8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By h2pmr
center cap and mechanism that fits inside it should be coming next week.
need to contact a guy i know who can cut the wheel down to 2"'ish in depth
will use the 9 2 8 numbers in their font.

need to make a metal bracket that will mount to a wall, with longer wheel bolts welded to it so can use Porsche wheel nuts to mount the clock to the bracket

powder coat it silver and stick it on ebay
could offer the option of painting the clock hands in the colour of the buyers 928

well that's the plan :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By linderpat
Now that's a great idea! Can't wait to see it. :beerchug:
By Hey_Allen
Hmm....

I have an extra 15" phone dial wheel that was mixed in with the 16" wheels on my 78. This might be good a use for said wheel, and give me a nice clock for the new garage once I'm moved.
By worf
What’s great about it also…

… is that those under 35-ish won’t know what it is. :lol2:
Hey_Allen liked this
By Stepson
Worf,

ROTFLMAO!!!!

How F'ing true!!
By WyattsRide
Great idea. Can't wait to see the finished product.
By h2pmr
worf wrote:What’s great about it also…

… is that those under 35-ish won’t know what it is. :lol2:
thats a good point
i will have to fast rack my design and production of a carriage clock made from a cam belt sprocket before my target demographic start to pass away..... :burnout:

wheel now cut to 55m thick from outer rim edge to my cut line and a basic clean up, now just waiting for the mechanism to see how much room i need behind it before i make the mounting bracket
cheers
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By h2pmr
after much die grinding have managed to get the clock mechanism in the center hole of the wheel, i could not get a round mechanism that would take the large hands so it had to be a square mechanism.

new metal center cap to center it all.

large metal plate is what gets screwed to the wall and will have five of the threaded bars welded to it, same pitch as a std porsche wheel nut, the nut pictured on the bar is what the wheel will tighten onto so as to keep the wheel 20mm'ish off the wall.

still need to secure the mechanism to the wheel and get the wheel powder coated silver and the plate and threaded bar powder coated black, then get the numbers stuck on.

might spray the hands guards red.

and a first look at the cam sprocket desk top clock, need 2 sprockets to hide the mechanism, but that might be for another thread
cheers
Phil
By h2pmr
:thumbup:
XR4Tim, Crumpler, linderpat liked this
By linderpat
those clocks are fantastic. You'd sell out up at Carlisle this weekend if you made a bunch for sale.
By h2pmr
linderpat wrote:those clocks are fantastic. You'd sell out up at Carlisle this weekend if you made a bunch for sale.
thanks, still only about 50% done but they are turning out better than i had hoped, so far.

i was trying to think what was on at Carlisle this weekend as its only 25 miles from me, but i guess you don't mean the Carlisle in Cumbria, England :drink:
cheers
Phil
By h2pmr
after much drilling and tapping have finally secured the mechanism to the wheel, the plate has been tapped and the bolts screw onto the mechanism, very gently and the lock nuts stop the bolts from moving.

seems these mechanisms are very sensitive to pressure on the shaft or their body which can effect the accuracy.
so have been testing it for the last 36 hours and so far its keeping the correct time :thumbup: :thumbup:

wall mounting plate ready to get the wheel bolts welded on next week, wheel spacer used to keep them all vertical.
assume the spacer is the clock face and the top nuts are wheel nuts and you get the picture.

just ordered 5 porsche wheel nuts and once the welding is done, wheel gets powder coated silver and the mounting plate in gloss black.
so fingers crossed my next post will be the finished article
cheers
Phil
By linderpat
h2pmr wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:35 pm
linderpat wrote:those clocks are fantastic. You'd sell out up at Carlisle this weekend if you made a bunch for sale.
thanks, still only about 50% done but they are turning out better than i had hoped, so far.

i was trying to think what was on at Carlisle this weekend as its only 25 miles from me, but i guess you don't mean the Carlisle in Cumbria, England :drink:
cheers
Phil
Woops! Never looked at your location :hiding: :silenced:
By h2pmr
all back from the powder coaters yesterday, the wheel has been done all over front and back.

still has the patina of a used wheel under the nice powder coating, as with the powder coated used wheel nuts

i found it easier to align it by gently tightening the wheel nuts until they bottomed out on the threaded bar and then gently tighten the locking nuts onto the rear face of the wheel

from wall to outside face of the clock its just short of 5"

still not sure if it needs the 9 2 8 numbers stuck onto it, but will try them on this afternoon and see how they look.
and might fit a tyre valve into its original hole to add to the original wheel look

but has turned out quite well

cheers
Phil
Bertrand Daoust, XR4Tim liked this
By Bertrand Daoust
Very nice.

Well done.

I would not put the 9-2-8 numbers.
It's perfect like that.
By h2pmr
Bertrand Daoust wrote:Very nice.

Well done.

I would not put the 9-2-8 numbers.
It's perfect like that.
thanks Bertrand, i stuck the 2 on it and just was not going to look right, so its just staying as it is

and just weighed it for potential postage and the whole assembly is 9.5kg so not a light weight.

cheers
Phil
78 in Fort worth

Ed that would look good with new tan carpets and b[…]

Ineos Grenadier

It’s not an SUV. It’s a hardcore offro[…]

This upcoming DFW First Saturday Breakfast will be[…]

Looks like I have one tracked down. Thanks guys[…]