has our microvan arriving in the USA in late July.
XR4Tim liked this
By Scott at Team Harco
NSXguy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:25 pm I asked, but alas.....no :roflmao:
Probably for the best.

You don't speak Japanese. That cat would just ignore you.
NSXguy liked this
By NSXguy
Good news, I got the call today that our Acty van was being delivered to the dock in Japan for shipment.

It's expected to arrive at the Port of Baltimore around July 20th!
By NSXguy
maddog2020 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:12 pm Great evading vehicles as well https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/wa ... ar-AAYc1o4
Wow, I was hoping for a video link.....because that's just nutz!
image.png
By Scott at Team Harco
Looks as though you're going to miss that July 20 date. Next port of call: Mobile

By NSXguy
Yep, I suppose it gets to Baltimore when it gets to Baltimore.

My understanding is that once unloaded we have 20 days to pick it up, so the sooner the better from my perspective.
By NSXguy
Progress has halted, the ship is now at anchor outside the Port of Mobile.

The new expected date of arrival in Baltimore is now 8/8....
By NSXguy
Progress......the Hough Trapper made its move last night and is now moored at the Port of Mobile.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9706918

We'll see if it can get its Roll On Roll Off cargo done there quickly, and still get underway to Baltimore in time for an 8/8 arrival.
By Scott at Team Harco
Headed the wrong direction (west) to Freeport, TX. You're going to need some strong tailwinds to keep the 8/8 date.
By NSXguy
Scott at Team Harco wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:12 pm Headed the wrong direction (west) to Freeport, TX. You're going to need some strong tailwinds to keep the 8/8 date.
Yeah, no kidding!

According to the currently posted scheduling, they think they'll make it;

https://www.hoeghautoliners.com/sailing ... essel=TRPR
By NSXguy
YES, so now it needs to clear Customs at the port.

In the meantime I'm gathering some stuff that might be useful on the road trip to pick it up.

Air compressor, jump pack, floor jack, tire gauge and (according to the port rules) hi-viz vests!
By lupo.sk
NSXguy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:23 am … and (according to the port rules) hi-viz vests!
For the kei truck? ;)

Don’t forget a second exhaust. In case it breaks down, you can pick it up and move it around like a wheelbarrow :roflmao:
By NSXguy
lupo.sk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:49 am
NSXguy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:23 am … and (according to the port rules) hi-viz vests!
For the kei truck? ;)

Don’t forget a second exhaust. In case it breaks down, you can pick it up and move it around like a wheelbarrow :roflmao:
Good idea, at only 1400lbs that could be a viable option :thumbup:

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]

78 in Fort worth

I have not seen that car before. I am familiar wi[…]

Wonderful. I don't think there are many critical d[…]