8 cylinder front engine iconic vehicle
By hessank
Good Day everyone. Are any of you using this product from WeatherTech (no affiliation)?
Looks like it is pre-cut
By linderpat
considering how expensive the H4'sare, that is an excellent idea. I little protection could mean the difference between broken gla$$ and not broken glass. I had one broken years ago, and the replacement then was $400.
By h2pmr
i have not used the product, but maybe more suited to the plastic headlight/ fog lights on all modern vehicles rather than a 928 glass headlight.
but looks like you can cover your pet in it?????
By GUMBALL
This is also available from McMaster -Carr in rolls of various widths.
It is marketed as "Surface Protection Tape", in thicknesses of .008" and .014" thickness
(also known as "Helicopter Tape")

One can purchase a whole roll for less than this "kit"
Last edited by GUMBALL on Tue May 03, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worf liked this
By linderpat
considering how expensive the H4'sare, that is an excellent idea. I little protection could mean the difference between broken gla$$ and not broken glass. I had one broken years ago, and the replacement then was $400.
hessank liked this
By hessank
linderpat wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:01 pm considering how expensive the H4'sare, that is an excellent idea. I little protection could mean the difference between broken gla$$ and not broken glass. I had one broken years ago, and the replacement then was $400.

Same here. I had to replace 1 a few years back. Quite an expensive item so protecting them would appear to make sense.
I can't believe no one's using any protectors. I borrowed this picture from Bertrand to show how inviting they are to rocks

By Stepson
I bought the heaviest gauge plastic protectorate I could find on Amazon and just cut 8" circles in it and stuck them on. The remainder was used for the basically rectangular foglights on the GTS. The car has made trips to both the South Dakota Rendezvous and SITM and the protection is still there.
hessank liked this
By Bertrand Daoust
I have some left over of 3M Scotchgard Pro Series film (8 mil I think) that I bought for another project.
Might try that on all the front glass lenses (if I have enough)...
By Gary Knox
I had some Lamin-X protection film left over from what I'd bought for a previous classic car, so cut two 7.5" diameter disks for the headlights. My headlights are H-5 DOT, so they have the three 'bumps'. I've had H-4's and really prefer them, but I will probably never drive this car at night, so the H-5's are OK - just don't want them to get 'stoned'. I carefully identified the locations of those bumps and used a 3/8" hole cutter to create the holes in the Lamin-X disks. Applied the disks using standard techniques (thin mist of water on headlight). and they are now protected. I had previously used the same film on the fog/aux lights.

Don't need much film, to protect these 4 lights. Probably 2.5 square feet at most.

One caveat - if you have the fogs operating as DRL's, you may want to install lower wattage (or LED) bulbs. A friend found that the reduced heat transfer resulting from the film on the glass actually resulted in a cracked lens.
Rear Brake line Seized

Just watched a video on that tool...that's bad a[…]

100% the new bearings. The others were completely […]

1985 Speedo Issues Part 2

Hey everyone! I've been working on the guards red […]

For what it is worth, only the rear Yokes are Po[…]